Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Just when you thought there wasn't a better Universal Blu-ray player on the market for under $500 than the legendary BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player, Oppo proves you wrong by unveiling a new successor model: the BDP-93. Carrying the same retail price ($499), Oppo's BDP-93 has upped the bar by adding new networking/streaming features, increased performance and improved build quality. The Oppo BDP-93 will do virtually everything the BDP-83 BD player did, plus have some major feature upgrades like Netflix streaming and dual HDMI outputs.

Discuss "Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player" here. Read the article.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
One minute, I'm bummed that I missed the BDP-80 (discontinued- but will keep an eye out for sales).

The next minute I see this...

This is a good time to be in this hobby! :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It would be wonderful if they included support for FLAC audio playback, and well as video rips (ISO, MKV, VOB) for those of use that store legally purchased material on home servers. If they did that I'd consider retiring my WDTV Live and my DVD-A player and buying the Oppo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. The tray was one of the only things that I wasn't impressed with on the 83. I'll hold out for the "93SE" and see how much that ends up being :) I am not a fan of the flush buttons - that just means fingerprints, even though I do like the look of it.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Wow,

those Oppo guys are pretty fast in the draw, aren't they??

I'm not into 3D stuff at all, but they've done well in keeping the same -83 MSRP, IMO and the best thing on this new -93 player is the dual HDMI ports, which can be simultaneously used and that means one less component on your rack (a switcher), unless you own a dual HDMI port AVR already.

Bottom line: my now defunct -80 will be in for a long while, for sure!

Edit: I just realised I have at least 3 Oppo bodies lying down here, so I better call up the morgue... :p:)

J

Juan_R

Enthusiast
This is great news, was hoping Oppo added Netflix and now my prayers have been answered.:) Time to retire the PS3 to the den.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
And this is why I hate this "hobby." I just got my BDP-83 in May!

J

Juan_R

Enthusiast
And this is why I hate this "hobby." I just got my BDP-83 in May!
Your reason for hating is the same reason for other to love this hobby, guess it is a love and hate relationship when it comes to AV. :D

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
CPD,

feel the same about my -80 though, as I got it back in March :eek:
Anyway life goes on and let's get the best outta these bad boys while we can ;)

V

visiter555

Audiophyte
How many days till November?

Just wish that I hadn't purchased the BDP-80 a few weeks ago.

B

blindcat7

Enthusiast
What I wonder is whether they will actually take the original player out of the case this time before putting it in their own case.

On another note, I wonder if Oppo would consider cretaing some apps for devices like the iPhone and Android phones to control the player. Would be nice if I could control the player with the iPod Touch I am saving up for.

Regards,
Chris

I wonder how much the Lexicon rebadge of this player will cost?:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
On another note, I wonder if Oppo would consider cretaing some apps for devices like the iPhone and Android phones to control the player. Would be nice if I could control the player with the iPod Touch I am saving up for.
There are a number of apps for that I believe. What will be more important to have are the codes for these players in the apps.

I had a feeling they would come out with a Netflix capable player, but I wasn't expecting something to this level. I am very happy with my 83SE but will be looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the new model.

Last edited:
B

blindcat7

Enthusiast
I'll have to look into that when I get the Touch. Such a thing is a big deal for someone like me that can't read onscreen menus and player displays. Since the Touch is blind accessible and most apps follow the accessibility guidelines, it would be a really great thing to be able to access all of the player's settings and functions without needing assistance from someone who can read the screen.

I'm used to memorizing remotes and button push patterns, but I would so love not having to do that anymore.

I agree with the quality of the 83. Personally, I have zero need for 3D, but the streaming features, the wireless connectivity and the dual HDMI outputs interest me. Plus, it opens up the possibility of me keeping the 83 for dedicated BD region B duty if I ever decide to get the mod and if I don't, I have a great player for another room.

Regards,

Chris

There are a number of apps for that I believe. What will be more important to have are the codes for these players in the apps.

I had a feeling they would come out with a Netflix capable player, but I wasn't expecting something to this level. I am very happy with my 83SE but will be looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the new model.

S

schaume

Enthusiast
Oppo 93

Wow, was getting ready to pull the trigger on the 83SE, but then the 93 came along, sweet! I'm hoping they put out an SE model to rival the 83SE (surprised to see they dropped the dedicated stereo output, maybe resurrected in the SE model?) Oppo-lisicious!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It says in the article that a model similar to the SE will come out later. Realistically, you don't need the stereo analog outs. The m/c L&R do just fine. I actually kind of preferred the sound from the m/c outs to the stereo outs on the 83.

6kids&adog

6kids&adog

Enthusiast
Gene,

Please ask the Oppo folks if the USB will support lossless codecs (WMA lossless / FLAC...). Since the machine is built to play hi-resolution audio (DVD-A/SACD), it would be great if I could send 96/24 WMA lossless files from portable hard drive to the player.

Thanks for the report.

dbb

Audiophyte
Interesting announcement but you need an . . .

editor. "the infamous BDP-83 " means adjective
having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.
deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.
Law .
a.
deprived of certain rights as a citizen, as a consequence of conviction of certain offenses.
b.
of or pertaining to offenses involving such deprivation

Remember "December 7, 1941, a date that will live in infamy."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis