McIntosh Labs MC601 Monoblock Amplifier Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
McIntosh Laboratory, a global manufacturer of home entertainment and ultimate-quality audio for over 60 years, announced the debut of a new amplifier that brings legendary McIntosh performance capabilities and style together with a host of leading-edge features and extended functionality for today's digital age. The new MC601 Monoblock Amplifier, which replaces McIntosh's hugely popular MC501 amplifier, will ship in January of 2011. It joins the company's new Models MC302 and MC452 in the McIntosh amplifier lineup, all with new engineering advances and extended functionality.

Discuss "McIntosh Labs MC601 Monoblock Amplifier Preview" here. Read the article.

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
wrong picture

The MC601 has a flat face as per older generations of Mc amps and an 8 inch meter similar to that of the MC1.2KW amp.

The picture appears to be of a MC501 which the MC601 replaces.

MikeSp

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
$6500!? - :rolleyes:

It may be powerful. It may be pretty. It may have prestige. It ain't worth that much...

I take it, if it was given to me though.:D Well, I'd need at least a couple...

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I don't really think it's that pretty.
I couldn't agree more - I don't get why there is so much love for McIntosh appearance. The blue backlighting, the chrome on the knobs... sorry, doesn't do it for me one bit. I liked the look of the Onkyo amp with gauges from the other day way more than this one.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I too do not find McIntosh's appearance appealing. I realize they've decided to stick to the 70's look but they picked the worst combination of aesthetics in my opinion. Take the knobs for example, I'm sure they feel nice when you turn them but they look cheasy. There are plenty of vintage designs they could have modeled after that were far more appealing than this.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Yep. Never liked the Mac look. I do like the Classe gear.
Marantz looks nice too with rounded corners. I do like the old gauges on the old Marantz 8B amps- like something out of a 50's sci fi flick. I wonder what TLS thinks of those old Marantz 8B's?

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
I too do not find McIntosh's appearance appealing. I realize they've decided to stick to the 70's look but they picked the worst combination of aesthetics in my opinion. Take the knobs for example, I'm sure they feel nice when you turn them but they look cheasy. There are plenty of vintage designs they could have modeled after that were far more appealing than this.
McIntosh Labs has stuck with a design that McFans prefer -- the only other amps in the past 15 years or so from Mc that did not have a flat face were the MC501's and MC402's which had a 3-dimensional face but the same large blue meter and two knobs (one for power on, off, auto and one for meter light off, meter hold at highest wattage output, meter on). I would venture a guess that these new 600 watt monos will weigh in over 120 pounds each, have less than 0.005% THD at full 600 watts and put out their 600 watts at 2, 4 or 8 ohm loads and like other McAmps, have a protection circuit preventing damage from shorting the amp outputs or from clipping. IF McIntosh Labs should change that general design very much, they would lose customers in the U.S., Japan and Europe that value that "traditional Mc look."

Obviously, it is not a design for everyone.:)

MikeSp

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I've always been a fan of McIntosh performance and their appearance, but I have a little bit of an amplifier addiction, so there aren't a lot of quality amps that I don't have an appreciation for...

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Added to my "if I ever win the lottery" list. ;) Maybe I'm showing my age but I've been in love with their stuff since the 70s.

M

Miketuason

Audioholic Intern
I'm a Mac user, I didn't bought my Macs for look although they look good to me, I bought them because they produce excellent quality sound/music.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think MAC's look great. Cost too much for me, but I would love to have all MAC's.

As far as SQ, well, I think you guys know where I stand with that. :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I think MAC's look great. Cost too much for me, but I would love to have all MAC's.

As far as SQ, well, I think you guys know where I stand with that. :D
MACs are just TOO expensive.

IMO, they're the Bose of high end.

I'll stick with a Hypex, Crown, Marantz, etc.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
MACs are just TOO expensive.

IMO, they're the Bose of high end.

I'll stick with a Hypex, Crown, Marantz, etc.
The Bose of high-end? That's not fair at all. McIntosh makes quality products that virtually last forever. I've never understood their speakers, though I haven't heard any of their latest products, but in solid state electronics they fill a market niche. I don't agree with some of their technology choices, like Autoformers, but their build quality is amazing. You're not in their target market. We've discussed this before, McIntosh sells into a market that cares more about look and feel and bullet-proof construction than the best price-performance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if those blue lights on the MACs are any distraction in a pitch black room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Bose of high-end? That's not fair at all. McIntosh makes quality products that virtually last forever. I've never understood their speakers, though I haven't heard any of their latest products, but in solid state electronics they fill a market niche. I don't agree with some of their technology choices, like Autoformers, but their build quality is amazing. You're not in their target market. We've discussed this before, McIntosh sells into a market that cares more about look and feel and bullet-proof construction than the best price-performance.
Do you think the quality of those MAC are better than the AT3000 amps?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Do you think the quality of those MAC are better than the AT3000 amps?
well they sure are worth a heck of a lot more on the used market than my ATI's... I say don't know I owned a mac back in the 80's which I still had it built like a tank.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
well they sure are worth a heck of a lot more on the used market than my ATI's... I say don't know I owned a mac back in the 80's which I still had it built like a tank.
I've heard people own ATI amps for 30 years as well. People use phrases like "arc welder" & "built like a tank" when it comes to ATI amps also. And the highest price does not guarantee the highest quality either.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis