GoldenEar Technology Triton Two Floorstanding Speaker First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you're going to have a name like GoldenEar Technology, you'd better have something other than silver wiring and pretty aesthetics to back it up. Sandy Gross, co-founder of Polk Audio and Definitive Technology, and Don Givogue, another Definitive co-founder have the sort of pedigree that lends instant respect to a new audio company. The top of the line Triton Two has dual 4.5-inch upper bass/midrange drivers with multi-vaned phase plugs in a D’Appolito configuration around a High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) tweeter. The HVFR tweeter is composed of a high temperature film which is folded like an accordion. According to GoldenEar Technology, this combination takes up no more room on the speaker face than a 1" dome tweeter but has a wider dispersion than ribbon tweeters. Pair that with integrated 1200watt subs and you've got a speaker that dips down to 16Hz for $1249 each!

Discuss "GoldenEar Technology Triton Two Floorstanding Speaker First Look" here. Read the article.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
whahuh?

GoldenEar ...what? Why on earth ....Do they really not realize the negative connotations associated with that term?

Up next : Snakeoil TM brand cables.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
GoldenEar ...what? Why on earth ....Do they really not realize the negative connotations associated with that term?

Up next : Snakeoil TM brand cables.
You think that's bad? I like how their abbreviated name = GE

I will call after Cedia to inquire about becoming a dealer. Some respectable people look to have started that company. I'll report back with the inside scoop! I would do so today, but their website is on lock down. Tough to have intelligent questions about their company and products without any information.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do they really not realize the negative connotations associated with that term?
Maybe that is their TARGET customers.:D

They will sell to those folks who have "golden ears", while the rest of us laugh out loud.:D

Oh, and BTW, the Triton2's frequency response of "16Hz - 35kHz" probably translates to "36Hz - 20kHz +/-3dB @ 90dB 1w/m".:D

I think that Triton looks like a DefTech Mythos tower. I thought Gross was going to do something new & exciting, instead of copying his own design. Lame!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Hey you never know, those may just be the speakers you are looking for in your 2 ch. setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey you never know, those may just be the speakers you are looking for in your 2 ch. setup.
R---------I-----------G--------H------------T.:D

There is no way I'm buying anything that has the worlds "golden ears" in it!:D

Sounds like those "white van" speakers.:eek:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, nor should you judge speakers by their name.

J

Jason626

Enthusiast
hehe, one the first things that come to mind is James Bond movies like Golden Eye :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hehe, one the first things that come to mind is James Bond movies like Golden Eye :)
That would have been better - GoldenEye speakers.:D

Better yet, just call it "Gross & Givogue" or "G&G".:D

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Don't Judge A Book By Its Name....

Or something like that.

This does not come across as a brand that's interested in only offering high priced audio solutions. Both of their initial subwoofers are well under $1K. Their onwalls look well put together and contain interesting technology for a small price tag. I'm seriously interested in picking the line up. They have on-wall pieces with what should be a really nice finish for around $249 each as well as a larger step up for bigger systems.

Here's a link to an article with a few others pics & more pricing. The subs seem very uniquely designed. http://www.twice.com/article/457067-Golden_Ear_Ready_For_Its_Close_Up.php

Personally, I don't hate their name & I understand what they're going after, but wish they'd make the name "GET Sound" for GoldenEar Technology Sound - for example. That would be a much better name while keeping the theme the same. In fact, if we bring it on board, that's what I'll refer to it as.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
GET... Hmmm... The first thing that brings to mind is Get Smart.

I see they have a center channel with PRs. Thats kind of interesting.

J

Jason626

Enthusiast
Here we go, Golden Sound Technologies. Moto "Where sound hits a premium worth its wieght in gold".

You can use that Golden Ear, just send me a 5.1 system if you do :D call it even.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
16hz (at what level?) from two <8" (equivalent) cone drivers?? Hmmm.
The passive radiators add no more output than a port. They just do so without the possibility of chuffing and mid frequency bleed.

Just what the market desperately needs. Yet another MTM box speaker. Cool.:)

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
Folded Ribbon Tweeter

The tweeter sounds familiar, based on its description I would be inclined to call it an air transformer. It sounds like the tweeter in my ESS Heils, and if it performs like them then these could be very sweet sounding. I look forward to the reviews.

L

Leonel R.

Enthusiast
The tweeter sounds familiar, based on its description I would be inclined to call it an air transformer. It sounds like the tweeter in my ESS Heils, and if it performs like them then these could be very sweet sounding. I look forward to the reviews.
That is exactly what it is.

What erks me a little about this line is that like AccuDefTech has mentioned it is way too similar to Sandy' previous line, even down to some of the names. Similar race track drivers to Mythos with similar shapes, only difference is the Heil Air Motion Transformer which Martin Logan is now using as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Isn't one of these guys who formed Golden Ear come from Def Tech? I thought I read that a few weeks ago.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
That is exactly what it is.

What erks me a little about this line is that like AccuDefTech has mentioned it is way too similar to Sandy' previous line, even down to some of the names. Similar race track drivers to Mythos with similar shapes, only difference is the Heil Air Motion Transformer which Martin Logan is now using as well.
They are different. Some people brought this up in the AVS forum on these speakers and were roasted by Sandy Gross. He's not really a "cool" guy, but stood his ground and defended his products well.

Some Martin Logan models actually use a BG tweeter. BG is the OEM of this type of tweeter and they sell it to other manufacturers to be used in their speakers. The tweeter is phenomenal and distinctively different sounding than a traditional dome. BGs website: www.BGCorp.com.

From Martin Logan's website:

Advanced Thin-Film Drivers
Based on RADIA planar technology, high-resolution ATF™ drivers approach the clarity and detail of our electrostatic panels while permitting the use of a compact cabinet. Each MartinLogan ATF transducer has a micro-thin, low-mass diaphragm with an ultra-light, etched aluminum conductive surface, suspended between two opposite-polarity, high-field-strength neodymium magnet arrays. When the electrical audio signal from an amplifier passes through the diaphragm's surface, it creates an alternating electromagnetic field that interacts with the fields of the fixed magnet arrays, forcing it back and forth to produce sound waves in the air. The strength and polarity of the diaphragm's field varies according to the audio signal.

The "RADIA" reference is to the BG RADIA PLANAR tweeter. I think it's neat how the MLs designed for the tweeter to angle down in some of those speakers. My only criticism of that driver is it's horrid vertical dispersion, which is why BG makes a lot of line arrays - to compensate. Tremendous horizontal dispersion, terrible vertical. The sound, though, is lights out amazing and unique!

What the Golden Ear uses is different.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis