IOCell NetDisk 351UNE: But Will it Stream Media?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
My past experience with network attached storage (NAS) was years ago, we called it the toaster and it held two drives with built-in redundancy; RAID 1. Mirrored drives gave my home network nicely backed-up storage via Ethernet. After assigning it an IP and mapping a drive letter to my PC I had access to Ethernet stored files. The NAS drive was great for backing up family pictures and an MP3 library. But did it stream? Forget about it! To any audio/video enthusiast affordable NAS was a major fail. The devices were expensive, complicated and slow. But that was almost ten years ago, surely the situation has improved since then – and it has. Nowadays there are several options including NetDisk proprietary NDAS system aimed at the small, consumer-grade home network admin.

Discuss "IOCell NetDisk 351UNE: But Will it Stream Media?" here. Read the article.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Clint, this is a bit confusing... As you said the device doesn't offer 3rd party connectivity (without it's client installed) - aka no UPNP and no DLNA by itself...
So - how it's different from any usb storage? (other than the fact Ethernet cable could be much longer)

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
how it's different from any usb storage? (other than the fact Ethernet cable could be much longer)
It can be used as a USB storage device. But it's primary strength is as an Ethernet storage. When it's on, attached to your network and you have the client software installed - it's used as a drive on your computer. Communication to that drive will be much faster than USB - but slower than SATA.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It can be used as a USB storage device. But it's primary strength is as an Ethernet storage. When it's on, attached to your network and you have the client software installed - it's used as a drive on your computer. Communication to that drive will be much faster than USB - but slower than SATA.
faster than usb 2 - true that...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis