Yamaha RX-V867 Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new Yamaha RX-V867 receiver shows up with not only 3D capability built in (which equates to HDMI version 1.4a) an Audio Return Channel but also networking features, multiple HDMI inputs and dual outputs, and analogue and HDMI upscaling to 1080P. All this for sub $900? We just had to take a closer look.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V867 Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

N

neveo

Audiophyte
Where is the best place to enable networking in a home AV system. For example, I have Google TV and the HDMI 1.4a componenta in my system that are IP enabled can share the Google TV connection to my network. I have a Sony DVD that I used for Netflix before I got Google TV and it now shares the Google TV ethernet connection. But to what end? I am replacing my AV receiver with an HDMI 1.4a capable one - it seems that networking on the new AV would add nothing to the functionality of my system. So, unless I am missing something, I will go with the RX-667 and save the money I spent on a Logitech Revue box for Google TV

A

alisrael

Audiophyte
Audio levels of new A/V receiver

Hi,

I have a old RV-1105, which is actually working great. I am planning on upgrading the receiver to a 7.1 channel receiver. I was looking for a comparable receiver, and decided on RX-A800 or Onkyo NR708. The A800 is rated @95W/Channel, and the Onkyo is rated is 105W/Channel. Both of which are higher than my 1105 (rated @85W/Channel). However, what is surprising is I have to be at least @75% of the volume to hear audio levels that I get with my 1105 @30%. Sometime I dont even hear anything till -20db on these new receiver. The RV1105 sounds so much better than the new receivers, and I am not sure how a receiver rated @85W/channel sounds louder than the ones rated @95W or 105w. I know loud is not always better, but some effects are better when they are louder. Anyone has any thoughts?

Albert

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

I have a old RV-1105, which is actually working great. I am planning on upgrading the receiver to a 7.1 channel receiver. I was looking for a comparable receiver, and decided on RX-A800 or Onkyo NR708. The A800 is rated @95W/Channel, and the Onkyo is rated is 105W/Channel. Both of which are higher than my 1105 (rated @85W/Channel). However, what is surprising is I have to be at least @75% of the volume to hear audio levels that I get with my 1105 @30%. Sometime I dont even hear anything till -20db on these new receiver. The RV1105 sounds so much better than the new receivers, and I am not sure how a receiver rated @85W/channel sounds louder than the ones rated @95W or 105w. I know loud is not always better, but some effects are better when they are louder. Anyone has any thoughts?

Albert

Are you saying that you hooked these receivers up to your speakers in the same room as your current system and found the loudness difference/volume?

A

alisrael

Audiophyte
Yes, I have the exact same speakers (Infinity RS series), and a Klipsch subwoofer, and RV-1105 sounds much louder than the Onkyo 708 or the new Yamaha. I even asked the Yamaha tech service, and he said the RV-1105 was a much better AMP.

Albert

L

languid

Audiophyte
response to questions

There is a volume trim in the options menu that can be adjusted to increase the volume on this unit. It doesn't take much adjustment to address the issue.

I found the audio quality improved with more use/burn in. A couple of things to consider: This unit supports bi-amping speakers, big improvement with this if your speakers are constructed for this. Second, take the time to set up the surround using the provided microphone. Third, I found that the unit needed a slight increase with bass trim. Last point: I found the digital connectors for my CD player (I have an entry Arcam unit) sound better than the Analog (rca). This is in contrast to my last unit.

Hope this helps. I find the unit to be pleasant for the price.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis