Oppo BDP-93 Universal 3D Blu-ray Player Full Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
How do you upgrade the number one solution for Blu-ray on the market? It's hard, but Oppo Digital did it by adding 3D Blu-ray capability to their new BDP-93 (still) Universal Blu-ray player. Oh, and they changed the chassis to eliminate the one thing Lexicon's Oppo seemed to improve on their player last year. Plus they also added more network functionality in the form of Netflix and Blockbuster on Demand streaming movie services. Come to think of it, they switched over to the ever-increasingly, highly regarded Marvell QDEO video processor and even added a second flexible HDMI output that can be used for dual monitors, or for sending just audio to an AV receiver. Oh, and the player supports wireless-N networking out of the box. Holy cow, they did a lot, and I'm still in the intro of the review. Hold tight, this may take a while.

Discuss "Oppo BDP-93 Universal 3D Blu-ray Player Full Review" here. Read the article.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
So technically, Oppo kinda shot themselves in the foot by creating such a good player.. What else can they do to justify a BDP-103 model? Besides adding more fluff and guff like streaming content.
The only thing I see for Oppo, is to strive for mass market acceptance and compete with the Samsung's and Panasonic's and come out at a much lower price... Bluray players are no longer special and the whole universal player thing is for a very, very small set of people..

Come one OPPO.. BDP-93 $149.99.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
do you mean what can justify the 95 (as opposed to just getting the 93)? because i think there is a great deal to like about the 95. as a matter of fact i am not even interested in the 93 as i am mostly interested in the improved SQ. if you mean that they don't have room to expand into a model above the 95, you may be right. however, i would think that they could just keep improving the existing models as needed (with commensurate price increases of course).

R

ringbearer3791

Audioholic Intern
upcoming services

I already have a BDP-93 (absolutely love it!) and I spoke to the folks over at Oppo about a week ago as I am also considering dropping cable in favor of Roku+. I asked about any additional services coming to the 93 and was told that Vudu is next, with YouTube and Pandora after that, then they're looking at adding Hulu+. I'd be remiss if i didn't repeat their disclaimer that these additional services are being worked but there are no promises.

D

darthjason

Enthusiast
I also have the BD-93 and I have the PS3. I am someone who has enough SACD and DVD-A to warrant the player from that perspective. However, I have never seen a better picture, especially up-converting DVDs. Whether it is was the PS3 or Anchor Bay in my Denon 4810 which does a great job helping out cable. Did I do any measurements, no but if my wife can tell a difference in the picture and not just this AV fanboy... enough said. While I always welcome less $$$ getting that last best 10%, 5% or whatever all of us strive for always has alt least a 50% markup from others mainstream players. I feel that I am getting my $'s worth. Plus, this player is "pretty".

I asked about any additional services coming to the 93 and was told that Vudu is next, with YouTube and Pandora after that, then they're looking at adding Hulu+. I'd be remiss if i didn't repeat their disclaimer that these additional services are being worked but there are no promises.
If they add that stuff, we're talking world domination as far as I'm concerned... I'd love to have my Oppo include all those features. They need to update the Netflix integration though. I continue to use my Xbox 360 interface for that in the meantime...

I'd also like them to default the "Stop" button to hit the Home screen... I shouldn't need to reprogram my universal to include a Home button just to get there.

S

scottd327

Audiophyte
I wanted to love this player as a true universal player, but a few issues prevented that. It had frequent HDMI handshake issues with my Denon AVR-4311 and Sony VPL-VW90ES projector, which does not occur at all with either my Sony or Samsung 3D BD players (or my other disc players for that matter). Further, it loads much slower than the Sony BDP-570, especially on 3D titles. I could not even get 3D Avatar to play until my fourth attempt at loading. Still, I am sure it is a great player when mated with the right equipment. The fact that it is 3 times the price of those players and I already have a Denon DVD-3930ci for SD DVD, DVD-Audio and SACD made it a no go for me.

R

ringbearer3791

Audioholic Intern
firmware update?

Clint, I couldn't agree with you more, if Oppo gets all of those other services into the machine then I think the rest of the market is going to have to start doing something new or accept significant market losses.

Scott, have you installed the latest firmware upgrade to the machine? I noticed some HDMI handshaking issues with the firmware version that came on my machine (running through a Denon 4306) but last month they put out a firmware upgrade that specifically addressed the HDMI handshaking and I haven't seen those issues since I upgraded mine. Just a thought.

Josh

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I don't play CDs anymore but I may just have to get myself a 93 for Christmas. That'll give them time to get the last of the minor bugs ironed out. I'm not sure I need with an old SACD capable PS3 it but it might be fun to have.

S

scottd327

Audiophyte
Yes, I Installed the latest firmware. I guess it was just one of those things. I have had good luck with Oppo in the past.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
While technically the newest RE movie was shot on a 3D F35 rig, Avatar was shot with the HDC-F950 cameras.

O

olc

Enthusiast
Another great feature of the BDP-93 that hasn't come up is that, in addition to the promise of lots of Internet sourced material, you can rip video to an external eSATA drive and watch your DVDs without going near a disc. I use MakeMKV for DVD and can turn on the hard drive and the OPPO a choose from dozens of movies. Also can do blu-ray as AVCHD because, unlike the BDP-83, the external drives can be NTFS and handle the huge files.

A

aaa67

Audiophyte
Oppo 93 HDMI modes and port assignment

I'm sorry Clint.
Is it just me, or is there some contradictory information in the assignable HDMI modes?

What I would like to know is, can I hook the Oppo93 to a JVC X3 via HDMI mode 1, port 1 using the Qdeo processor, and still send the lossless audio to a Yamaha Z11, (not 1.4 compatible) HDMI port 2? The diagrams and text were a little confusing to me. It says it will only use the mediatek chip in this case, but the bottom diagram says just wire it up, all good.

Also, will the Oppo93 scale 3D content for CIH scope projection?

I have one of these ready to order, (retail in Australia will be over $900, with aussie region code and local warranty, a little steep considering our current exchange parity), but I will wait if it is not doing exactly what I want. A Lumina? processor with my PS3 may be a better solution.

Anyhow, thanks for the great reviews and keep up the good work!

Al

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I'm sorry Clint.
Is it just me, or is there some contradictory information in the assignable HDMI modes?

What I would like to know is, can I hook the Oppo93 to a JVC X3 via HDMI mode 1, port 1 using the Qdeo processor, and still send the lossless audio to a Yamaha Z11, (not 1.4 compatible) HDMI port 2? The diagrams and text were a little confusing to me. It says it will only use the mediatek chip in this case, but the bottom diagram says just wire it up, all good.

l
Did you ever get the answer to this question? I am wondering the same thing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sorry Clint.
What I would like to know is, can I hook the Oppo93 to a JVC X3 via HDMI mode 1, port 1 using the Qdeo processor, and still send the lossless audio to a Yamaha Z11, (not 1.4 compatible) HDMI port 2?
I have not tried it on my 95 yet but according to Oppo it can do it. Following is from the Oppo website.

"Dual HDMI Outputs – The BDP-93 is equipped with two HDMI output ports and offers the most versatile installation options. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-93 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-93 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously."

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
I'm sorry Clint.

Also, will the Oppo93 scale 3D content for CIH scope projection?

I have one of these ready to order, (retail in Australia will be over $900, with aussie region code and local warranty, a little steep considering our current exchange parity), but I will wait if it is not doing exactly what I want. A Lumina? processor with my PS3 may be a better solution.

Anyhow, thanks for the great reviews and keep up the good work!

Al
I hope to do this as well except that my AVR is 3D compatible. I prefer to have the option of using my Oppo with or without the avr/mains/subs active.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Nice review on a great product.

I do not see the lack of Hulu Plus support as being a major loss. Hulu Plus seems to lack the rights to send their video to a TV display for most of their programming which is a real drag. I would love to watch some of their programming, but not from a computer display.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
As a one-player-that-does-it-all this is an interesting choice....

If we disregard the video part now, which obviously is second to none...

How does this work when used as a music player connected to a strict two channel setup?
Userfriendlyness, how to make playlists? is it as easy to use as a squeezebox?

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
It is not on the same planet as squeezebox. Stick with that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis