Emotiva PMA-7350 7-Channel Amplifier First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The PMA-7350 - a seven channel, 350 watts per channel monster of an amp is the flagship in Emotiva's new Pro line. Of course, with amplifiers it is what is on the inside that counts and the Emotiva PMA-7350 has a massive 1.3kVA toroidal transformer pushing out 350 watts into 8 ohms. The amp is stable into 4 ohms and is fully safety compliance for worldwide sale. With such a large amp pushing such power, you'd expect a lot of heat or fan noise. The PMA-7350 is completely convection cooled (no fans) thanks to it's class H design. This means silent operation without having to worry about your amp cooking the rest of your gear (let your Xbox 360 do that). While $3k may be a bit stiff for the Internet Direct crowd, it's practically a bargain for the custom install consumer.

Discuss "Emotiva PMA-7350 7-Channel Amplifier First Look" here. Read the article.

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
it looks amazing, and a one box solution to power whatever speakers i would choose to add in the future (not giving up my cary monoblocks for the fronts, lol). can anyone give me a simple description of what Class H is?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Class H is nothing more than a rail switching amplifier that tracks the input signal and adjusts accordingly. They are very high efficient designs, almost as efficient as some Class D designs but without the out of band noise issues or variation in sound quality depending on the load it drives due to the output filter.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Not to mention, their power supplies are typically very solid with large transformers compared to straight up switching power supplies that go *bzzz*. Of course it translates to the use of more costly materials and it certainly adds a lot to the weight. I'm willing to forgive all of this because A. I like heavy equipment, and B. it problems performs exceptionally and likely has excessive amounts of headroom.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Emotiva's amps have been well received by all who have owned them. I have the UPA-7 and haven't found any reason to get rid of it. It is a solid performer.
I expect this amp will be no different.
For the average user they may want to wait until the consumer version of this amp comes out - the XPR-7 IIRC. Very similar power specs - class H - and a tad smaller price tag.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It looks nice, but not for $3,000.

I would rather get a practically brand new (condition 10/10) ATI AT3007 (300WPC x 7ch @ 8 ohms, 600WPC x 7ch @ 4 ohms) from Classic Audio Parts for $2500 w/ full 7yr warranty.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It looks awesome but I agree it's a bit pricey for the ID crowd. Wake me when it's $1500. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Just an additional note here. I think they really need to find someone else to lead their ergonomics and cosmetic designs because they attempt to look like something higher than their price indicates and it ends up looking tacky in my opinion. Do they look as bad as Pyle Pro......?

....not quite, but you have to admit they look cheesy (even if they feel unbelievably solid). I would like it if they tried to take on a simpler approach in appearance as apposed to this glammed up pieces of equipment with excessive blue LED highlights and light filters made of reflective plastic like on the sides of this amp and preamp that Emotiva is getting ready to roll out with.

Personally I'd prefer a more industrial look like previous budget brands such as Adcom and Parasound were it looks less than prestigious however it maintains a solid and non-cheesed appearance.

I can't be alone on this and I'm sure this has swayed many folks away from purchasing Emotiva's otherwise excellent performing equipment for the price. Their speakers look more like what I would expect the rest of their stuff to look like.

Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia

Junior Audioholic
I like the look. I think it's better then just a plain box without overdoing it. If you can turn off the blue bars on the sides that will be a big plus for a lot of people.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I really dig the way it looks, but the option to dim or turn off completely the blue lights on it would be a plus if it can't do it already.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think they really need to find someone else to lead their ergonomics and cosmetic designs because they attempt to look like something higher than their price indicates and it ends up looking tacky in my opinion...

Personally I'd prefer a more industrial look like previous budget brands such as Adcom and Parasound were it looks less than prestigious however it maintains a solid and non-cheesed appearance.

I can't be alone on this and I'm sure this has swayed many folks away from purchasing Emotiva's otherwise excellent performing equipment for the price.
Yeah, I'm one of those who have never been too fond of Emotiva aesthetics.

Here is a brand new Adcom 200wpc x 7ch @ amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Adcom-GFA-7707-7-Channel-200-Watt-Amplifier/dp/B0019DGAY2

I'm guessing many people would pick a $2,500 200wpc Adcom over a $3,000 350wpc Emotiva.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
For only $500 difference, I'd take the much more powerful Emotiva amp... not that Adcom isn't good, they make some nice amps.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
For only $500 difference, I'd take the much more powerful Emotiva amp... not that Adcom isn't good, they make some nice amps.
Yeah, and apparently the Adcom is gay too, so I guess I'll keep looking at the emotiva.:D

amazon said:
ASIN: B0019DGAY2
I don't need no sissy amp.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I bet it plays pink noise really well though.
Well since we're going for real world performance instead of a single tone, I don't feel a pink noise test will accurately demonstrate the Adcom's output capabilities.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
it just prefers the pink noise, since it's a gay amp and all...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And you can thank me for yet another derailed thread.:eek::D

How did we go from Emotiva amp to homosexuality?:eek:

BTW, the ASIN for my amp is BADASSHETEROMUSCLEMAN1000.:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis