Yamaha RX-V667 7.2 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
From soup to nuts, we like just about everything we see with the new Yamaha RX-V667 7.2 A/V receiver. Yamaha updated their new 07 series receiver line with useful features, including the latest in 3D, while they simultaneously returned to their audio roots by offering discrete amplification (RX-V667 and above) which will improve sound quality and amplifier drive to handle a wider range of loudspeakers on the market. The RX-V667 is sure to be a hit among budget minded audiophiles and videophiles craving legitimately good performance for little out of pocket expense. Kudos to Yamaha for making it real again!

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V667 7.2 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver" here. Read the article.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
I do miss their signature frontpanel orange display found on their older models
LOL, I totally do too. My Yamaha receiver lasted a good 15 years before the amplifier crapped out. it had a red display and I was enamoured by it.

QUESTION: Is the ".2" in the "7.2" discrete left right channels? If so this Yamaha unit should be praised even more.

Glad yamaha listened to you Gene. Acting upon educated criticism is an excellent way to improve products that come our way.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
UESTION: Is the ".2" in the "7.2" discrete left right channels? If so this Yamaha unit should be praised even more.
no the .2 is dual subwoofer outputs. They are not independent of each other just paralleled connections.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Looks great. Discrete amplification, 5 lb weight increase, component upconversion, a buttload of hdmi inputs, and a gui, for only $50 more :D

I too am a fan of the orange front panel display, but it's no big deal either.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm very happy to see Yamaha making improvements instead of taking stuff away.

M

mcavl

Audiophyte
comparison

How does this Yamaha receiver compare to:

- Denon AVR-591
- Onkyo SR608

Which one would be the best buy for an afordable home theater set up?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... the lower cost and lower performing op-amp stages found on the RX-V665 and lower 05 series models.
Does that mean that the 765 had better amp stages?

I'm thrilled that Yamaha chose the high ground with this improved rec'r offering.

Not that anybody cares what I think (one particular 665 owner). :p

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Vaguely related to the topic, why aren't even numbers used for the model numbers? Anyone know?

Still rockin' my 663.

-pat

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Vaguely related to the topic, why aren't even numbers used for the model numbers? Anyone know?

Still rockin' my 663.

-pat
Because some people would shy away from the 666 model? :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well its about time.

I hope Yamaha continues in this direction in beefing up both power supples and amplifiers. I would like to start recommending Yamaha again to my friends and peers but I was unable to do so for the last two years. Now if they could only dispense with post haste with those two abysmal excuses of A/V receivers, the 1065 and the 2065.

S

sydcon

Audiophyte
Quick question re: Yamaha RX-V667 if anyone has any input. I have an installer recommending this receiver to drive 5 in-ceiling Polk Lc60i speakers. My concern is those speakers are 4-ohm speakers.

Any feedback on whether this receiver is capable of driving 4-ohm speakers?

Thanks!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I just took a look at the manual. On page 18, it says it only supports 4ohm front speakers while in 6ohm configuration (after switching from the 8ohm default). So I guess it won't work with those speakers of yours.

S

sydcon

Audiophyte
@its philip: Thanks so much for your help. That was a good catch in the manual.

My HT installer says he talked to his rep at Yamaha and they swear the receiver is more than capable of handling the Polk LC60i speakers at 4 ohms. So I'm going to give it a go and keep a close eye on heat output, etc.

Will try to post back with my results.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
You're welcome, and good luck. If they swear they'll run the 4 ohm speakers, ask them to get it in writing :D I had a friend try to run some old htib speakers (probably 3 ohm) with his onkyo tx-sr507, and it overheated and broke or something :(

A

Aporetic

Audiophyte
Audio Quality of preamp outputs?

Any information (or informed opinions) about the audio quality of the preamp outputs for this unit would be greatly appreciated. I've been using a Yamaha RX-V2600 for nearly 4 years now and I really like the power and audio quality. However, I need to upgrade the HDMI and video capabilities. I'm considering the RX-V667 almost as a preamp for the RX-V2600. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

C

CaitB

Audiophyte
Any information (or informed opinions) about the audio quality of the preamp outputs for this unit would be greatly appreciated. I've been using a Yamaha RX-V2600 for nearly 4 years now and I really like the power and audio quality. However, I need to upgrade the HDMI and video capabilities. I'm considering the RX-V667 almost as a preamp for the RX-V2600. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
I've been running to a second zone from one of the preamp outs and have absolutely no complaints about the audio quality. Or should I say the signal quality, I'm using a pretty decent set of speakers too which would show up any flaws in the signal, so all in all I'm pretty happy with mine.

C

ces001

Audiophyte
Yamaha RX-V667 with Klipsch HD500 speakers???

I am in the process of upgrading from Panasonic HTIB system to a new receiver and 5.1 speaker system. After many hours of research, I narrowed my choice down to the Yamaha RX-V667 and Klipsch HD500 speaker system. Then I saw a few posts in several forums regarding the "brightness" in the sound of this particular combination. I really have my heart set on the RX-V667, so should I research a different brand of speaker or stick with Klipsch? I also like the Def Tech Procinema 800 system as an alternative, but was hoping to keep the cost down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

M

MitchPhxAZ

Audiophyte
Im trying to make the RX 667 display video on the TV but produce non TV audio from a laptop through all zones..anyone know how to do this?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis