Runco 3Dimension D-113d Projection System Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Runco announced the latest extension of its professional cinema 3Dimension family, the D-113d projection system. What the $200,000 D-113d does is pair Runco's Constant Stereoscopic Video (CSV) approach with the optical filters and glasses of the Panavision 3D System. The result is being billed as the brightest CSV projection in the world. The Runco D-113d enables seamless decoding, syncing and merging of stereo images to deliver a constant HD image to each eye without the flicker, distortion, or discomfort inherent in other approaches. This is a truly passive dual-projector approach. In the D-113d, Runco's CSV technology pairs with the spectral filtration technology of the Panavision 3D System and slices the entire visible spectrum is sliced into ten slim bands - with five directed to the left eye and five to the right. The result is that each eye receives the same amount of total white light energy, so the images appear equal in brightness and provide accurate color reproduction. Runco has utilized this technology from the Panavision 3D System in its PreciseColor passive glasses. This differentiates Runco's passive approach from other high-end 3D projection systems, which are based on "active" LCD shutter-glass technology.

Discuss "Runco 3Dimension D-113d Projection System Preview" here. Read the article.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
God I hate Runco.

It sounds like a press release when I read "This differentiates Runco's passive approach from other high-end 3D projection systems, which are based on "active" LCD shutter-glass technology."

At $200,000 you are in the passive 3D technology range. Digital Projection does it, Christie does it, a ton of companies do it. Heck, I've seen Pico projectors from BenQ (or was it LG?) setup in a 'dual projector' setup.

The entire purpose of active shutter glasses technology is that it allows for a standard screen to be used and allows for incorporation into LCD/plasma displays rather easily with full resolution 1080p being maintained.

So, yeah, what differentiates my sub $5,000 3D projection setup from Runco's projection setup is not the passive vs. active glasses.

It's the Porsche Turbo convertible that I can now afford because I didn't just drop $200,000 on a projector!

I wish that Runco would just focus more on their actual tech specs which make their product a solid piece of gear.

I think the highlight of this projector is that it allows for passive 3D while NOT requiring a silver screen which provides a poor 2D viewing surface.

How bright is it? (not mentioned)
What is the resolution? (not mentioned)

At $200,000 I am looking for 7,000+ lumens and included 2.35 support out of the box.

Heck, why would I care about custom paint colors when a proper design will have the projector buried in a hush box or in a projection booth?

If I could afford this projector easily, the one thing I know for sure is that I would never buy it. Digital Projection, Christie, Projection Design - those 3 companies would be near the top of my 'high end list'. Definitely not Runco.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis