Powered Subwoofer Testing: Outline and Procedures Overview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Audioholics is gearing up to do a slew of subwoofer measurements and comprehensive test reports. This article takes a quick look at the equipment and software used, the various measurements recorded and the purpose of the particular measurements used for our up and coming subwoofer evaluations. Results will be condensed and summarized in a consistent and efficient manner for each product tested. This article will serve as the demarcation point for all subwoofer tabulated test results. Check back regularly for the most recent copy of our downloadable Excel spreadsheet for all subwoofers tested under this new test protocol.

Discuss "Powered Subwoofer Testing: Outline and Procedures Overview" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds interesting!

[STRIKE]The link to the article isn't working at the moment, so just a heads up if you weren't aware.[/STRIKE]

EDIT - Nevermind. It's up and running now. :)

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome, I always enjoy reading Ricci's reviews/tests/posts/threads even though I understand very little of them :D

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
Howdy...:D

Don't be surprised if you see some new AH subwoofer reports show up in August. ;)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'd definitely like to see a review of the Elemental Designs A5S-325. I dunno why it doesn't have a product page, but here's a bit of info:
http://forum.edesignaudio.com/showthread.php/sealed-ht-subwoofer-pricing-and-71688.html

I'm still interested in the A7S-450 that you (Ricci) just tested, but I'm more interested in this sub because of the driver.

I'm also very interested in seeing proper testing and reviews of the JTR Captivator (powered) and Seaton Submersive HP, even though they're both well out of my budget right now. I'd also like to see testing done of a lot of the lower budget/entry level subs that get recommended all the time...BIC F12, PL-200, Dayton SUB-120, Elemental Designs A2-300, HSU STF-2, and others.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If anyone has contact info for Seaton, I will request a sample from him as well since his subs are getting quite a following lately on the forums.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I'd like to see reviews of:

- Seaton Submersive HP
- Epik Empire
- Rythmik F25
- SVS SB-13 Plus

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
While the empire is a hard hitter, I think the Epik Legend has a much bigger market.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Should review both then, and see what you get for the extra monies :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
BTW, while I'm sure the submersive is the sub i'm sure everyone associates Seaton with, dual opposed high powered sealed 15 inch drivers? That's cool and all...but...

....I want to see the measurements of his bandpass subs - ya know.. Terraform XL :p :D :p

I want to see what kind of distortion / output / extension performance a true, well designed bandpass sub offers.

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I was under the impression that the Terraform XL is still under development.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It appears that we care as much about Bose's actual performance as they do. :p
Actually, we should care. Then, we'd have a better objective case for it or really against it. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, we should care. Then, we'd have a better objective case for it or really against it. :D
Good point. :) I was just kidding, though. Measurements are one thing...someone's enjoyment of a product, however, isn't always (or maybe even typically) based on them.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Good point. :).... Measurements are one thing...someone's enjoyment of a product, however, isn't always (or maybe even typically) based on them.
You are right. :D
I enjoy my car radio when I drive;):D But I enjoy my system even more when I watch a movie :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis