Onkyo TX-NR5008 Networked AV Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Onkyo has begun refreshing its line up of receivers and at the top of the heap is the new TX-NR5008 networked model, updating the TX-NR5007. A few years back, with the advent of lossless audio formats to compliment HD video, Onkyo jumped ahead of the pack by offering a lot of functionality across its product line. Nothing as major as the introduction of Blu-ray and HD-DVD has occurred since then, but Onkyo appears to have pressed on with stuffing in as much of the available technology as the can.

Discuss "Onkyo TX-NR5008 Networked AV Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Here's to hoping Audioholics reviews one of the double ought Onkyo receivers this year.

B

Buckster

Audioholic Intern
is the 192khz/24 DACs a typo ?

in the 5007 didn't Onkyo use a 32bit DAC ?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Is it a pair of 22,000uF caps or two 11,000uF caps?

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
I have the 5007. Must say I am still impressed with it every time I watch a movie. It does one heck of a job up-scaling the Wii and other material on TV.

Just makes me a little jealous on how cheap you can get a 5007 (I was a first adopter) and more jealous that a 5008 1.4a model is out now.

oh well.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
I have the 5007. Must say I am still impressed with it every time I watch a movie. It does one heck of a job up-scaling the Wii and other material on TV.

Just makes me a little jealous on how cheap you can get a 5007 (I was a first adopter) and more jealous that a 5008 1.4a model is out now.

oh well.
Having decided NOT to go the 3D route, I am opting to get the great savings on the 5007, refurbished, at 50% off list price. It has everything I am looking for in a home theater receiver.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
is the 192khz/24 DACs a typo ?

in the 5007 didn't Onkyo use a 32bit DAC ?
I updated to 32 bit, but 32 bit is a bit of a misnomer much like a 10:0000:1 contrast ratio on a TV. Thermal noise / Johnson noise limits actual real world analog noise floors (SNR) to around 20-22 bits of resolution or 120-132 dB (6dB for every bit).

B

blydakid

Audiophyte
Onkyo lover

So, I have the Onkyo TX-DS898, it was the "best" at the time and have never been disappointed for 9 years. Still I have had recent trouble sync-ing the audio and video timing. I am at my max delay of 75ms and still have problems. I have been looking to "refresh" the reciever and this is certainly one that catches my eye. Being able to use and switch HDMI is worth it alone and the upsampling to 1080p is really jazzed! But what about audio / video timing? Will just the use of HDMI correct that or in combination with the reciever or will I still have to be adjusting regularly?

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
22,000uF seems pretty small for the capacitance of a flagship amplifier, and wasn't the Audioholics review commenting on the weakness of the Pioneer SC ICEpower amp having only 20,000uF?

Even the old mid-end Onkyo TX-SR805 had 30,000uF.

According to Audioholics competing receivers like the Z-11 has 54,000uF and the Denon 5308 has 66,000uF.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
22,000uF seems pretty small for the capacitance of a flagship amplifier, and wasn't the Audioholics review commenting on the weakness of the Pioneer SC ICEpower amp having only 20,000uF?

Even the old mid-end Onkyo TX-SR805 had 30,000uF.

According to Audioholics competing receivers like the Z-11 has 54,000uF and the Denon 5308 has 66,000uF.
Now that I think about it it pretty much has to be 22,000uF each for a total of 44,000uF. I'm not saying a 11,000uF capacitor does not exist (as I'm sure it does exist), but there's no logical reason to put one in receiver. A 10,000uF capacitor of slightly higher voltage or quality would yield the same results and cost a lot less because it's a common capacitor value for home audio. 22,000uF is also a common single capacitor value, and I'm fairly certain that audio manufacturers got away from single large capacitor amplifiers back in the 70's.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis