FCC Forces Cable Companies to Support HD Streaming on Network Devices

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sometimes I feel that we are too critical of cable companies, but the FCC surely doesn’t feel that way because they are forcing all cable companies to support streaming HD content to network devices by 2014. This means that you will be able to watch your shows, live and recorded, on any device on your home network. Additionally, cable companies are required to allow you to record HD content on any device in your home. We think cable companies should already be supporting this technology, but in typical fashion they are resisting change and trying to keep the status quo.

Discuss "FCC Forces Cable Companies to Support HD Streaming on Network Devices" here. Read the article.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
That's great! But I do feel a rate increase on the way.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Cables companies need to set up there subscriptions "a la carte". I'm in the process of researching HD antenae's and dumping cable all together. Paying almost $100 a month to get FX, AMC and HGTV is ridiculous. I can already stream content via a Sony BD, Samsung tv, multiple computers, an Ipad, and 2 xbox's so what are they updating that will affect me? Are they going to charge me more to stream content on these devices? I already pay them for bandwidth. I will bet they will find a way to charge you for using data like the cell companies do, or slow down your stream in a way that may make watching tv via streaming painful.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I can already stream most premium content on all of my devices in HD. Not everything, but AMC, hbo, and movie central are all available to me, and that's most of what I watch. Canada for the win!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have cable. I stream 80% of everything I watch. :)

IMO, the only reason the cable companies are resisting is because they will have to have a new device that can do this or an add on that does it from the existing boxes. Not simply a firmware update on existing equipment, so it makes sense they would be less inclined to do it. It isn't like it is a bad thing for them though.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I don't have cable. I stream 80% of everything I watch. :)

IMO, the only reason the cable companies are resisting is because they will have to have a new device that can do this or an add on that does it from the existing boxes. Not simply a firmware update on existing equipment, so it makes sense they would be less inclined to do it. It isn't like it is a bad thing for them though.
I dumped cable. I subscribe to HBO so I can use "GO" but that's it. I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO GO for my entertainment. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis