Martin Logan Motion LX16 Bookshelf Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Martin Logan is typically known for their hybrid-electrostatic loudspeakers; however, they are now trying their hand at more traditional speakers, with a twist. The Martin Logan LX16 two-way bookshelf speakers ($799 pr.) utilize a proprietary Folded Motion tweeter. Martin Logan has reached a new price point, and consumer demographic, with the entire Motion Series. I found the LX16s to stand up to the Martin Logan name. No, the LX16s cannot really compare to Martin Logan's iconic hybrid electrostats, but they shouldn't be expected to at only a fraction of the cost. The LX16s have a beautiful finish, excellent aesthetics, and come in a reasonably small package. The 5.25" midrange driver hammers out a surprising amount of bass, and the Folded Motion tweeter is crisp and clean, if not a little bright. These speakers would work great in a standalone 2.1 system, or as main speakers in a 5.1 system. If you are in the market for good speakers with above average looks, give these a listen.

Discuss "Martin Logan Motion LX16 Bookshelf Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
To me, that looks like 4 bolts - that work with the magnetic grills.
Was there not a way to un-screw them, to remove the front plate,
and be able to remove the woofer?

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
To me, that looks like 4 bolts - that work with the magnetic grills.
Was there not a way to un-screw them, to remove the front plate,
and be able to remove the woofer?
Good observation, I thought the same thing as you.

I actually took out the 4 bolts and attempted to pry off the front baffle, but it would not come off. As I pried a little harder it sounded like glue was coming undone, so I stopped. :confused:

I took a look at the back, and didn't find any way to take off the rear panel either.

So, unfortunately no internal pics.

K

kmpurc56

Audiophyte
Comparison

Can you give me a comparison to the Aperion Grand Versus Bookshelf speakers?
I'm trying to shorten a list for purchasing a 4 bookshelves and a center for an system using the SVS PC12-NSD subwoofer. I'm also intrigued by using a bookshelf as my center for a matched set. I can always use the extra as a rear speaker in a 6.1 system. Could you help me here as well.

Thanks

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
I'm trying to shorten a list for purchasing a 4 bookshelves and a center for an system using the SVS PC12-NSD subwoofer. I'm also intrigued by using a bookshelf as my center for a matched set. I can always use the extra as a rear speaker in a 6.1 system. Could you help me here as well.

Thanks
I have not had the opportunity to listen to the Versus Grand bookshelf speaker, but Tom Andry was very impressed in his review. If you order them and don't like them, you can send them back for free.

Aperion Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Conclusion — Reviews and News from Audioholics

They are both relatively small speakers. The motion series is probably not as good of a value, if budget is your main concern. I would recommend stopping by your local AV shop, or a Magnolia HT, and listening to the rest of the Motion series. They all use the same Folded Motion tweeter, and are voiced the same. I can't tell you which speaker is better, but they are both good speakers. I can tell you that the Motion series is very forward sounding, a little bright at times. Otherwise, I really liked the speakers and would generally recommend them. But, go listen to them and see if you like them. That is the most important part.

Matching your front three speakers is a great idea. If you have the ability to use the same bookshelf speaker upfront, then go for it. It is a great idea.

However, you may consider dedicated surround channels. Martin Logan makes a Motion FX and Motion FX2 that are designed to be the matching surround speakers for the LX16s. Aperion doesn't make a dedicated surround speaker.

As far as 6.1, it typically doesn't do much good over 5.1. Ultimately, that depends on your room and receiver.

K

kmpurc56

Audiophyte
Response

Cliff, Thanks for you input. It was very helpfull.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Thanks
I did a detailed review of the Verus Booshelf speaker. Great little speaker but you need a sub if you want fullrange sound.

see: Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelf Speaker Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

Thanks
Here is a detailed comparison of a half-dozen internet direct (ID) speakers, one of which is the nice Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf speaker. The entire thread is a good read if you have the time...but you can start with post #95. Post #87 will tell you a little about the format used in doing the comparisons. Good luck with your search. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/67150-2010-great-northwest-gtg-10.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis