Klipsch SW-311 Subwoofer Review

The Klipsch SW-311 is a very small subwoofer with a rather impressive list of attributes and features. Utilizing a 500w amplifier powering a 10" active driver and dual 10" side firing passive radiator's along with Klipsch's proprietary ARC II auto room correction equalization and an LCD screen with push button DSP control panel, there is a lot to the SW-311. All of this is built into a svelte 13" x 13" x 14" box, making the SW-311 enclosure a jam packed power and technology workhorse. The little Klipsch also carries a surprising amount of output for its size with very little distortion even when pushed to its limits. Used within its limits, the Klipsch SW-311 will perform admirably in small to medium sized rooms, hence why it earned our "Medium Room" Bassaholic rating. This is a well designed and rock steady subwoofer with WAF that is about as good as it gets.

Read the full Klipsch SW-311 Subwoofer Review

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
This sub hot on the heels of the SVS review simply reminds me of...

SVSound - Animation

Not that it is a slouch, but at $1600 it leaves a lot to be desired.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It doesn't look bad for a sub of it's size and shouldn't be compared to something like the PB13. It should be compared to the correspondingly priced/sized subs from Velodyne, Sunfire, JL Audio, and so on. Not many people can fit a PB13 in their living space, we don't all live in large houses in the suburbs.

R

robc1976

Audioholic
This sub hot on the heels of the SVS review simply reminds me of...

Not that it is a slouch, but at $1600 it leaves a lot to be desired.
I have a entire 9.1 system klipsch reference sysytem but I must say there subs are terrible! I returned this sub the instant I heard it. You can get a A5-350 for 1/2 that price and it will make the 311 look like it is off. Only okay sub they made is the RSW-15.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can you comment on the benefit realized from running ARC after Audyssey (and which version of Audyssey you used) for your listening test?

The weight and appearance suggest that the Klipsch SUB-310 may be essentially equivalent in cabinet and drivers to the 311 - except without ARC and 400W instead 500W. If this is the case, it begs the question of whether the ARC system is worth $500 to people who already have Audyssey.

I would say ARC could easily be worth $500 if there is no other EQ system in play - especially if location possibilities for the sub are limited, but does Audyssey leave us short such that ARC adds an audible improvement?

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
I would say ARC could easily be worth $500 if there is no other EQ system in play - especially if location possibilities for the sub are limited, but does Audyssey leave us short such that ARC adds an audible improvement?
ARC is one of the better built in auto-EQ systems that I have encountered thus far and I would agree with your assessment. If you already have EQing capabilities whether automatic in a reciever, or manual through an EQ unit with measurements, then ARC is not so important. However if you have neither of these, such as with many 2 channel systems, ARC could make a very large improvement in the response in that case.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis