Yamaha RX-A3000 Aventage Receiver VIDEO Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The RX-A3000 unlocks an almost limitless amount of options for the amplifiers, inputs, HDMI and DSP. We're talking a massive amount of configurability, and the visual representation of what you are doing makes it easy to understand the settings. There are both Front and Rear Presence channels that can be assigned, and the way the 11-PAIRS of speaker connections are laid out on the rear of the receiver, you can bet that you are going to be able to find a configuration that that works for your whole home. Look, there is so much to say about the Yamaha that we're just going to have to stop talking and force you to wait for the full review to see how it measured, and how it performed in our listening tests.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-A3000 Aventage Receiver VIDEO Preview" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Nice review on the feature set of things. I guess I am boggled at how they do 140w X 7 and have a power draw of 490 watts (the RX-Z7 only draws 500 watts) and is rated in a similar fashion.

What gives Yamaha?

Noting my H/K AVR 247 draws 540 watts with 7 channels driven and it is c conservatively rated at 50w X 7. OK-OK they use a different amp technology, maybe?.

Now certainly the Yamaha amp section is more robust but I highly doubt that it is ~3 times as powerful than the H/K.

I know...............I know that these receivers are not in the same realm but come on, give me a break on those unrealistic ratings.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice review on the feature set of things. I guess I am boggled at how they do 140w X 7 and have a power draw of 490 watts (the RX-Z7 only draws 500 watts) and is rated in a similar fashion.

What gives Yamaha?

Noting my H/K AVR 247 draws 540 watts with 7 channels driven and it is c conservatively rated at 50w X 7. OK-OK they use a different amp technology, maybe?.

Now certainly the Yamaha amp section is more robust but I highly doubt that it is ~3 times as powerful than the H/K.

I know...............I know that these receivers are not in the same realm but come on, give me a break on those unrealistic ratings.
This is industry prevalent and I wish electronic manufacturers would come to an agreement with a meaningful power specifications including draw. Test for no load and full load, all channels driven into a reactive load of 45 degrees (do electrostat speakers have a higher phase angle than 45 ) to the limit of say a 15/20amp current draw as per household wiring codes.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Can't wait for the TRUTH to be revealed. It is a sweet receiver none the less. I was not wanting to start a Yammy Bashing thread or anything.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

What gives Yamaha?
Oh geez. The backpanel power rating is NOT a max power rating unless it states it. It's typically 2 channels driven at full rated power for 2CH amps/receivers so 140wpc x 2 + say 50 watts for processing / 0.5 eff = 660 watts but for multi channel receivers they typically run 1 channnel at rated power and the others at 1/8th power which is much closer to the 500 watt rating on the backpanel. This is how UL does their heat dissipation tests.

Please read:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/the-all-channels-driven-acd-amplifier-test

and:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/impedance-selector-switch-1

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh geez. The backpanel power rating is NOT a max power rating unless it states it.
For more information, one can refer to the operating manual, HK does typically state in their instruction manual that the power consumption figure is a 'maximum'. They don't define maximum but just say maximum

Yamaha, on the other hand, depending on the model, sometimes they provide both 'maximum' power consumption and 'power consumption'.

For example, in the RX-Z7 manual, on the specifications page, they provided just 'power consumption' but for the RX-V3900, RX-V1800 etc., they provided the 'power consumption' of 500W and also the 'maximum' power consumption of 1100W, 6 ch and 6% THD.

As for HK, take the 254 as an example, the back panel says ac input 390W, and the manual says 540W maximum, 7 ch driven.

I don't think HK AVRs are rated conservatively. With the exception of their flag ship models, HTM, S&V, HCC etc. lab measurements consistently showed they rated their gear realistically, but not more conservatively than the likes of mid range AVRs such as Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer models.

If you compare Yamha and HK AVRs in the same price range you will find that in general Yamaha models have stronger amps while their power supplies are more or less equal.

S

sleeper52

Enthusiast
which to buy?

The RX-A3000 is now similarly priced with the newer RX-A2010. Which would you guys recommend on buying???

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis