Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Reviewed

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Aperion Audio Verus Grand speaker system measures as good as it sounds and sounds as good as it looks. This speaker package won our 2010 Product of the Year award for very good reason.

Discuss "Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So:

With a pair of these towers at $1800 and winning the POY; and the Salk SongTowers at $1900 and so highly recommended, there is no doubt in my mind that both are great speakers. Ideally someone would listen to both before making a decision, but it is pretty difficult to listen to Salks without having the money permanently committed to them.
Can you offer some pros and cons or maybe some situations which would might suggest one over the other?

For example, might one be better at playing very soft or loud? Or for a particular types of music?

Thanks.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'd love to see a shootout between these and the Salk Song Towers and the upcoming Ascend tower. It'll be a battle royal and I'm curious how they all compare. I love my Salks but I do have music that stumps the little 5" woofers and I'm always curious.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I'd love to see a shootout between these and the Salk Song Towers and the upcoming Ascend tower. It'll be a battle royal and I'm curious how they all compare. I love my Salks but I do have music that stumps the little 5" woofers and I'm always curious.
Don't forget the SVS MTS-02...

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I was wondering how far off of the wall the towers should be since they have both ports in the back, would these be practical to use in an HT that is limited in space whereas they need to be some what closer to the wall ?? A typical set up with panel , towers flanking and so on , just curious as to the distance during review, thanks, sawz.

B

bobr1952

Audiophyte
Im sure you can get a better answer from Aperion but when I talked to them earlier this week, Jason did say the towers do sound best when out a bit from the rear wall. Something I can do with my setup since my TV is on a stand. I was impressed enough after reading about them--and talking to Jason--even before this review--that I ordered the towers along with a center speaker. Now I just have to wait until March for them to arrive.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Those are not even in the same catagory IMO.I hated the sound of the SVS speakers.I love their subs but thats it for me.
- The STS or the MTS? Very different speakers
- Was it properly driven? The MTS-02 would need a separate amp to run it properly.
- Was the tweeter switch on flat?
- what was it that you hated?

R

rushwj

Audioholic
Tom reviewed three great speakers - Salk Song Towers, Salk HT2 and these aperion verus grand. i'd love to hear his thoughts on comparing them (although i believe he did a very nice comparison b/w the salks in his HT2 review - but a comparison of where these aperions fit in and why would be great!). thanks in advance tom

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Tom reviewed three great speakers - Salk Song Towers, Salk HT2 and these aperion verus grand. i'd love to hear his thoughts on comparing them (although i believe he did a very nice comparison b/w the salks in his HT2 review - but a comparison of where these aperions fit in and why would be great!). thanks in advance tom
It is my understanding that Tom retained the Salk SongTowers as his reference speakers.
It is an obvious comparison, and I was disappointed not to see it mentioned.
One could speculate that with the SongTowers sitting in the same room, a statement like "The Aperion Audio Verus Grand line has redefined, for me, value in high end speakers..." is pretty conclusive, but I would like to see the question addressed a bit more directly.
It may be difficult to make a decent comparison with the HT2 which he heard over 10 months ago.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
It is my understanding that Tom retained the Salk SongTowers as his reference speakers.
My impressions from his review were that the Songtowers and VGT were probably toe-to-toe but the VGC wiped the floor with whatever he's got right now (SongCenter?)

It makes me wanna get a VGC. Do you think it would aesthetically match EMP e5Tis?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My impressions from his review were that the Songtowers and VGT were probably toe-to-toe but the VGC wiped the floor with whatever he's got right now (SongCenter?)

It makes me wanna get a VGC. Do you think it would aesthetically match EMP e5Tis?
Well, either I missed something or you are doing a healthy amount of reading between the lines in reaching that interpretation.;)
I think he only runs the SongTowers in a 2.0 or 2.1 configuration, but don't know that. I've never read mention of a SongCenter.

Almost always, Tom does make comparisons to his reference speakers, and, in this case, the SongTowers are almost a perfect match-up with the Verus Grand Towers.

If you look at the ratings on the last pages (which is admittedly strange since we are comparing a 5.1 system with a pair of tower speakers), the scores are as follows:
Category - Aperion/Salk
Build Quality - 5/5
Appearance - 4/5
Treble Extension - 4/5
Treble Smoothness - 5/4
Midrange Accuracy - 5/4
Bass Extension - 3/5
Bass Accuracy - 4/5
Imaging - 5/5
Soundstage - 5/3
Dynamic Range - 5/4
Fit and Finish - 4/5
Performance - 4.5/4.5
Value - 5/4

So much of the question is what degree of the Aperion's superior treble smoothness and midrange accuracy might be attributed to the center? It is impressive that the SongTower dome tweeter offers more extension than the latest and greatest Aperion tweeter. Bass ratings for the Aperion are reasonably directed at the subwoofer, so that is left open.

However, when I get down to the performance and value ratings, knowing that this includes a poor subwoofer in the mix, I think that the Aperion looks pretty strong.

Another way of looking at it is if you remove the sub scores, everything that relates to sound quality is a 5 for the Aperions except the treble extension.

So, it may well be hair-brained of me to attempt to compare scores like this, but the absence of a comparison between the SongTowers and the Verus Grand Towers is too conspicuous to be left unquestioned (at least for me).

These are two very substantial offerings for audioholics wanting to maximize their audio budget.

In a perfect world, it would be easy, Salk would have the same return policy as Aperion, and you could just buy both, listen to them in your own home for up to 30 days and return the one you don't like for a full refund!

Last edited:
gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
pretty sweet, I would not get the sub though hsu and svsound just seem better. I dont did the fact that you cannot replace a driver without sed it back is kinda lame. Shipping is expensive and takes a lot of time

B

bobr1952

Audiophyte
pretty sweet, I would not get the sub though hsu and svsound just seem better. I dont did the fact that you cannot replace a driver without sed it back is kinda lame. Shipping is expensive and takes a lot of time
Absolutely--that is my plan to get an HSU--either 15H or ULS-15. Nothing is perfect but I think the VGC will be about as close to perfect as I am going to get on my budget. :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Well, either I missed something or you are doing a healthy amount of reading between the lines in reaching that interpretation.;)
Dunno if he even has a center channel but i was under the impression the verus grand center made a huge difference in the overall review:

If any speaker can make or break your movie and surround experience, it's the center. While I continue to contend (and you'll see how true this is later in the review) that the center is the least important speaker in your surround sound system for the simple reason that it is the only that can be removed and have other speakers take up it's duties (at least if you sit in the sweet spot), a good one can make a world of difference. Conversely, I've been in the presence of a bad center and it is, without a doubt, the single most annoying thing sans a torn woofer. When the center is handling all of the vocals, to have one that underperforms means that you'll either struggle to understand the dialogue or you'll be forced to increase the volume so that it no longer blends well with the rest of the system. This can be a huge problem.

Luckily, this wasn't the case with the Verus Grand Center. Not only did it hold up well in the presence of the Towers, it had no problems blending while maintaining intelligibility. Aperion rates the Verus Grand Center down to 50Hz at -3db and 42Hz at -6dB. There were a few times in my listening tests when I walked up to the Center to adjust the position and noticed just how clear and non-fatiguing it was. In particular, when I was listening to the Diana Krall: Live in Rio Blu-ray, only her vocals are coming from the Center. At reference levels, I walked up to the speaker and could practically put my ear on it without pain. The Verus Grand Center was so clear, so distortion free, I have no problems saying it is the best center speaker I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in my room. Sure it's a bit big but it is sooooooo worth it when you hear it.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
And I'd actually take issue with the center being the least important speaker. Sure, stereo can pick up the slack when you're sitting dead center, but what happens when you move even a little bit off-center? Your imaging collapses, and sounds are no longer positioned where they should be relative to the screen.

The center channel is essential for anyone who sits anywhere other than dead center.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
And I'd actually take issue with the center being the least important speaker. Sure, stereo can pick up the slack when you're sitting dead center, but what happens when you move even a little bit off-center? Your imaging collapses, and sounds are no longer positioned where they should be relative to the screen.

The center channel is essential for anyone who sits anywhere other than dead center.
See I read this a LOT. You guys may very well be correct, perhaps depending on the fact that you actually have a proper center speaker for offaxis listening (read: vertically arrayed speaker on the same plane as your mains), but in my experiences, dialogue intelligibility is much better with phantom, even when offaxis, and I guess I must be led to believe this is directly related to horiz MTM lobing.

Yes, you might* have a "hole" between speakers, depending on the spread, but perhaps the most important function of the center speaker is dialogue.

My old center speaker is like most center speakers, so far as I know, in that at about 20 degrees offaxis, the mids are 180 degrees out of phase. The xover is rarely/never low enough (which is already a double edged sword as you're putting the xover smack dab in the middle of the critical speech passband). The drivers are typically spaced too far as well.

Just my limited experiences. I am so happy to finally have 3 identical speakers across, vertically arrayed, same plane.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Yes, I'm using a JBL S38ii as my center, so vert array.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I'm using a JBL S38ii as my center, so vert array.
Thanks. Then do you feel any need to qualify your strong opinion/statement with this in mind, or do you still maintain your opinion even when a horiz MTM is used for offaxis listening?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Thanks. Then do you feel any need to qualify your strong opinion/statement with this in mind, or do you still maintain your opinion even when a horiz MTM is used for offaxis listening?
I would say that lobbing is something to be considered in all MTM designs, though it's more of a problem in some implementations than others. I suppose if your only choice is a center speaker poorly designed for off-axis listening, and you plan to do a significant amount of listening off-axis, then yes, no center may be the best option. If, however, you have the means to purchase a non-MTM design, or one with better off-axis response, then I'd still argue in favor of a center speaker. A poorly implemented center speaker is no reason to do without, and a great reason to go speaker shopping.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis