PlayStation 4, Xbox 720 - Names Subject to Change

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Ever since Nintento announced the launch of its Wii U console next year, we’ve been waiting for the rumor mill to start churning out stories of what’s next for its competitors Microsoft and Sony. As expected, the rumor mill is a busy industry! Sources at Taiwanese tech manufacturer have spilled the beans on Sony’s plan for a new console of its own maybe as early as 2012. Sources add that Sony’s new console will come complete with a Microsoft Kinect-style, hands-free, full body motion controller. It looks like the next-gen console war is in the making.

Discuss "PlayStation 4, Xbox 720 – Names Subject to Change" here. Read the article.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Ever since Nintento announced the launch of its Wii U console next year, we’ve been waiting for the rumor mill to start churning out stories of what’s next for its competitors Microsoft and Sony. As expected, the rumor mill is a busy industry! Sources at Taiwanese tech manufacturer have spilled the beans on Sony’s plan for a new console of its own maybe as early as 2012. Sources add that Sony’s new console will come complete with a Microsoft Kinect-style, hands-free, full body motion controller. It looks like the next-gen console war is in the making.

Discuss "PlayStation 4, Xbox 720 – Names Subject to Change" here. Read the article.
It seems the entire tech industry is slowing down as transistor size reaches it's limits. I think it's pretty clear Kinect style gaming is next. We have the technology to do a lot of amazing things we just need engineers willing and able to integrate existing technologies. It's crazy to think the next generation of kids may never know what a button is.

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
Why would Sony and Microsoft update their system just for streaming ripped blu-rays over a home network? The future is streaming over the web.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Why would Sony and Microsoft update their system just for streaming ripped blu-rays over a home network? The future is streaming over the web.
I don't think they would update for streaming ripped blu-ray discs or even for streaming media alone. I'm just using its weakness at streaming HD/multi-channel audio as an example of how far we've come since Xbox360 and PS3 were released.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I would say the Present is streaming over the web. I watch far more over the web. I would love to stream games instead of having to use discs with all their issues.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
I would say the Present is streaming over the web. I watch far more over the web. I would love to stream games instead of having to use discs with all their issues.
I would agree. Besides the inherent problems with disk based media (or any physical media really), as lazy as it sounds it is nice to not have to switch out disc when changing between medias or games. When you no longer needed the Netflix disc for the PS3, my Netflix streaming usage went way up because now I can leave my current favorite game in the console and just start streaming.

Sean

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Hopefully this isnt the case. Hate to see them abandon their commitment to the 10 year console cycle.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
whats the point in sony releasing a new console when the PS3 hasnt even hit its limits yet?

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I'm actually looking forward to the new consoles. I have the PS3 and 360. PS3 I really only use for bluray's and 360 for most of my gaming. They are both good systems, but I would love something more powerful...better graphics, more memory, and better sound. Just sayin'

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Maybe the new xbox will debut with Halo 4. :)

Steve

S

Slipery99

Audiophyte
Some say PS4 is coming next year.. Hard to decide whether to buy a
PS3 now or wait.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Some say PS4 is coming next year.. Hard to decide whether to buy a
PS3 now or wait.
I highly doubt the PS4 will be out next year, but you never know. I'd go ahead and get a PS3 now if I were you.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I highly doubt the PS4 will be out next year, but you never know. I'd go ahead and get a PS3 now if I were you.
+1, While Xbox360 internals are pretty much fully used to their limits (see Crysis2) PS3 Still holds plenty of underutilized potential and rarely ps3 are able to fully utilize that resource - participial since it makes harder to program for this platform.

I can see xbox360 getting an update somewhere from q4 2011 to q2/2012, but I doubt that ps3 update is coming anytime before 2013

y2kh8r

y2kh8r

Audiophyte
I actually like the idea of the ten year cycle- it always seemed to me that the most advanced games usually get released near the end of the cycle, as the developers were really just beginning to hit full stride (as far as coding for a particular platform) at that point.

A

Arcane19

Audioholic Intern
I think consoles run on about a 6 year cycle. Ps1 was introduced in 1994, PS2 in 2000, and Ps3 in 2005 holiday season. (If memory serves me right). So I would assume that the next console should be coming soon around 2012 or 2013.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I still have great memories of playing Missile Command and Vanguard with my friends when I was a kid on my Atari. I don't think that happens much anymore since online gaming is the preferred method of play.

B

Baniebs

Enthusiast
They better not come out with the ps4 soon, I just got my ps3!! haha

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I think consoles run on about a 6 year cycle. Ps1 was introduced in 1994, PS2 in 2000, and Ps3 in 2005 holiday season. (If memory serves me right). So I would assume that the next console should be coming soon around 2012 or 2013.
That has historically been accurate, but the "commitment to a 10-year cycle" was something that has been stated by both companies in key-note speeches.
Much more realistic these days with the ability to constantly update the systems firmware and drivers via download, and the slowing of microprocessor advancement (see Wozniack's address on the growth of technology)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis