$6,000 Recommended Two-Channel Stereo System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
For many people, listening to music on a great two-channel system for the first time is like rediscovering their music collection. There are innumerable combinations of equipment that one could choose and it can be a very daunting task for anyone to sift through the options and put together a well rounded system. In our recommendations, we decided to focus on proven brands and equipment that most people can find or order at a local HiFi shop. We also wanted to allow you to play all of the music you can find, so we included SACD and USB functionality. Each piece in this system is matched in quality with the other components, and a couple of alternatives for each piece of equipment are provided. This is certainly not a budget system, but rather a system that will allow someone to take a leap into high-end audio with confidence that the end result will be sonic bliss.

Discuss "$6,000 Recommended Two-Channel Stereo System" here. Read the article.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Speakers: Philharmonic 3 -3500
AVR: Onkyo TX-8050 - $280 (optional XPA-2)
Source: BDP-103 - $500
Cables: Monoprice or if fancy BJC - well under $100

I could live with same Panamax filter.
Total: under 5k and have better result

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Speakers: Philharmonic 3 -3500
AVR: Onkyo TX-8050 - $280 (optional XPA-2)
Source: BDP-103 - $500
Cables: Monoprice or if fancy BJC - well under $100

I could live with same Panamax filter.
Total: under 5k and have better result
I bet Cliff it would take about a day or two till someone came in this thread and recommended alternatives but it seems I underestimated :rolleyes:

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Looks pretty impressive, although I like separate subs, but the martins seem to be good down to 42hz.. I tryed my stsem with just a set of towers but ended up adding the subs to help fill the space with sound...

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Looks pretty impressive, although I like separate subs, but the martins seem to be good down to 42hz.. I tryed my stsem with just a set of towers but ended up adding the subs to help fill the space with sound...

Agreed. I think any 2 channel system I would put together would still have a subwoofer in it, preferably multiples. It's not like the rules for getting quality bass response all of the sudden changed because it's a dedicated 2 channel.

Holding on to the old rules of what makes a 2 channel system seems backwards thinking to me.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Agreed. I think any 2 channel system I would put together would still have a subwoofer in it, preferably multiples. It's not like the rules for getting quality bass response all of the sudden changed because it's a dedicated 2 channel.

Holding on to the old rules of what makes a 2 channel system seems backwards thinking to me.
A powered sub could always be added but there is something to be said about having just a pair of very bass capable speakers without using external subs. I wrestle this in my own system which features $50k/pair speakers. The bass integration is so good and deep on my speakers that turning on my additional 2 subs is either no needed or sometimes a tad overpowering.

For 2CH systems with powered subs, I like to have the subs very close to the main speakers and configured in stereo even if it doesn't always produce the best measurable results. I enjoy having stereo bass and crossing the subs over a bit higher than 80Hz in these cases.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If I were to go two channel on that budget, I would definitely have subs, but that's because of the music I listen to. I'm not sure what speakers I would go with exactly, but they would be bookshelf speakers. I would certainly give some higher end KEF speakers an audition, and I would also like to hear those JBL LSR6332 speakers. I wouldn't need a fancy amp or source, I would go for a H/K 3490 receiver and keep things simple. Subs would likely be dual Hsus or Rythmiks, or a single Submersive. That would be a killer system.

S

Subwoofernut

Audiophyte
Close, But 2.1 With Those speakers!

Back the CD drive down to a Marantz 5004 or the Emotiva ERC-2. Replace the pricey Yamaha with an Onkyo A-9070 with pre-out jacks, and add the sub of your choice: Paradigm, SVS, HSU, Rythmik...Those 8" woofers in the Martin's are going to satisfy only the smallest rooms. Get Some Bass.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
A powered sub could always be added but there is something to be said about having just a pair of very bass capable speakers without using external subs. I wrestle this in my own system which features $50k/pair speakers. The bass integration is so good and deep on my speakers that turning on my additional 2 subs is either no needed or sometimes a tad overpowering.

For 2CH systems with powered subs, I like to have the subs very close to the main speakers and configured in stereo even if it doesn't always produce the best measurable results. I enjoy having stereo bass and crossing the subs over a bit higher than 80Hz in these cases.
I agree, I put my subs right next to my towers and I run them stereo, I change the cross over depending on what I'm listening to usually between 65-85hz, that's why I like the Wharfedale subs they have remotes so I can change the level and crossover with out getting out of my seat...

I also prefer sealed subs for music, not HUGE subs either, and I found a lot of the HT subs aren't music friendly. I tried sb and pb 12's, and a couple HSU's the sealed Wharfedales sounded so much more musical vs rumbly {yes rumbly like winnie the pooh}...

Edit- I don't know why in this pic my walls look pink and carpet looks filthy, damn htc cam, I just built this house and it looks like it needs floors... But you can tell my ceilings are high, this room is about 400 sq feet with 24' ceilings, that go up to my upstairs loft and is also ipen to my office dining room and staircase, essentially a hard room to fill with music, and these small towers with 2 subs are more than enough... And yes I know- my speaker wires are on the carpet, I haven't made the stands yet...

I would have loved a set of Opus2-3's in here but my wife put her foot down and said no speakers larger than the towers in our theater which are only 340se's on the aa stands... But I would put my system against the above system, and I only spent $2200 total {all new nothing used}.
$6K you can build a heck of a system.. Opus 2-3's with dual sw380's thats 2 15's, 4-10's, 2 tweets, and 2 mids with an xpa2 {cost about $5000}...

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I run a pair of GE Triton 2s. Powered stereo subs in the same location as the speakers. I think it is ideal for 2 channel music.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Note about Recommended Systems

Guys;

Cliff is a pro installer and I've asked him to assemble a bunch of new recommended systems for the site using what is available via the Estore and/or established ID brands, making it as easy as possible to purchase everything from one or two sources. But we also only recommend equipment we've either reviewed or heard in person so sometimes the options can be a bit limited.

I will have him do a couple of two-channel sub satellite systems as well. The Studio series from Def tech are a solid option and a PSB satellite / sub system may be another good one.

I shy away from some of the less known ID companies not so much b/c their product may or may not be good but b/c some of them don't have an established track record yet and we don't want a Shifter surprise to happen to any of our readers :)

S

Subwoofernut

Audiophyte
Agree on the subs. In an earlier day (and budget) I ran dual Yamaha YST120's on a spare pre-out for discrete left and right. It sounded great! . . . Now, if I sit on the coffee table to hear the sweet spot am I in trouble?:rolleyes:

S

Subwoofernut

Audiophyte
Font Errata....

Oh, dear. In my defense, though, I was raised on the font defying genius of Walt Kelly, creator of Pogo Possum and the entire swamp crew. Thus fed a wild variety of fonts and styles...I know no bounds! Really.;)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I see the most common systems asked about on here are mostly mid budget and low budget. Not many "I have $60k to spend on a pair of bookshelves and matching amp" threads...

I know I did a lot of research and listening to come up with my 5 systems, a lot of trial and error, asking for advice, and a few "ooops, we will ship these back"'s...

On this forum I notice a lot of "best bang for buck" questions, and I would like to see reviews setup for such things...
for example-
A complete 2.1 PC system and a 5.1 theater system {25/75 music/theater}.

This review is also good, but I think 2.2 or 2.1 music systems are more popular now, since you can use a smaller tower or bookshelf with a sub and sound like you have a couple monster towers firing...

So when you do your reviews try to do them all together, so people have an idea what to expect.
Like my PC system is an Audioengine d1, with a mini-x amp, a pair of 170se's and a sw300 sub, I tryed a few different combos {sent back a pair of sierras, a Fiio dac, and a TBI amplifier{learned that all reviews aren't true with that piece} plus I tried a few different combos, including Pioneer bookshelfs, Klipsch, and energy {learned horns dont belong 15"s from your face}. Until I came up with this set, the 200se's were a close second but they felt like they needed the sub, with the 170's the sub is optional but nice to have...
So for under $1000 its a very nice pc system, and I would say I couldnt build one better for twice the price, this makes it a good bang for buck system in my book... My office isnt huge, probably only around 120sq feet and with that little EMO amp, you cant put it more than half way up with out being uncomfortable, and if you close your eyes you cant place any of the speakers, so they are not blaring and obvious to where the sound is coming from...

Anyway, I can't wait to read some system reviews, I would like to see some side by sides, like an AVR/3 ch amp, 5.1 system for under $2000 vs the store brand $4000 system...

Also with the terrible speakers built into the new led tv's, Im sure bar and 3.1 systems are going to be getting very popular.. may want to start reviewing them

Last edited:
B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I did a lot of research before putting together my 2 channel rig. The feedback on this site was really helpful. I'm not a huge fan of adding a sub to a 2 channel system dedicated for music but that may say a lot about the kind of music I listen to, :D. So I like the idea of floorstanders that go pretty deep; you get the lows and you don't have to mess around with integrating a sub with your full range speakers.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
NHT Xd 2.1 System - Original Finish - on clearance now 3999$

AppleTv - 99$ as transport
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus (as DAC) - 599$

Essentially replace the ML with NHT XD 2.1 and go wireless.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Cliff, Gene, By recommending $4000 in electronics to drive $2000 speakers aren't you going against everything this website stands for? Perhaps the "Be aesthetically pleasing on the eyes and evoke a sense of pride in ownership" got prioritized higher than anything else.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis