SONY BDP-S780 3D Network Blu-ray Player Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Sony offers some of the best value in Blu-Ray players today. After going through all the features and setup options this Blu-ray player offers and really diving into the network functions, I can say that the Sony BDP-S780 3D networking Blu-ray player would be a great addition to any home theater or video system that is in need for an upgrade to the latest in today’s tech. This model is their company flagship and comes packed with the most features for their line. We found the DBP-S780 to be among the fastest players out there to boot up and play a Blu-ray disc. Bottom line the BDP-S780 meets just about every requirement for a great Blu-Ray player today and won’t disappoint even the most feature hungry user.

Discuss "SONY BDP-S780 3D Network Blu-ray Player Review" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry if I missed it in the article, but how does this player compare to the PS3 in terms of player noise? My PS3 generates an easily audible drone while I'm watching Netflix that gets on my nerves after a while (I'm guessing it's the fan noise). If this player is nice and quite while streaming, it might be a great fit for me. Thanks.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I'll put the BDP-S780 on my list of possible candidates.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I have the 580 which is nearly identical and there is no noise from it.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Sony alternatives - refurbished deals at the outlet!

For an even cheaper alternative the similarly capable S370 plays regular BR and DVD quite similarly (though no 3D, more limited networking - no wireless). But until 11/8 this player can be had refurbished from Sony for $65 shipped.

Use coupon: OUTLETSONYBDPS370X

Link for player in Sony outlet here

BDP-S370 | REFURBISHED - Blu-ray Disc™ Player | Sony | Sony Store USA

I have the S57o (with wireless) and am very happy with it. Got it refurbished from another source and have had no issues with it.

Sony outlet also has it refurbished for $130 shipped. Not a bad price either.

Link here

BDP-S570 | REFURBISHED - 3D Blu-ray Disc™ Player with Wi-Fi | Sony | Sony Store USA

the 570 does 3D (but not upconversion) and just about everything else. Maybe not the Skype thing.

My last word though would be that for a home theater and a Sony player for $250 I would go the route of the PS3. I can't think of nat playing HD games on anything other than a 100" screen.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Couple things I like about mine are;
it is wireless or Ethernet
It connects to gracenote when I start a CD and labels all the tracks.
Does slacker and Pandora.
connects to a ton of internet TV channels like wired, hulu, YouTube, and bout a dozen more.
I have a Samsung that I can't think the model, but it was wireless and it locked up frequently and I would have to restart it. The Sony has never done it, yet.

Last edited:
N

nickboros

Audioholic
Sorry if I missed it in the article, but how does this player compare to the PS3 in terms of player noise? My PS3 generates an easily audible drone while I'm watching Netflix that gets on my nerves after a while (I'm guessing it's the fan noise). If this player is nice and quite while streaming, it might be a great fit for me. Thanks.
A couple of years ago I moved my PS3 into a different room than my TV is in, so avoid the noise, which was getting on my nerves. The nice thing about the PS3 is that all the remote and controllers are all bluetooth, so everything still works fine.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A couple of years ago I moved my PS3 into a different room than my TV is in, so avoid the noise, which was getting on my nerves. The nice thing about the PS3 is that all the remote and controllers are all bluetooth, so everything still works fine.
Thanks! I'd do that, too, but I don't want to deal with running HDMI through my walls. Paying for a different streaming device would be well worth the money to me to save me from doing that. :)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Sony may be able to do BR (not very difficult), but it has never been very adept at standard DVD playback.

Oppo Digital does such a good job on standard DVD playback and BR, with a very attractive price, it is difficult to consider anything else IMO.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Sony may be able to do BR (not very difficult), but it has never been very adept at standard DVD playback.

Oppo Digital does such a good job on standard DVD playback and BR, with a very attractive price, it is difficult to consider anything else IMO.

What's a DVD?

For the $250 difference (from an Oppo to another decent BR player) I could replace my DVDs with BR discs - if they exist. Talking about the ones I would want to watch over again. For the person who must have real good DVD playback for a projection screen or almost that size, then yes, a good player like the Oppo is a sound investment. Unless they have a modern AVR with as good or better (than the Oppo) up-scaling.

Just sayin'

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
What's a DVD?

.... Unless they have a modern AVR with as good or better (than the Oppo) up-scaling.

Just sayin'
Upscaling the DVD through the AVR will improve the picture? Interesting. I did not know that. I'm still using a non HDMI AVR.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
@adam,

The BDP-S780's player noise is considerably lower than the PS3. Based on my review I would say that the player is quieter than most of the "retail" blu-ray players available. I personally own last years BDP-S570 model, as well as a PS3, and I noticed that it seemed to be even quieter than the 570 model.

If player function noise is a top concern for you, and you want a good player, I would definitely say this is a solid model to look at.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What's a DVD?

For the $250 difference (from an Oppo to another decent BR player) I could replace my DVDs with BR discs - if they exist. Talking about the ones I would want to watch over again. For the person who must have real good DVD playback for a projection screen or almost that size, then yes, a good player like the Oppo is a sound investment. Unless they have a modern AVR with as good or better (than the Oppo) up-scaling.

Just sayin'
I have little doubt most people won't be able to tell the difference in a "blind" test between any of the newer Sony BDP such as the 370 and up, PS3 and the Oppo playing the same DVD. To me the upscaling thing is no longer an issue, but hype, placebo, exaggeration, than real. I base my comments on my own experience and have no intention to argue with anyone but just want to share another view point/experience. Or like you said, just sayin'

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I have little doubt most people won't be able to tell the difference in a "blind" test between any of the newer Sony BDP such as the 370 and up, PS3 and the Oppo playing the same DVD. To me the upscaling thing is no longer an issue, but hype, placebo, exaggeration, than real. I base my comments on my own experience and have no intention to argue with anyone but just want to share another view point/experience. Or like you said, just sayin'
You raised a good point. I questioned that also. Yet, I had a slightly different experience. I saw a Blu-ray player "upscaling" a regular DVD on a decent LCD TV. It obviously wasn't Blu-ray picture quality, but I was impressed with the improvement in picture over standard playback. In this case, it was the player doing the "upscaling" and not any av receiver. The HDMI connection was going directly to the TV.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You raised a good point. I questioned that also. Yet, I had a slightly different experience. I saw a Blu-ray player "upscaling" a regular DVD on a decent LCD TV. It obviously wasn't Blu-ray picture quality, but I was impressed with the improvement in picture over standard playback. In this case, it was the player doing the "upscaling" and not any av receiver. The HDMI connection was going directly to the TV.
I think you misunderstood my point slightly. I am not saying upscaling is hype..etc. I am saying that any of the new Sony BDP, (Pannys as well), PS3 and Oppo all can do a very decent job upscaling and there really is no noticeable improvement using the top notch upscaler of the Oppo models in a blind test. I am also saying that the claim of certain BDP such as the Oppo models being so superior and noticeably better playing DVD are hypes and exaggerations.

In my experience, if the transfer is good, it will look great with any of those BDPs I mentioned. If the transfer is bad (I can give you a couple of examples), it will look bad no matter what, and the Oppo will not make them look better than the PS3 can. So I am not surprise your BDP upscale better than your LCD TV, but I will bet using the same BDP, with its internal upscaler off, it will still look just as great if you have a newer upper end model Plasma of LED backlight models such as the Samsung 800 series.

Basically it is my opinion that one does not need to make their choice of a BDP base heavily on their perceived superior upscaling quality. I bought my Oppo 95 for its perceived AQ only/mainly. That was a good thing because I saw no benefit using it to play DVD.

nycsoftwareman

nycsoftwareman

Audiophyte
Review Or Press Release ?

This review reads more like a press relase from SONY than an actual hands on review.
What about picture quality ? Audio /Video controls Features ? None of that is mentioned.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
This review reads more like a press relase from SONY than an actual hands on review.
What about picture quality ? Audio /Video controls Features ? None of that is mentioned.
Did you go to the link and read the full review? Specs and Video Test bench results are on page 2.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think my two biggest concerns are noise and speed.

Noisy players obvious distract from the entire setup, but after having a PS3 since day one, I'm certainly used to a certain amount of noise during my BD playback.

But, speed...

Same thing! After years of having a PS3, I expect my BDs to load quickly. This is where every other stand alone player I've used has just failed to deliver.

It's good to hear that this model has pushed speed levels up to near, or perhaps even ahead of PS3 speeds. Makes it a very interesting possibility!

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Also, with the OPPO BDP 93 out there, what's the point of the new Sony?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis