DISH ViP 922 SlingLoaded DVR Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We've been fans and clients of DISH for some time, and have been following their ViP 922 DVR with great interest for nearly two years. When it was finally released, we jumped all over it and quickly requested one to integrate into our system. Somehow, and we're almost embarrassed to say this, we missed out on the Sling phenomenon, so it was with great enthusiasm that we were determined to try out all of the great networking features included in this fully SlingLoaded High Definition Satellite DVR. After all, Echostar, sister company to DISH, acquired Sling back in 2007 - and this is their first product to integrate both technologies into one box.

Discuss "DISH ViP 922 SlingLoaded DVR Review" here. Read the article.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I have been waiting for this DVR to come out. I don't know when I will be able to get one but it looks awesome. Obviously they did away with the trackpad control. I wasn't to sure about that. I like the fact that Dish is actually innovating in this catagory where most cable companies just keep using the same crappy equipment and GUI.

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
I don't mean to highjack but..........

My current Dish Network plan is not HD.
I have a 501D dvr and a 311 receiver.
I'm about to move into my newly built house and would like to upgrade to HD.
I'd also like to keep at least one of my current receivers so I can take it with me when I go RVing.
I know I won't get the HD channels but can I in fact have a NON-HD receiver on and HD package?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Really cool looking, although I never every use the front of the unit, but it certainly has the appeal to be put right out for people to see.... beautiful. I'm not really understanding the need for the watching TV from anywhere.... but to each their own....

I have been using the 722 & 622 for quite some time and also use from time to time the iphone remote to program stuff on the fly, but not all that often... I used it more to mess with my kid when I wasn't home. changing channels and starting playback of some really aweful stuff I recorded just for this application of messing with him... :)

Can't say that I would pay whatever they will be asking to upgrade to it...

G

gqmagic

Junior Audioholic
I have a 722k and have been thinking of adding an hd slingbox. On Sat Guys the early thinking was a stand alone seemed better than the 2in1 922.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Really cool looking, although I never every use the front of the unit, but it certainly has the appeal to be put right out for people to see.... beautiful. I'm not really understanding the need for the watching TV from anywhere.... but to each their own....

I have been using the 722 & 622 for quite some time and also use from time to time the iphone remote to program stuff on the fly, but not all that often... I used it more to mess with my kid when I wasn't home. changing channels and starting playback of some really aweful stuff I recorded just for this application of messing with him... :)

Can't say that I would pay whatever they will be asking to upgrade to it...
Keep in mind the TV2 cannot be used in the same way as the 722 allows.
The TV2 device must be network enabled. A simple bedroom CRT, as I have, won't cut it. It's great that you can watch a show on the Iphone:rolleyes: but personally I'm a bit disappointed with this receiver.

One interesting thing is that the 722k is compatible with GoogleTV while the 922 is not. So, the 722k becomes more powerful if you simply add an aftermarket Sling to it - which Dish is rolling out shortly.

If you haven't yet checked it out, here is our Logitech Revue Google TV review

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis