Marantz 03 Series Slimline Recievers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Marantz NR1403 is a bare bones receiver with some of the best bones we've ever seen. With discrete amplification, tons of HDMI inputs, and Audyssey MultEQ, it is a new buyer's dream at $400. But if you want more, Marantz has it with the NR1603. Adding video upconversion, two channels of amplification, a second zone, Apple AirPlay and other streaming options, you are getting a lot for your additional $250. Add to that the attractive slimline case and you've got a product that will be turning heads not only of first time buyers but those that are looking for a second (or third) receiver. Great looks and features, reasonably priced, compact form factor, and carrying the Marantz name- what's not to like?

Discuss "Marantz 03 Series Slimline Recievers Preview" here. Read the article.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
it's receivers like this that imo would most benefit from pre-outs, sadly they are sure to not have them.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
it's receivers like this that imo would most benefit from pre-outs, sadly they are sure to not have them.
They do have pre-outs for the front left/right speakers, so at least you could run an amp for those if you wanted. I'm guessing that most people looking for a slimline receiver want to use minimal space and aren't wanting to add in amps, though.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The spec's say "Audyssey MultEQ", so I guess it's just the generic version and not one of the XT variants? I've been keeping a watchful eye on this AVR because I need something slimmer then the traditional style. I was hoping when they redesigned the 1602 Marantz would add XT at least (I wasn't really expecting XT32). It sounds as though they didn't unfortunately.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I read the manual for the 1603 and thought it had just the right combination of features without too much extra junk you'd never use. One downside though is it is only rated at 50 wpc (standard FTC 2 channels driven like all other receivers).

I find it curious though that a 'slim' receiver, which presumably you'd buy if you were limited in placement options, recommends 12" of space on top and to each side.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My buddy just bought a 1402 and says he really likes it.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I picked up a 1501 a few months back for my living room system where I use a sound bar and had a tight space. It works well for that usage but like MDS says with the limited power output I would not want to use it where I wanted a true theater sound.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
And/or Class D amps. Somebody (I think a German magazine) benched the 1603 (I think) and it was not pretty...

Pioneer apparently has a slimline deal with more suitable amplification for the form factor. Unfortunately they don't sell it in 120V form.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
I wish Marantz would offer this without the amps and add 7 channel pre outs. It would be the only reliable entry level processor on the market and would probably sell a ton of them around the $500-800 range.

Landshark1

Landshark1

Audiophyte
I just picked up a NR1403 for the bedroom. It drives 5 in ceiling DefTech speaker only. Just the perfect solution for a small system like this! :)

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
And/or Class D amps. Somebody (I think a German magazine) benched the 1603 (I think) and it was not pretty...
Link?

I have a NR1402 in my bedroom, and it works great for that application. I wouldn't use it in my main room unless I either bought much more sensitive speakers, or drove the L/R off an external amp, leaving the Marantz to drive the center only.

W

wgscott

Enthusiast
I have a NR1402 in my bedroom, and it works great for that application. I wouldn't use it in my main room unless I either bought much more sensitive speakers, or drove the L/R off an external amp, leaving the Marantz to drive the center only.
I have a NR1402 in my main room (which is big, and has a cathedral ceiling). I have a separate two-channel system for music, but for this, with 5 orb speakers and a Rel sub, it performs remarkably well, far beyond my hopes and expectations. I was really shocked by how good it is, especially for the price (you can now find it for $300).

Presumably the 1403 is a further improvement.

solarux

solarux

Enthusiast
Watt's up ?

Would either of these Rx's (@50W(rms) per/channel) be enough to drive my Klipsch F-30's comfortably , ...?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Would either of these Rx's (@50W(rms) per/channel) be enough to drive my Klipsch F-30's comfortably , ...?
Depends on the size of your room. At a stated 97.7 dB sensitivity, I'd say anything could power those comfortably in a typical room.

solarux

solarux

Enthusiast
Depends on the size of your room. At a stated 97.7 dB sensitivity, I'd say anything could power those comfortably in a typical room.
Hi, and Thanks,
The Room(s) are Living-Room (16x16), and Dining-Room(16x16).
Combined, they're approx. 16x32x8(Height), the wall between Living and Dining cuts it in half, but is mostly wide Open. It's a big rectangle.

The F-30's are kiddie-cornered on the living-room side, (corner-to-corner) across the (shorter) far 16' side, with the SW-112 subwoofer positioned about halfway along the longer 32' wall, just on the living-room side.
But mostly, we're sitting in the Living-room side for listening to music, ...

We recently moved, so I ditched our old bookshelf speakers, since they sounded almost useless now, in our bigger Living/Dining room, compared to our new Klipsch towers.

Last edited:

Kandiru

Audiophyte
Our 1403 refurb from ac4less is the centerpiece of the guestroom. Great sound for a tiny piece, no overheating for this Onkyo/Integra badge polisher:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis