Bob Carver VTA20S Black Magic 20 Watt Stereo Amplifier Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A 20 watt stereo tube amp that is bridgeable to 40 watts into a single channel, the $2100 Bob Carver Black Magic 20 is sure to turn heads. We love the look of the amp and the pedigree of the manufacturer can't be denied. While we have to hold our noses as we dig through all the audiophile psuedo-science and marketing speak, we're sure this is a quality offering. Now, if only we could get a review unit.

Discuss "Bob Carver VTA20S Black Magic 20 Watt Stereo Amplifier Preview" here. Read the article.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
While I know that tub amps has nostalgia to it. I personally would not pend $2100 on a 40 watt Amp, I dont care who makes it.. Perhaps others may be interested.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
While I know that tub amps has nostalgia to it. I personally would not pend $2100 on a 40 watt Amp, I dont care who makes it.. Perhaps others may be interested.
Agreed, I think they are selling image and mystique to buyers who will pay for that. For audio purposes you could do a lot more with 21 C-notes!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Be interesting to A/B the Carvin T100 50WPC tube amp (at $599) against the Carver design.

I wonder what Bob has figured out that the engineers at Carvin haven't when it comes to tube amps.

L

lesser evil

Enthusiast
Carver and tubes?

Mr. Carver's career seems to have taken full circle. Wikipedia indicates that he was once known for designing inexpensive amps that matched the perfrormance of much more expensive models. Just gotta wonder whether this is a cheeky exercise on his part.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Mr. Carver's career seems to have taken full circle. Wikipedia indicates that he was once known for designing inexpensive amps that matched the perfrormance of much more expensive models. Just gotta wonder whether this is a cheeky exercise on his part.
Nope, just genius in recognizing that a fool and their money can be easily parted and figuring out a way to exploit it.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
lotta trash talking about a guy thats been building amps in the audio industry for over 40 years. he's "exploiting" people, really? :rolleyes: similar "audiophile" amps go for 10x the cost of this one.

jinjuku

jinjuku

All I know is I gotta figure out how to get people to give me $800 for $50 worth of cable parts... A marketer I am not:(

Bob isn't the only one with 40 years in the industry. There are a lot of great designers out there. David Hafler made some really affordable great sounding amps that were bullet proof. The DH 220 is a hallmark amp: Affordable, simple in design and reliable.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
lotta trash talking about a guy thats been building amps in the audio industry for over 40 years. he's "exploiting" people, really? :rolleyes: similar "audiophile" amps go for 10x the cost of this one.
Until you can explain why this one costs over $2k a comparison to higher priced things does not make it less exploitative.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've been into high-end audio for decades, but I've never understood tube power amps. What's the point? Now that engineers are figuring out full-range Class D solid state amps even Class AB solid state amps are entering the "Why bother?" realm. Tubes, vinyl, analog tape... audio romance and maybe some pleasant roll-offs or second harmonic distortion.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Wiki can be edited by anybody. Fan boys and haters can change it at will. It is not the absolute fact.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Until you can explain why this one costs over $2k a comparison to higher priced things does not make it less exploitative.
I think the smart guys call it the economy of scale or something like that. Maybe with the numbers being produced that's just the price it takes to keep everybody involved interested. Exploitative might be too strong a word.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Be interesting to A/B the Carvin T100 50WPC tube amp (at $599) against the Carver design.

I wonder what Bob has figured out that the engineers at Carvin haven't when it comes to tube amps.
That's easy!
$600 for the Amplifier + $1500 for the Black Magic mat'ls and incantation = $2100 for Black Magic Amp!;)

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think the smart guys call it the economy of scale or something like that. Maybe with the numbers being produced that's just the price it takes to keep everybody involved interested. Exploitative might be too strong a word.
Nice to know I'm not a smart guy....I do agree with you though, just pointing out that saying "there are more expensive things" is not a valid point.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice to know I'm not a smart guy....I do agree with you though, just pointing out that saying "there are more expensive things" is not a valid point.
I meant that I was trying to emulate the smart guys ... as in not being one myself. Also I'm not sure if that is worded right. You know it might be 'economics' instead of economy. I had no intent of commenting on your intelligence. I'm sure it's well within functioning parameters and I'll be more careful wording stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis