Energy Power 10 & 12 Subwoofers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
No, the performance numbers of the Energy Power 10 and Power 12 subwoofers won't blow you away. But these subs are not for you. With price tags at $199 and $299 respectively, the Energy Power 10 and Power 12 subs are squarely targeted at those on a budget that are looking to build their first systems. To those people, the new Energy Power subs are sure to impress both in how hard they hit and with their price. While they won't make their way into our home theaters, the new Energy Power subs have easily made our recommendation list.

Discuss "Energy Power 10 & 12 Subwoofers Preview" here. Read the article.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Wow it seems to me that Energy is trying to become a bottom of the barrel budget brand. I realize that these are not aimed at the bass head but more of the HTIB crowd, but wasn't Energy more of a premium mid level brand? Now it looks like crappy products with an Energy sticker slapped on the front.

Great way to devalue a brand.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Geeez, just when I was eyeing up an SVS PC sub this review comes out ... tough choice now. :rolleyes:

Steve

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow it seems to me that Energy is trying to become a bottom of the barrel budget brand. I realize that these are not aimed at the bass head but more of the HTIB crowd, but wasn't Energy more of a premium mid level brand? Now it looks like crappy products with an Energy sticker slapped on the front.

Great way to devalue a brand.
Energy was acquired by Harmon/Infinity. They probably decided that Energy had a better sub rep than Infinity so put the Energy name on their new sub.

Harmon/Infinity is an interesting company. They have occasionally supported some very low pricing on Energy Speakers and subs, just as they do for the Infinity Primus P363. I'm not sure how this practice fits into their overall business model. They may figure that if they can get their P363's in the hands of young audiophiles, they will buy upscale Infinities later in life. Perhaps they are doing the same with Energy (but I don't think Energy had any products that were budget/value oriented - low quality finish, etc.)?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Energy was acquired by Harmon/Infinity. They probably decided that Energy had a better sub rep than Infinity so put the Energy name on their new sub.

Harmon/Infinity is an interesting company. They have occasionally supported some very low pricing on Energy Speakers and subs, just as they do for the Infinity Primus P363. I'm not sure how this practice fits into their overall business model. They may figure that if they can get their P363's in the hands of young audiophiles, they will buy upscale Infinities later in life. Perhaps they are doing the same with Energy (but I don't think Energy had any products that were budget/value oriented - low quality finish, etc.)?
Harman did not buy Energy.

API (Mirage, Energy, Athena, and a couple others) was acquired by Klipsch several years ago. Audiovox bought Klipsch last year.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Harman did not buy Energy.

API (Mirage, Energy, Athena, and a couple others) was acquired by Klipsch several years ago. Audiovox bought Klipsch last year.
Thank you, sir!:)

It was Klipsch and I can't remember $hit!:eek:

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The S10.3 goes for less than the Energy 12, yet would probably walk all over it. And it's "discontinued"? How sad this is... :(

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Shame to see the direction the Energy brand is heading...

Klipsch slipped on the noose... and Audiovox pulled it tight...

Audiovox already killed off Mirage entirely.

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
At a glance, these looked like a pair of decent sealed subs. Once I saw that rear slot port I knew things were going to get disappointing real quick.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Wow, that's dirt cheap. Fire sale perhaps? My guess is Energy isn't selling too many 'subwoofers' that are only able to get down to 35Hz. That seems more like the spec from a sub with an 8" driver, not one with a 12" driver. I didn't realize it was that small though.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I actually think they were on sale for $50 several months ago, but it might have been $100. Not sure.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The S10.3 goes for less than the Energy 12, yet would probably walk all over it. And it's "discontinued"? How sad this is... :(
Jman did you ever do a review for the S10.3? Weird with the volume control on the front.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Jman did you ever do a review for the S10.3? Weird with the volume control on the front.
I never had the opportunity to review one of those. Most of the comments I saw were very positive, so I would have liked to hear one.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
10.3 was one of the last real Energy subs. This new models have Audiovox written all over it. Ruining one good name at the time
Audiovox Buys Klipsch Group (Jamo, Mirage, Energy and Athena) | Audioholics....

They are cheap for a reason.. they are crap, but what the heck - for only $100 it's only competing with monoprice and dayton subs
It's all about the S12.3. Listed in the top 10 in Tom Nousiane's 25-62hz average Max Output list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvieXs2IbzIfdFB1dVFtLW5HeF9yb1o2TjIyU2F1Unc&hl=en_US#gid=0

As for Energy as a whole, and someone that runs API speakers in his system (Energy Fronts, Mirage Rear) I am thoroughly disgusted with what happened to my beloved Canadian brands. I will be picking up some more speakers on Boxing day to fill out the center and rear center positions (will probably buy 7.1 configuration even though I only have 6.1 capabilities, only because they might all disappear). The Energy Veritas speakers were my all time favorites. They had a sound signature that was specifically what I wanted. Shame they don't make then anymore. I've seen them for sale on classifieds, but I would rather have had the option to purchase them new.

SheepStar

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Has anyone actually heard these subs? Everything I'm reading here is based on specs. Best Buy has the Power 12 for $90 (in store only)
Energy - Power 12" 150W Powered Subwoofer - ENERGY POWER 12 SUB

While I would love to get 2 SVS PB12-NSD's to go along with my KEF LS50's, SVS's recommended matching wizard result, the idea of spending $1538.00 does not compute, especially in a 14'x14' room and the size of the unit ... for me ... is just too much. I have one now in my main room and it compliments my Focal's fantastically and I love it's musicality, which is what I'm trying to do in the office. Obviously I not going to get the same results for $180.00 but if it sounds good enough to my ears, what the hell. I think I'll be making a road trip today. Worst case scenario I can give them away to my non-audiophile friends if it doesn't work out for me after a month or two.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis