Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/Digital Preamp/Headphone Amp Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
As at home in an office as it would be in a two-channel listening room, the Emotiva XDA-2 has just about everything you'd want out of a digital preamp. Integrating high quality components, support for 24-bit/192kHz files, balanced design with an immunity to jitter , and a high-current headphone amp, the XDA-2 can be just about anything you need. While it doesn't support analogue inputs, it doesn't pretend to. Instead, this is an audiophile device for the digital age. We're betting this will be a popular present this Christmas. At least it would be welcome under our tree.

Discuss "Emotiva XDA-2 DAC/Digital Preamp/Headphone Amp Preview" here. Read the article.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Addressed the 2 short-comings of the XDA-1
1) Fixed the questionable volume implementation from the XDA-1
2) 24/192 on the USB input

Added a headphone amp.

Not too shabby, especially at the price point.

I picked up the XDA-1 for $200 on clearance and it fits my needs fine. If I were in the market for a DAC, this one would be hard to pass up.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
just received mine 2 days ago, very pleased with it.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I've been thinking of getting one. It would look sharp with my 2 channel rig and it has a lot of functionality at a reasonable price. I wonder if there is still enough time left to shoot a letter to the north pole asking for one? Or does Santa do e-mails? :D

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Just a side note, owners on the Emotiva forum have found that the XDA doesn't play nice with Mac or linux, and some Windows users had found it made some kind of screeching noise with certain files too. Emotiva has been hard at work on this though I'm not sure if they've got all of the bugs worked out yet.

So if you plan to use it with a computer, I'd check on that first.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Just a side note, owners on the Emotiva forum have found that the XDA doesn't play nice with Mac or linux, and some Windows users had found it made some kind of screeching noise with certain files too. Emotiva has been hard at work on this though I'm not sure if they've got all of the bugs worked out yet.

I can't believe Emotiva didn't test this in depth. But it's typical of everything that is NON amps with them. Push it out and let the users find the problems. Well at least they know what the problem might be.
The Emotiva Lounge - XDA-2 issues. Help!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Mac/Linux issues I guess associated to USB connection, I doubt these issues apply to SPD/IF interface....

Imho xda-2 is a bit too big on both size and price to fit on the desk, but then again it is a good deal if balanced connection is a must for you.

M

mlknez

Enthusiast
You say it does all of my digital formats...

Does it handle ALAC, DSD, MLP, or APE?
Will it handle Dolby Tru-HD audio only and DTS-MA audio only?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

it does any digital format, as long as it's PCM :D;) [my guess]

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic

From the manual -

Formats and Bit Rates Supported:
Stereo PCM digital audio via S/PDIF (optical and electrical) and AES/EBU,
sample rates of 44.1k, 88.2k, 96k, 176.4k, and 192k at 16 bits and 24 bits depth.
Stereo PCM digital audio via USB (USB Audio Class 2),
sample rates and bit depths up to 192k/24 supported.
(File type support determined by player software; support for individual
sample rates varies by player, operating system, and driver.)​

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
they released the xda-2 before the drivers for the USB. So when they did, there was some people getting problems with it, they are working on a fix. This is only with USB, im using toslink right now until the usb is all good. They have been pretty good with keeping up with it though.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
If they would just add a crossover and sub-out so I could run 2.1 without having to use high-level inputs on the sub; it would be irresistible.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If they would just add a crossover and sub-out so I could run 2.1 without having to use high-level inputs on the sub; it would be irresistible.
Go to Guitar Center and look at any number of USB audio interfaces with 4 outputs and custom DSP mixer.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Couple of initial impressions after unboxing my new XDA-2 last night:

1. I already dislike the remote. If the remote to Emo's CD player is similar, I can see why Irv had a problem with the sharp edges on it (IIRC). On the petty side, it's also irritating to get a new toy and have to remove a few screws to get to the batteries in the remote to remove the insulator included for shipping.

2. Overall fit and finish seems OK (I haven't tried to rip out an RCA jack or anything), but not quite up to the standard of my XPA-200 (basic connectors vs the bits of audio jewelry on the amplifier).

3. That's a big power cord, especially for a preamp...

4. It is definitely deep, and judging by the interior shot, much more than really needed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis