JBL Synthesis THX Ultra2 Certified SK2-3300 LCR First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The THX Ultra2 certified JBL Synthesis SK2-3300 LCR has technology based on the flagship Project Everest. Sporting dual 10" woofers plus two ports, a heavily braced enclosure with a curved front baffle, and dual binding posts plus horn-loaded midrange and ultra high-frequency drivers with extension all the way up to 50kHz. The 1" ultra-high-frequency beryllium diaphragm driver is paired with a 60x30 degree JBL Bi-Radial horn. The horn shape is designed to increase off axis response as horn-loaded drivers are known for their directionality. The 3" beryllium diaphragm midrange/high-frequency compression driver is mated with a 100x60 degree horn. The 10" woofers are treated with JBL's Aquaplas material, has dual 3-inch heavy-duty edge-wound voice coils, neodymium motor structures, and cast-aluminum frames. In our book, if there was ever a speaker designed to be heard and not seen, the JBL Synthesis SK-3300 LCR is it.

Discuss "JBL Synthesis THX Ultra2 Certified SK2-3300 LCR First Look" here. Read the article.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Not the prettiest speaker on the block but I bet it would sound great behind an acoustic curtain.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not the prettiest speaker on the block but I bet it would sound great behind an acoustic curtain.
yeah, if you like horns. i do not. but i bet those sucka's "crank".

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
Which horns did you seem to have issues with....?
the ones in the theaters. they all sound the same, un natural .

i would bet the JBL home stuff sounds pretty good.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
the ones in the theaters. they all sound the same, un natural .

i would bet the JBL home stuff sounds pretty good.
Sounds like you haven't heard a commercial theater that is properly set up and EQ'd.

Horns used in theaters can sound jaw dropping. Not just in dynamics and scale either. They can be every bit as subtle, natural and nuanced as a good home rig.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Horns are an absolute must in large listening spaces like movie theaters or concert venues.

I have had a chance to listen to JBL Synthesis in a home environment and the system was excellent and I am by no means a "horn" person unless you add a "y" to it :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Horns are an absolute must in large listening spaces like movie theaters or concert venues.

I have had a chance to listen to JBL Synthesis in a home environment and the system was excellent and I am by no means a "horn" person unless you add a "y" to it :D
You cheeky devil you!! :D

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Well, I heard the JBL Everest II in Japan last month, which this LCR is designed after, and the Everest was superb, in every way. Smooth, clear, precise, detailed, powerful. Certainly not yesteryear's horn systems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis