Onkyo TX-NR808 7.2 Networked A/V Receiver Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Fourth in Onkyo's refresh to its line up of receivers is the new TX-NR808 networked model, updating the TX-NR807. The TX-NR808 is a 7.2 channel receiver that features a THX Certified Select 2 Plus amplifier section capable of making 135 watts at 8 ohms over 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Although some functionality from the upper models has been removed, the TX-NR808 still represents a solid mid-range receiver packed with features.

Discuss "Onkyo TX-NR808 7.2 Networked A/V Receiver Preview" here. Read the article.

A

alte22a

Audiophyte
Hi there, I'm thinking of up grading from my SR-607 to NR-808. The reason for the Upgrade is so that I can Bi-Amp the front speakers. Currently I am running Front High speakers so Bi-amp is out of the question for my current situation, also I am running twin Subs. I've downloaded the Manual for the 808 and it says when Bi-amping the front speakers, the 808 will drive up to 5.1.

So in your up and coming review I was wondering if you could find out if its possible to run 5.2 when bi-amp plus front high speakers?

thanks

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the site. The receiver only has 7 amps so you can only do 5 + 2. The 2 being for whatever use you decide, heights OR bi-amping. To be truthful, bi-amping with a receiver is a wasted effort as there is no realized benefit.

A

alte22a

Audiophyte
Thanks AVRat,

The Bi-amping is really more for listening to music in stereo. Getting a second amp and speakers might be extravagant plus the wife may not approve. thanks for your reply.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Thanks AVRat,

The Bi-amping is really more for listening to music in stereo. Getting a second amp and speakers might be extravagant plus the wife may not approve. thanks for your reply.
Instead of Bi-Amping take a hard look at the Emotiva XPA-2 for your FL/FR channels. That will get you a lot headroom, and certainly drive your speakers with some major punch, and open up your front SoundStage Presence in Stereo mode. Ask Emotiva if they have any "B" Stock available, which will be less money. One heck of a nice Amp for the $. I have their XPA-5 and it totally rocks out, I love it with my Denon AVR. For the money it's hard to beat it, and at 75 Pounds that says "WOW" !!!

http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis