Epson Home Cinema 5010 3D Projector Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We seem to be hitting a lot of projectors this year, but it's no surprise since most manufacturers are releasing new 3D models that can do justice to the newest 3D Blu-ray movies. The Home Cinema 5010 is Epson's 1080p 3D projector that targets the enthusiast... make that the premier enthusiast. The 5010 is the highest model in Epson's Home Cinema lineup and it's designed to produce the richest blacks, the highest contrast ratios and the most detailed picture possible. We utilize the company's 9700UB, which is the professional model of the 8700UB, which this projector replaces. The 5010 ups the output of its predecessor to 2400 lumens. Now while we don't typically need that much light in home theaters, in 3D mode you lose a significant amount of the brightness due to the way the glasses are constantly closing and opening over each eye. With 2400 lumens and custom calibration options for 3D, Epson takes care of that and lets you calibrate the set for optimal 3D performance.

<object height="229" width="450"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/b4_VpTUZZeU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="450" height="229" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/b4_VpTUZZeU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></embed></object>​

Discuss "Epson Home Cinema 5010 3D Projector Video Review" here. Read the article.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
It's becoming harder and harder to find an excuse not to invest in a projector. There's not need to mount them on the ceiling (a tall cheap bookshelf or some mounting brackets and plywood will do), get some blackout blinds (or some black garbage bags) to control the light and get a 106" screen from monoprice or newegg and you'll be in big screen heaven.

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
Looks like a nice projector but there is something that wasnt made clear.

HDMI doesnt expose the mode 1080p at 120Hz, even though HDMI has the bandwidth to do it with 24bit colour.
The projector cannot be used for stereo gaming at 1080p 120Hz, it will most likely use 720p at 120Hz.
1080p 3D is for movies (notably Blu Ray) at 24Hz -> 30Hz doubled up for stereo viewing to use a max of 60Hz refresh.

Bit of a shame, I'm keeping my eye out for decent large 120Hz displays at 1080p.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
Looks like a nice projector but there is something that wasnt made clear.

HDMI doesnt expose the mode 1080p at 120Hz, even though HDMI has the bandwidth to do it with 24bit colour.
The projector cannot be used for stereo gaming at 1080p 120Hz, it will most likely use 720p at 120Hz.
1080p 3D is for movies (notably Blu Ray) at 24Hz -> 30Hz doubled up for stereo viewing to use a max of 60Hz refresh.

Bit of a shame, I'm keeping my eye out for decent large 120Hz displays at 1080p.
I just bought the Epson 6010, basically the same projector, but it is black, comes with an extra bulb, mount, 3 year warranty and the auto lens shutter when powered off. I have not even hooked it up yet, but for the price point, I think it will be an acceptable gaming video source. :)

I think we are on the cusp of a major change in home projectors for movies and games, give it a bit more time and I think we will have the projectors we have all dreamed of.

I

icu4biz

Enthusiast
This is my first projector and I bought the Epson 5010 2 weeks ago.
I have been researching projectors for about 8 years and finally the quality of the projectors merged with my budget.
Totally impressed with this projector! The picture is as clear as my 60" Samsung plasma. It's playing on a 100" diag screen and very impressive. It is bright enought that some back lighting is ok.
The setup was easy, Epson cust support was helpful in answering a few questions such as mounting height and distance.
I had a pro consult with me a few days ago for speakers and accoustical treatments. Keep in mind he only sells the more expensive projectors. After the demo his first comment was that I have to brightness levels way too high. I take that as a compliment since you can always turn it down. He did not make many comments other than his body language. He was pleasanty surprised. Again, I have not made any calibrations yet on the unit.

J

Jerod81

Audioholic Intern
I just bought the Epson 6010, basically the same projector, but it is black, comes with an extra bulb, mount, 3 year warranty and the auto lens shutter when powered off. I have not even hooked it up yet, but for the price point, I think it will be an acceptable gaming video source. :)
How do you like it after a month of use? Pro's/Con's? I am very curious as I am putting together a HT in my basement, and am 99% sure I am going with the Epson 5010. :)

R

Rob Friedrichs

Audiophyte
I have had my 5010 for less than three years, and in that time Epson has replaced it twice due to catastrophic failure. After the second replacement unit, I knew the original warranty was about to expire so I begged Epson to extend the warranty given the problems we had already experienced. They refused, but assured me that this was a quality product and that I had just experienced "a run of bad luck". Well, that bad luck streak has continued since the projector malfunctioned again this weekend. For those keeping up with the story, that is now 3 separate units of this "quality product" that have gone out in less than three years. And since the original warranty has expired, Epson is unwilling to do anything to make it right. Almost $3,000 and three years after purchase, I now have a very expensive paperweight hanging from my ceiling. DO NOT BUY THIS PROJECTOR!!! It is obviously a lemon, and Epson will not make it right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis