CEDIA Lead-Based Paint Education & Certification

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Custom Electrons Design and Installation Association (CEDIA) is offering, in cooperation with National Center for Healthy Housing (NCHH), a simple way for individuals to become educated and certified in dealing with lead paint issues according to the EPA and HUD guidelines and rules. Since lead-safe certification became required as of April 22, 2010, there is a new urgency to have companies become compliant.

Discuss "CEDIA Lead-Based Paint Education & Certification" here. Read the article.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Nothing but a huge cash grab and a new way to tell people what to do/how to do it, regardless of whether they know how to do it in the first place. For them to say that it won't significantly to the time of a job proves how clueless they are. Then, they tell us we can't add to the job's billable time for the prep, disposal, documentation and discussion with the client. They say that it shouldn't add more than about 30 minutes to a job. Right, Prep and cleanup are required to be performed every day. On a long, drawn-out project, that adds more than an hour per day. Carpeted floors are to be covered with adhesive-backed plastic, doors and windows are to be sealed, all dust is to be removed using a vacuum with a HEPA filter and any surfaces to be affected (more than 6 sq ft indoors or more than 20 sq ft outdoors) are to be tested for the presence of lead before proceeding.

I have no problem with keeping lead from affecting people but they need to know alternative methods for this. Using paste or liquid paint remover and scraping it clean is a good way. It can be sanded wet, with solvent or removed for stripping. Both are expensive and can be billed. Their way isn't supposed to cost the client much more. It's a load of crap, brought to us by people who just want to micro-manage everything.

"We're not adding taxes". Of course not. These are fees and they're completely different.

Really?

G

glparrish

Audiophyte
I had a friend, who does remodeling get busted for this!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
"Lead Paint! Delicious - but deadly!"

I nice green mint for the first person who can tell us who said that!

highfigh

highfigh

"Lead Paint! Delicious - but deadly!"

I nice green mint for the first person who can tell us who said that!
Same guy who was in "Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die" and "Gladys, the Groovy Mule".

None other than Troy McClure. A truly fine actor.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Nothing but a huge cash grab

"We're not adding taxes". Of course not. These are fees and they're completely different.

Really?
^+1 That's it.
Had a friend go through the certification, it's an absolute joke.

highfigh

highfigh

^+1 That's it.
Had a friend go through the certification, it's an absolute joke.
Did he have to pay for it, or whoever he works for? Fortunately, Wisconsin has their own version of what's necessary, but that may be due to the fact that they don't want everyone to blow it off or just leave the state.

markknick

Audiophyte
Lead Poisoning

Hey! I teach these guys, and it's usually yada-yada-yada over the fines and the second and third party lawsuits. But it isn't till these guys realize that for years they have been contaminating their children and wives by accidentally taking the lead home on their work clothes that they realize the importance of safe work practices. I've had students come back and thank me after having their children tested for lead in their blood and have them come up hot. Sad but true.

markknick

Audiophyte
Feeling a little slow? Maybe, you’re a renovator!

Lead-safe renovation training and EPA or state certification is the law. * But, there are those that say, “Not for long!” and those that say, “Government regulation is strangling construction”, and still those that say, “The science is not in yet on the dangers of lead poisoning”.* These are the common arguments used against lead-safe training and certification for Renovators of all trades.

There are rumblings that the United States Environmental Protection Agency will be dissolved due to the influence of the Tea Party.* This would occur on the premise that a free, unregulated market will naturally find the right path without government intervention.* To those that are avoiding the required Renovation, Repair, and Painting training for this reason, this is the very moment for which you argue.* 310,000 American children become lead poisoned each year.* Many due to microscopic lead paint dust left in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities by renovations. *

How do we know this?* A 1992 law, passed by congress and signed by George Herbert Walker Bush requires Doctors to report lead poisoning to local health departments.* These health departments are charged with determining what causes the lead poisoning.* Our health departments remove the poisoned children from their homes for a few weeks and test their blood for lead again.* If the blood-lead level goes down, the house is the problem.* If not, they take them out of school, and so on.* Using this method of removing poisoned children from situations and testing has proven to be very accurate.* This is how Chinese toys were found to contain lead.* Today, more than not, poisoned children come from older homes that have recently been renovated.* The science is in!

The United States of America is the only country on earth with this magnitude of childhood lead poisoning.* Why?* We painted using leaded paint 50 years longer than almost all other countries on Earth.* Most of that paint is still in place.* It’s not particularly dangerous having been painted over and over again with non-lead paint.* That is, until we arrive with our reciprocating saws, sledge hammers, drills, etc.* An amount of lead as small as the contents of one single sugar packet spread over a large area can seriously damage a child for LIFE.

A lead poisoned child has learning problems, is irritable, is more likely to drop out of school, commit crime, and is more likely to have Attention Deficit Disorder. * This is with light exposure.* Others become comatose and some die.

Lead doesn’t just affect children.* If you are a renovator or are around a renovation, you may feel a little slow.* Your memory may not be what it was.* You may make regrettable decisions without understanding why.* You may be quick tempered.* The dust you bring home may affect your wife, children and grand kids.

So, whatever your opinion of government intervention, it’s time to stop injuring our children, your children and yourself.* Get the training.* Prove the point that you don’t need regulating.* Given the facts, you will do the right thing!

By the way, the current RRP rule was promulgated and set in motion by George W. Bush, that includes the $37,500.00 fine and prison sentences for non-compliance.
Please, do the right thing for the right reasons.* Don’t make the argument that you should be allowed to damage children because . . . ** It just doesn’t make sense!

Jim Stump
800-966-9933*

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

.... But, there are those that say, “Not for long!” and those that say, “Government regulation is strangling construction”, and still those that say, “The science is not in yet on the dangers of lead poisoning”.*
... The science is in!
Thanks for your post, most interesting and sad at the same time.

Who needs science??? But, why am I not surprised. This hobby has similar folks who don't care about the sciences.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Hey! I teach these guys, and it's usually yada-yada-yada over the fines and the second and third party lawsuits. But it isn't till these guys realize that for years they have been contaminating their children and wives by accidentally taking the lead home on their work clothes that they realize the importance of safe work practices. I've had students come back and thank me after having their children tested for lead in their blood and have them come up hot. Sad but true.
Lead-safe renovation training and EPA or state certification is the law. * But, there are those that say, “Not for long!” and those that say, “Government regulation is strangling construction”, and still those that say, “The science is not in yet on the dangers of lead poisoning”.* These are the common arguments used against lead-safe training and certification for Renovators of all trades.

There are rumblings that the United States Environmental Protection Agency will be dissolved due to the influence of the Tea Party.* This would occur on the premise that a free, unregulated market will naturally find the right path without government intervention.* To those that are avoiding the required Renovation, Repair, and Painting training for this reason, this is the very moment for which you argue.* 310,000 American children become lead poisoned each year.* Many due to microscopic lead paint dust left in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities by renovations. *

How do we know this?* A 1992 law, passed by congress and signed by George Herbert Walker Bush requires Doctors to report lead poisoning to local health departments.* These health departments are charged with determining what causes the lead poisoning.* Our health departments remove the poisoned children from their homes for a few weeks and test their blood for lead again.* If the blood-lead level goes down, the house is the problem.* If not, they take them out of school, and so on.* Using this method of removing poisoned children from situations and testing has proven to be very accurate.* This is how Chinese toys were found to contain lead.* Today, more than not, poisoned children come from older homes that have recently been renovated.* The science is in!

The United States of America is the only country on earth with this magnitude of childhood lead poisoning.* Why?* We painted using leaded paint 50 years longer than almost all other countries on Earth.* Most of that paint is still in place.* It’s not particularly dangerous having been painted over and over again with non-lead paint.* That is, until we arrive with our reciprocating saws, sledge hammers, drills, etc.* An amount of lead as small as the contents of one single sugar packet spread over a large area can seriously damage a child for LIFE.

A lead poisoned child has learning problems, is irritable, is more likely to drop out of school, commit crime, and is more likely to have Attention Deficit Disorder. * This is with light exposure.* Others become comatose and some die.

Lead doesn’t just affect children.* If you are a renovator or are around a renovation, you may feel a little slow.* Your memory may not be what it was.* You may make regrettable decisions without understanding why.* You may be quick tempered.* The dust you bring home may affect your wife, children and grand kids.

So, whatever your opinion of government intervention, it’s time to stop injuring our children, your children and yourself.* Get the training.* Prove the point that you don’t need regulating.* Given the facts, you will do the right thing!

By the way, the current RRP rule was promulgated and set in motion by George W. Bush, that includes the $37,500.00 fine and prison sentences for non-compliance.
Please, do the right thing for the right reasons.* Don’t make the argument that you should be allowed to damage children because . . . ** It just doesn’t make sense!

Jim Stump
800-966-9933*
Here's my problem with it all... If it was truely about caring and making up for past usage of something harmful, the GOV wouldn't be charging so much. A buddy of mine is a GC and he just spent $100 on a class and then had to buy a crazy expensive vacuum at the end of it. This totally reminds me of the E-Check BS we used to have to go through. I swear it's like someone in the maffia just sits around dreaming up stuff to make politicians charge people money for.

$100 a person for a class of 20 people? That's $2,000 PER CLASS. Does that all go to the instructor? Does it get split between the instructors and the people administrating the instructors? How many "jobs" does that create and does it keep them employed after the classes are done? The vacuum was crazy expensive, like $300-$400 bucks!

It's all BS to me.

Besides that, we don't cut more than 6' square on the avg. install and if we do, my buddy who took the classes comes in for a small charge to "certify" the project. It doesn't really bother me a whole lot except for the principle of it all.

Oh, and keep taxing those small-medium buisinesses! "Please, keep our children safe. Oh, and we're going to need you to go ahead and feed them and put them through school too."

Give me a break :rolleyes:.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis