Orb Audio Peoples Choice Mod2 Speaker System Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
These may not look like much, but these little spheres are speakers from Orb Audio. The company has a unique approach to audio that is simplistic. These Mod2 speakers, for example, are full-range drivers rated at 8-ohms. Orb does something unusual, however. They let you configure the aptly-named Mod speakers as singles, pairs or even quads - letting you achieve more output. Each Orb speaker has a frequency response of around 120Hz-18kHz, but when you gang them up and increase the output, we found that the response gets more efficient. In either case, crossing over these speakers to the included Super Eight Subwoofer really brings the system together.

Discuss "Orb Audio Peoples Choice Mod2 Speaker System Video Review" here. Read the article.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Orb is still getting reviewed in this day and age? Hasn't it been around 10 years since they've had any real update to the Mods? I think they're pretty much the original design, aren't they? Just curious, why do a review now?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I love small speakers because, though I wouldn't make any my primary system, it's just cool to listen to something that seems to defy the laws of physics. And their cute.

Would love to see some recommended small systems.

The audioengine A2s sound amazing, though are limited in output. Still, 6 of these with the S8 sub comes in at less than $1k and they're powered.

For towers, Aperions previous generation 4T caught my eye at a trade show, and I went to their listening room in Portland while on vacation to check them out. Of course they're 100x the size of the orbs, but half the size of most Tower Speakers. Once again, just cute.

The Boston Soundware Cubes are intreguing. I haven't heard them, and they're about 1.5 inches larger than the orbs, but they have a 2-way design and audioholics seemed to like them pretty well: Boston Acoustics SoundWare Indoor/Outdoor Speaker Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

I think the orbs definitely have their place in the lifestyle market, but I, like the previous poster, would love to see an updated design pushing the envelope on what we could expect from small audio.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I think the orbs definitely have their place in the lifestyle market, but I, like the previous poster, would love to see an updated design pushing the envelope on what we could expect from small audio.
I actually owned the Orbs at one point, so I know first hand about their shortcomings. For what they are -- a very cheap driver in a metal sphere -- they sound pretty good, but no matter how many of them you use they don't quite cut it.

If you want to check out other small speakers try this link.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis