HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Hsu VTF-15H is a self-powered front-loaded vented subwoofer featuring a 15" long throw driver and 350 watt amplifier with controls to allow tweaking of the low pass crossover as well as the bottom end of the subwoofer to optimally match it to your room and listening preferences. Weighing in at 123lbs and costing $879 for the black finish, it was hands down, the "BEST BUY" of the group of subs we compared. HSU demonstrated strong engineering, excellent integration of the sub with the power amp and cabinet, and a surprising amount of output from the system given the relatively low output capacity of the amplifier used. The VTF-15H is an excellent example of what can be done when you attempt to squeeze the last bit of performance from a modest budget.

Discuss "HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer Review" here. Read the article.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Good news everyone - you can all exhale. :D

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Interesting how under "Pros" is 'manageable size', but under "Cons" is 'big and heavy' :confused: hahaha..

Got to say though, the review left me a bit underwhelmed.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
109.9 dbs @ 20 hz...is pretty good but lags well behind the others...:eek:. As expected it starts creeping up to the pb12 above 32hz on size alone but it doesn't even come close to the FV15HP who IMO is the real deal so far.:cool:

Contradiction I suppose...but I agree with being underwhelmed!

Interesting how under "Pros" is 'manageable size', but under "Cons" is 'big and heavy' :confused: hahaha..

Got to say though, the review left me a bit underwhelmed.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
Not the "giant killer" I was expecting.

In fact, if Ilkka's numbers are to be believed, you don't get a whole lot more performance than the VTF-3 MK3 (when compensated for distance and peak vs RMS measurements) at the bottom end.

R

RipcordAFF

Audioholic Intern
I am very disappointed. Having just received one, i was hoping that this product would have performed better As compared to the Competiton. To say that this sub is not recommended for home theater is quite a blow...

C

clouso

Banned
wow..i should have kept my paradigm sub12....i think i will tell the fedex guy to go back to california with it and i will order the rythmik....haha...damn

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure why people are so surprised. the thread on avs about this thing pretty much suggested what this sub would be like in the first few days.

It's also been well known that Dr Hsu doesn't think much of bass below 25hz.

I think people just sort of want vindication that Hsu invented some world beating driver. That would defy the law of physics.

wow..i should have kept my paradigm sub12....i think i will tell the fedex guy to go back to california with it and i will order the rythmik....haha...damn
Don't let the review bias your impressions. First of all, sealing this sub should really improve the damping issue that Paul ran into with the two ports open. Personally I would have run this sub with only the low tuning(one port open) if i'm going to run it portedat all. Unfortunately in this world output rules, not sound quality so the sub was tested in its highest tuned mode.

Listen to it for yourself. I'm sure it's a well designed speaker.

Last edited:
vinyl

vinyl

Enthusiast
Judging by my experience with Hsu and my 2 VTF-3 MK2 this review doesn’t surprise me – if this is the flagship not much has improved.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
109.9 dbs @ 20 hz...is pretty good but lags well behind the others...:eek:. As expected it starts creeping up to the pb12 above 32hz on size alone but it doesn't even come close to the FV15HP who IMO is the real deal so far.:cool:

Contradiction I suppose...but I agree with being underwhelmed!
I agree with you - the FV15HP does seem to be the best value at this point.

With the reviews seeming to go in 1st, 2nd & 3rd order, I wonder what this means for the FW sub... is it really "4th place" or are they just mixing it up and the order is random. Looks like we'll have to wait about 2 weeks to find out. :eek:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with you - the FV15HP does seem to be the best value at this point.

With the reviews seeming to go in 1st, 2nd & 3rd order, I wonder what this means for the FW sub... is it really "4th place" or are they just mixing it up and the order is random. Looks like we'll have to wait about 2 weeks to find out. :eek:
well, I think the thing to keep in mind is that the FW sub is the physically smallest. So even if it does end up being slightly worse, it has the best WAF out of the three (including the beautiful veneer).

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
well, I think the thing to keep in mind is that the FW sub is the physically smallest. So even if it does end up being slightly worse, it has the best WAF out of the three (including the beautiful veneer).
For apperance nobody has yet received a 5, two 4's & a 3...I believe. Its not that hard to distinguish his woodworking skills are outstanding and something he takes great pride in. I'm still very curious to see how the LMS measures up to these bigger and larger subs.:)

C

clouso

Banned
i tought i would upgrade from a 12incher and knowing this hsu isnt even recommended for HT i will return it.............i dont care i will pay the shipping twice....

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
i tought i would upgrade from a 12incher and knowing this hsu isnt even recommended for HT i will return it.............i dont care i will pay the shipping twice....

You have thirty days give it a listen...don't be that way. The other 2 subs cost more and rightly so but the Hsu seems like pretty good dollar value judging by the review.

Just my 2 cents, Bill

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
lol. ouch. hsu just lost a customer who didnt audition himself.... because of a review!

but yes, a high fs, high sensitivity driver probably isnt 'the best choice' for the gut wrenching low bass in movies but also consider what you paid. like i said though, you need to try it in a different port tuning. two ports open might give the best output but one port will give you improved extention.

I still think you need to give it a shot in YOUR hanfs. if it outperforms the paradigm then for output you would still be very well off buying a second for 900. two HSU 15s with the low tuning should still outperform a single of the other subs by my guess.

it is still going to work well for HT... i'd assume better than what you're coming from... just not as well as the other, more expensive subs in this shootout. you need to give it a shot yourself to make the conclusion whether it's enough. for me 'enough' would be some LMS-5100 open baffle dipole subs crossed to an infinite baffle thigpen rotary or two but your kilometrage may very well vary.

Last edited:
C

clouso

Banned
lol. ouch. hsu just lost a customer who didnt audition himself.... because of a review!

but yes, a high fs, high sensitivity driver probably isnt 'the best choice' for the gut wrenching low bass in movies but also consider what you paid. like i said though, you need to try it in a different port tuning. two ports open might give the best output but one port will give you improved extention.

I still think you need to give it a shot in YOUR hanfs. if it outperforms the paradigm then for output you would still be very well off buying a second for 900. two HSU 15s with the low tuning should still outperform a single of the other subs by my guess.
thx for your comments again..and billy p too...but can i get my money back even if dont unpack it??...i want to return it...it will be part of the 30 days!....no?....if one 15incher is unable to be worth for HT sorry but its a big mess from HSU.....i will just order the rythmyk...i dont care beeing another month with out a sub.....

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
thx for your comments again..and billy p too...but can i get my money back even if dont unpack it??...i want to return it...it will be part of the 30 days!....no?....if one 15incher is unable to be worth for HT sorry but its a big mess from HSU.....i will just order the rythmyk...i dont care beeing another month with out a sub.....
one 18 inch isn't enough for HT. two 18s really arent either. ask warp. .. needed 6 to be fully satisfied. you have 30 days why not keep it for a week and decide for YOURSELF whether it is good for HT for your needs. many people are happy with stf 2s for HT!

I understand being enticed by the rythmik but DO NOT let the review form your opinion of this one. that is a more expensive sub so it is SHOULD be better in at least a few ways. that doesnt maoe the hsu a mess at all. a 4 in performance and 5 in value is exceptional.

re; billy is the funkywaves 12 an lms? i know it is a tc sounds driver but i dont think it uses the linear motor.

C

clouso

Banned
a paper woofer...an amp that im not sure if it will burn up or get on fire?...i dont want that sorry...lmao......i think ill call at funkywaves finally........

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
one 18 inch isn't enough for HT. two 18s really arent either. ask warp. .. needed 6 to be fully satisfied. you have 30 days why not keep it for a week and decide for YOURSELF whether it is good for HT for your needs. many people are happy with stf 2s for HT!

I understand being enticed by the rythmik but DO NOT let the review form your opinion of this one. that is a more expensive sub so it is SHOULD be better in at least a few ways. that doesnt maoe the hsu a mess at all. a 4 in performance and 5 in value is exceptional.

re; billy is the funkywaves 12 an lms? i know it is a tc sounds driver but i dont think it uses the linear motor.
Hum...I thought it was or it should be from all accounts. The FW12x was designed for use with the AE av12x and/or TC sounds Revo and later he swiched over LMS. Maybe we should ask Nathan or Gene that question because I'm not 100% sure...:eek:.

PS: Not to derail this thread...I asked this question in the FW thread...looking forward to his response.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis