Emotiva PMC-1 7.1 Media Processor/Controller First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
What happens when the manufacturer of budget products decides to pull out all the stops? The Emotiva PMC-1 Media Processor/Controller has a lot of features that dealers and custom installers will find attractive. With seven HDMI 1.4 inputs (with Audio Return Channel) and two outputs, RCA and balanced outputs for 7.2 channels, 7.1 channel analogue inputs, and a host of installer-friendly features, the PMC-1 is sure to get a lot of attention. A lack of specifics about the feature set and a complete lack of analogue video inputs or outputs has us concerned. We'll keep you posted as more details are released.

Discuss "Emotiva PMC-1 7.1 Media Processor/Controller First Look" here. Read the article.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I am sure the first thought on every ones mind:

Will it be bug ridden like their last attempt? It this unit a licensed product from another vendor or an in house effort?

Will be interesting to see. I don't frequent the Emotiva forums, maybe it is discussed there.

JimmyTango

JimmyTango

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, after the issues their last effort has had, I would not be looking to send them $3,000.

R

raffin

Enthusiast
It might have a chance at being decent if it isn't built by Tone Winner (builder of the UMC-1).

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
My gosh,they haven't got the UMC-1 right and they want to put a new unit on the market:eek::confused:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Yeah, after the issues their last effort has had, I would not be looking to send them $3,000.
Thats correct, because they are setting up a dealer network;) not ID

It might have a chance at being decent if it isn't built by Tone Winner (builder of the UMC-1).
Not sure, :(

My gosh,they haven't got the UMC-1 right and they want to put a new unit on the market:eek::confused:
The unit isnt in the market yet:D

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

I am sure the first thought on every ones mind:

Will it be bug ridden like their last attempt? It this unit a licensed product from another vendor or an in house effort?

Will be interesting to see. I don't frequent the Emotiva forums, maybe it is discussed there.
But I'll still volunteer to be their first guinea pig again. The UMC-1 has turned out to be a good unit for me. Just took them a few shots on the firmware. :eek:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
What exactly was wrong with the UMC hardware? I could have sworn all of people's problems wit it were firmware related.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
What 'was' wrong with the UMC is still wrong with it. Seems among other things they have several versions of hardware out there and all using the same firmware. That may or may not make matters worse. They also have a new firmware version being shipped with the latest UMC-1s sold - but that firmware isn't available to current owners.

Seems Emotiva can't shoot straight.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What 'was' wrong with the UMC is still wrong with it. Seems among other things they have several versions of hardware out there and all using the same firmware. That may or may not make matters worse. They also have a new firmware version being shipped with the latest UMC-1s sold - but that firmware isn't available to current owners.

Seems Emotiva can't shoot straight.
I guess the most recent/current UMC-1 owners are in luck with what I have been reading at AVSForum. Even people with older units may not have the magic mix of components connected to the UMC-1 that would make it flake out on them.

I would say that Emotiva's plan was to get a platform going (fully debugged) that could be rolled into higher end stuff. Now that the heavy lifting is already done it is basically akin to a maintenance release to put a new, higher end, fully balanced product out there. That is have a platform that is good to go for the next 7-10 years. Because is there really something close on the other side of the horizon when it comes to the HD video and audio codecs?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
If it does not have Audessy or the Trinov room correction then it is a big waste of time at the price they are charging and you would be better off with one of the Integra/Onkyo Pro models. Their amps are amazing for the money but why Emotiva and Yamaha do not have Audessy I don't understand.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Pioneer and Harman Kardon don't utilize Audyssey either. I had an HK 254 before I bought the Integra - the EZset or whatever it's called did a decent job on eqing the speakers - not so well on the sub - but neither does Audyssey. I've had to install an eq for the A5-350 - the Cascade sub has it's own built in.

It certainly looks like Emotiva is gaining traction on their troubles with the UMC-1 but it sounds like they have a ways to go. I wish them well. After all where will we get such great amps at the prices they sell them for? Outlaw would be the only one left I know of. If Emotiva went belly up Outlaw could hike their prices - and I wouldn't blame them.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
Can't wait to see how many problems this has. I had the umc-1, what a joke. Tons of problems that they blamed on my equipment. Sent it back and have no problems with my pioneer elite hooked to the same components as the emotiva. Emotiva will never get anymore money from me.

R

raffin

Enthusiast
What exactly was wrong with the UMC hardware? I could have sworn all of people's problems wit it were firmware related.
It may be mostly firmware issues, but there have been more than a few firmware updates and not much improvement. Do a search on the LMC-1. It has a very similar track record to the UMC-1 and was also made by Tone Winner.

I currently own an Emotiva DMC-1 and have had zero problems with it. It was sourced from a company other than Tone Winner. I have nothing against Emotiva and in fact was looking to purchase a UMC-1 or XMC-1 at a 40% discount, but given all the documented problems with the UMC there is no way I would subject myself and my family to it. I ended up purchasing a Pioneer Elite receiver and will use it as my processor instead.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis