Marantz TT42 High-Performance Turntable Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Marantz TT42 may be a very basic turntable, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good one. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the high-priced offerings, it also doesn't have the price tag. At $330, you can have a brand new, high-performance, turntable for exploring your old LPs and some of the new ones that are being released. It is a bit to expensive to be an impulse buy but, for those that are wondering what the fuss is all about, it could be the perfect solution.

Discuss "Marantz TT42 High-Performance Turntable Preview" here. Read the article.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
You guys should do an affordable turntable shootout:

Marantz TT42
Audio-Technica AT-LP60
Pioneer PL-990
and Stanton has some decent priced TT as well

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would like to see reviews on turntables of the calibre of the ProJect Debut, Rega RP1, Music Hall 2.2 , etc.

Turntables/vinyl have never been an impulse buy. Its a lot of money to invest.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
My only complaints about the Marantz TT42 is it's 'hard-wired' RCA connector cable. Wish it had ports where one could use their own RCA cable. The dust cover hinges on mine wore out and had to be replaced (for me it was free) Otherwise it's gentle and quiet operation is top-notch. As automatic turntables go it's great. No frills, no bells & whistles, but it doesn't drop the needle on the record like a ton of bricks either.

Jack Keeton

Jack Keeton

Audiophyte
Hi I have 3 turntables at the moment, 1. Audio-Technica AT120-LP 2. Carerra LT120-Linear Tracking 3. Marantz TT42. I would have to say that I love my new Marantz better than the other 2, and I have an Ortofon 2M Blue on the Audio Technica. This turntable is fully automatic, it has a wonderful soundstage presence about it. I like the fact that it looks basic but yet elegant. Metaphorically speaking it is the little black dress of my turntables. I would gladly sell my other two turntables before even thinking about selling the Marantz. Now the story behind my Marantz is that I got it on ebay brand new in the box and it was a store shelf pull. I purchased my Marantz for 141.99 including shipping. I set this turntable up immediately and was blown away by the sound quality and stage presence. This has been one the best purchases that I have made on ebay. My Audio Technica was purchased brand new from ZZSounds and don't get me wrong I like it, but even with the more expensive stylus/cartridge (Ortofon 2M Blue) it doesn't sound as good as the Marantz. I know this is just my opinion but if a person is looking into getting into or back into vinyl and on a budget check out the Marantz TT42 turntable.

S

sterling shoote

This review tells me nothing about the turntable that might actually make me interested in purchasing it. Is the headshell removable? Can the tonearm be adjusted for height? Can the tonearm's azimuth be adjusted. I wonder did the reviewer listen to any records from this player to know if the automatic function functioned on all records? What's the signal to noise ratio and wow and flutter specification.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This review tells me nothing about the turntable that might actually make me interested in purchasing it. Is the headshell removable? Can the tonearm be adjusted for height? Can the tonearm's azimuth be adjusted. I wonder did the reviewer listen to any records from this player to know if the automatic function functioned on all records? What's the signal to noise ratio and wow and flutter specification.
It's a preview, not a review. More a marketing release.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
The preview is also more than 5 years old. Here are a few more details.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

In a nutshell, the TT42 has a removable cartridge, it is bolted to the tonearm as many other turntables are. It is belt driven. 33 1/3 & 45 rpm speeds. No 78 rpm. Nothing else is adjustable on the tonearm except it has a lever to raise and lower the tonearm if you want to manually move the needle to a specific track. It is an automatic turntable, meaning you press start, the record plays, at end of record the tonearm automatically lifts and returns to the resting position and the unit shuts off.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_642TT42/Marantz-TT42-Turntable-without-phono-preamp.html?search=marantz_tt42&skipvs=T

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis