Yamaha R-S700 Stereo Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The US version of Yamaha's R-S700 has some definite improvements over the UK version. Most notable is included Zone 2 support with a dedicated remote. With high quality components, 100 watts per channel, Pure and CD Direct modes, and a host of features, two-channel enthusiasts have a lot to think about. All but the price. At a suggested $549.95, the R-S700 is practically a bargain buy for many esoterics out there. We fully expect this product to do well is select groups. We really think many an executive or anyone that spends a lot of time in an office would be interested in the R-S700 or one of its lower cost cousins.

Discuss "Yamaha R-S700 Stereo Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds look like good bang for the buck at $549.00

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the review, Tom!
Do you know if the receiver offers any bass management?
Some people want to set up a 2.1 bookshelf speaker system and being able to filter out the <80hz signal from the small speakers would make it the stereo receiver to get.

techenvy

Enthusiast
thankyou for posting this

i was about to get the 797 when i saw this coming out this month,, what should i doooooo please jhelp which one is better.

ok what fgirst drew me to the 797 was the fact you can remote siwtch a/b your speaker.

i like to compare a lot of speaker and i am sick and tired of getting up to do this.

so does this new s700 let you a/b via rmote... oh please pretty please......

moreover i really need a preout for my headphone amp and a second pre out(would zone 2 suffice?) so i could use the unit as a preamp if need be?

and finally has anyone heard the 797, i have read some very conflicting statments on yamha , some say bright, and some have said warmer than onkyo?

i am very close to doing a onkyo tx 8555 vs yamaha 797 stereo review so anyone with any experience on these matters would really help me out?

what benefits does the new s700 yamaha have over the 797 ?

thanks i am literally about to pull the trigger

2 channel cheers

techenvy

Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, Tom!
Do you know if the receiver offers any bass management?
Some people want to set up a 2.1 bookshelf speaker system and being able to filter out the <80hz signal from the small speakers would make it the stereo receiver to get.
+1 ??

good question

techenvy

Enthusiast
^^ anyone having any info on these or any veteran 797 owners out there? how would you compare the 797 to another reference stereo i might be farmiliar with??

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Great to see a review -- or a mention these days! -- about a stereo receiver, let alone one that's in the "affordable" category...

Although I do disagree just a tad regarding the fact that it suggests this Yamaha can be used solely in an office situation; why couldn't a good, well built albeit affordable stereo receiver be used in the front of a decent two channel system for serious listening?

Techenvy, as I posted in my other thread to you, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Onkyo 8555 -- I'm running one connected to Polk R20 bookshelves, and it really woke these speakers up. Not that this Yamaha or another brand won't deliver the goods -- but I just figured I would give you a thumbs up from an actual ownership experience...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
is the subwoofer out lowpassed or full range?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I'd like to make a bit of an edit here to my original reply; it seems that upon read of the full review article, there is indeed reference to this receiver "providing enough oooomph as the centerpiece of a two channel system" or some such words, so my initial response of the review lacking enthusiast focus in terms of stereo receivers was a bit premature.

M

Medwynn

Audiophyte
I would like to say I've had the Yamaha R-S700 Receiver for a little over a month. An early Christmas gift along with a pair of Energy RC-50 speakers.

It was a part of me wanting just a decent 2 channel audio setup. I haven't hooked up a subwoofer yet to it since the RC-50's do their job in the lower frequencies. The subwoofer output is full range.

Now i'm not an audio expert by any means but I think this receiver is a great buy with some of the features it has.

I constantly use the Pure Direct switch when playing music through our CD decks and mixer. It does switch from A/B through the remote also.

Is there anyone else out there that has this receiver? I can't find any reviews on it.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Glad to hear you are enjoying the receiver -- I cannot help with discussing the same model with you, as I don't have the Yamaha, but I'd like to discuss some things with you as well as ask some questions...

You mentioned your "CD decks" and "mixers"...what kind of system is this hooked up to? And how do you feel about the "Direct" mode when listening to CDs? I too have a Direct mode on my Onkyo stereo receiver, but don't really use it, as it seems Direct and Stereo sound about the same to me...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis