The High Instantaneous Current Spec

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We've all seen amplifier companies tout that their amps are "high instantaneous current". Using the very basic principle governing electricity called Ohm's Law (V=I*R), how could it be possible that 100 watt amp has "higher current" than another 100 watt rated amplifier? This very subject has come up on numerous audio forums including the Audioholics forum, and this article explores that topic as well as the history of how the term "high current" became popularized by some manufacturers. We do some basic calculations to illustrate just how nebulous this specification often really is.

Discuss "The High Instantaneous Current Spec" here. Read the article.

I am republishing this article in the memory of Dan Banquer who passed away at the age of 58 years old last Saturday. Dan was a dear friend of ours who was a no nonsense guy and true Audioholic in mind and spirit.

Last edited:
TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
My Condolences

We've all seen amplifier companies tout that their amps are "high instantaneous current". Using the very basic principle governing electricity called Ohm's Law (V=I*R), how could it be possible that 100 watt amp has "higher current" than another 100 watt rated amplifier? This very subject has come up on numerous audio forums including the Audioholics forum, and this article explores that topic as well as the history of how the term "high current" became popularized by some manufacturers. We do some basic calculations to illustrate just how nebulous this specification often really is.

Discuss "The High Instantaneous Current Spec" here. Read the article.

I am republishing this article in the memory of Dan Banquer who passed away at the age of 58 years old last Saturday. Dan was a dear friend of ours who was a no nonsense guy and true Audioholic in mind and spirit.
We will miss him and know he's now resting in peace and enjoying the wonderful melody of peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd from Ohio

Audiophyte
When I get to the Other World, Mr. Dan Banquer and I will enjoy Steely Dan's AJA with the best reproduction one can imagine--and then some. RIP Mr. Banquer. Blessings and prayers to the family...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know what all the fuss is about instantaneous current. All amp classifications with the exception of CLASS D and dervitaive there of has instantaneous peak capabilities. Maybe class D and their cousins to do but I do not there theory of operation. Any decent HT receiver is capable of instantaneous current and when multiplied by the voltage that the power supply is trying to maintain would seem more than the max volt/amp ratings of its power supply. The trick is how long can this sustained peak last and I think that has to do with the size of the BFC after the rectification is done.

Although I do not know Mr. Dan Banquer, my prayers go out to his family.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
To make sense out of that specification.. One has to define the testing criteria..
It can be a very meaningful spec when comparing amplifiers, some years back some test labs actually published their measurements.

Google powercube and you should find more info..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Z

Ziontrain

Audioholic Intern
To make sense out of that specification.. One has to define the testing criteria..
It can be a very meaningful spec when comparing amplifiers, some years back some test labs actually published their measurements.

Google powercube and you should find more info..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Ditto to that - opened my eyes a few years ago on that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis