Brooklyn's Finest Blu-ray Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I came out of watching Brooklyn's Finest with just disappointment; I really expected better. It wasn't a terrible film in the least, but it wasn't memorable to me either. While entertaining, though, it falls short of a real memorable cinematic experience - and those of you who have seen and have a great affection for Antoine Fuqua's awesome Training Day will know what I am talking about almost instantly. I for one don't see repeat viewings being necessary for a permanent purchase for my own collection, and that's all I can offer from my perspective - your mileage, as always, may vary.

Discuss "Brooklyn's Finest Blu-ray Review" here. Read the article.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Anamorphic,

It is one and the same person -- that's my alias over at High Def Forum. I have begun doing reviews for Audioholics here.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Anamorphic,

It is one and the same person -- that's my alias over at High Def Forum. I have begun doing reviews for Audioholics here.
Why have an alias and not just use the same name at each site.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I appreciate any efforts to provide content for Audioholics, but I don't know if I'd say you did this review 'for' audioholics when it's just a copy.

Dupe content is about as popular with search as a piranha in a hot tub.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Why have an alias and not just use the same name at each site.
Because of problems I have had in the past with this -- there are people who actually take their responses to a reviewer's thoughts to a surprisingly frightening level.

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
Just watched this last night and I too have some mixed feelings about it. My first thought was what a pity it was that one of the best actors in the movie only has a very brief scene—Vincent D'Onofrio. This movie is a slow-burn. I don't have any problem with that if it results in some sort of combustion, "Brooklyn's Finest" is no "Taxi Driver" in that regard. As for the video quality of the disc I thought the cinematography came off well in the transfer although there were several scenes—Richard Gere's last scene with the Prostitute—that were distractingly soft focus. All in all I liked the film I don't see myself adding it to my collection. This film is a rental.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Just watched this last night and I too have some mixed feelings about it. My first thought was what a pity it was that one of the best actors in the movie only has a very brief scene—Vincent D'Onofrio. This movie is a slow-burn. I don't have any problem with that if it results in some sort of combustion, "Brooklyn's Finest" is no "Taxi Driver" in that regard. As for the video quality of the disc I thought the cinematography came off well in the transfer although there were several scenes—Richard Gere's last scene with the Prostitute—that were distractingly soft focus. All in all I liked the film I don't see myself adding it to my collection. This film is a rental.
Very well-stated xego, and thank you very much for reading the review and for your thoughts!! :)

I agree that this is merely a rental -- it had great potential what with the Brooklyn NYPD subculture and some good actors on hand, but it was indeed a slow burn as you put it. The final Gere sequence was a bit soft, and I noticed moments of this throughout as well. This was a solid BD transfer from Anchor Bay -- but not quite reference, alas this could have easily been due to photographic decisions.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just watched it last night and was really hoping it would have been better as it certainly had the potential to be so. It had some great actors, who gave great performances, but to me the story was a bit lacking. It is, as others have stated definitely worth a rental, but I don't see it being one to add to the collection.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Just watched it last night and was really hoping it would have been better as it certainly had the potential to be so. It had some great actors, who gave great performances, but to me the story was a bit lacking. It is, as others have stated definitely worth a rental, but I don't see it being one to add to the collection.
Thank you very much for your thoughts, Glocks -- indeed, the concensus happens to be that it was something everyone thought had greater potential. As I said in the review, what Fuqua was trying to do here was bring Training Day to the East Coast but it just didn't work nearly as effectively as it did on that film.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i saw this a couple weeks ago. i had no expectations for this movie, other than hoping it was entertaining. and it was.

i have TRAINING DAY in my queue. if it is better than this, i will be happy :)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
i saw this a couple weeks ago. i had no expectations for this movie, other than hoping it was entertaining. and it was.

i have TRAINING DAY in my queue. if it is better than this, i will be happy :)
Have you never seen Training Day until now?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Have you never seen Training Day until now?
nope. at least, not that i remember :eek::D. i "may" have seen it years ago.

i just watched KILL BILL & KILL BILL 2 the last 2 weeks.

i used to rent from the video store. ofter times the good movies didn't jump out at me. now that i have netflix and these forums, i can find out the good older movies and watch them for the first time.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I gotcha -- just seemed odd because it's so old! Well, not really old, but you know what I mean; but I know what you're saying as I sometimes don't get around to seeing films that were popular but a few years old...

Training Day was better -- at any rate -- than Fuqua's Brooklyn's Finest. Much better performances from Ethan Hawke and Denzel Washington (who didn't star in Brooklyn's Finest).

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

just finished watching TRAINING DAY.
maybe is was me, sometimes i have off nights watching a movie.
i feel it was about the same "goodness" as BF, not better.

sat night is MILLION DOLLAR BABY.
i am HOPING it is about as good as CINDERELLA MAN = I LOVE THAT MOVIE.
but i am expecting it will not be.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
just finished watching TRAINING DAY.
maybe is was me, sometimes i have off nights watching a movie.
i feel it was about the same "goodness" as BF, not better.

sat night is MILLION DOLLAR BABY.
i am HOPING it is about as good as CINDERELLA MAN = I LOVE THAT MOVIE.
but i am expecting it will not be.
That's surprising that you felt that way about Training Day as compared to Brooklyn's Finest; most Training Day fans think Fuqua's New York take on the corrupt cop syndrome can't hold a proverbial candle to Training...

Have you seen Iron Man 2 yet? I'll have an "official" review of the Blu-ray up soon if the ordered copy ever gets to me!

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

IM2 is in my queue. probably a few weeks for that one. but, someone is coming over with a bootleg dvd copy. that i will play just long enough to get a view, and check out the bootleg quality = probably laughable.

side note. watched KICK *** the other day. i really liked that :)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
IM2 is in my queue. probably a few weeks for that one. but, someone is coming over with a bootleg dvd copy. that i will play just long enough to get a view, and check out the bootleg quality = probably laughable.
Yeah, the image and sound are gonna suck compared to the BD's Master Audio track...

Check back in for my review of it when you get a chance. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis