Mac Mini Wants a Spot in Your Home Theater

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Apple’s new toy has an HDMI port and Wireless N so it can stream HD video like nobody’s business. The Mac Mini behaves as though it wants a place alongside your home theater System. Its silent running, diminutive brushed aluminum form-factor makes it a stylish addition to any AV rig. But it’s not without problems – a $699 price tag isn’t the only hurdle you’ll negotiate to get yourself into the brand new Mac Mini.

Discuss "Mac Mini Wants a Spot in Your Home Theater" here. Read the article.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
finally. into the 90's.

hated that mini DVI connection.

before, you'd need to buy the mini DVI to DVI and DVI to HDMI adapters

HDMI port supports multichannel audio output
nice

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I like it. Might have to take a pretty serious look at it.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since they jumped on the hdmi bandwagon, i hope they jump on the blu-ray band wagon soon :D

M

Michael

Enthusiast
Why do you need that noise component such as blu-ray?
blu-ray is streamed as anything else..

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Why do you need that noise component such as blu-ray?
blu-ray is streamed as anything else..
I'm not sure what you mean by Blu-ray being streamed.

Today, blu-ray is the one way to be consistently guaranteed the highest possible quality audio and video when you watch movies.

Theoretically digital downloads and streams could potentially be as good.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Apple really is not touting it as a HTPC, but rather a souped up mac mini with some new features. As far as that goes it looks like a nice mini. I am tempted to get one to replace my macbook that I use as a desktop anyway. My son is still using my Old G4 tower and it has long since outlived itself, and he wants a laptop.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Apple really is not touting it as a HTPC, but rather a souped up mac mini with some new features. As far as that goes it looks like a nice mini. I am tempted to get one to replace my macbook that I use as a desktop anyway. My son is still using my Old G4 tower and it has long since outlived itself, and he wants a laptop.
For once in blue moon I fully agree with Jeff's opinion about mac computer :D
Without proper software (like Plex/Boxee) and remote control support, htpc capabilities of Mac mini remain limited to small circuit of nerds like me :p

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
For once in blue moon I fully agree with Jeff's opinion about mac computer :D
Without proper software (like Plex/Boxee) and remote control support, htpc capabilities of Mac mini remain limited to small circuit of nerds like me :p
Did they drop the remote support for this new mini? My Dad's mini has a remote and so does my macbook. That would be really a dumb move, but I don't see it listed as included.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Did they drop the remote support for this new mini? My Dad's mini has a remote and so does my macbook. That would be really a dumb move, but I don't see it listed as included.
Now it's $20 option. But I wasn't talking about apple remote - I don't want a million remotes in my living room and my htpc is controlled by same universal remote.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Now it's $20 option. But I wasn't talking about apple remote - I don't want a million remotes in my living room and my htpc is controlled by same universal remote.
Jeesh:rolleyes: Hopefully if anyone uses it with a remote they will be able to program by a code and not have to spend the $ for the apple remote.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Agree Jeff. I'm just seeing it as a move in that direction with HDMI, that's all.
Maybe, they might be testing the waters. Not adding blu-ray as at least an option is kinda short sighted to say the least though.

Hey what the hell is this, I am ragging on Apple. Good grief I must be drunk:) Actually I have several beefs with Apples hardware. However, most of their software and of course their OS is great stuff.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Jeesh:rolleyes: Hopefully if anyone uses it with a remote they will be able to program by a code and not have to spend the $ for the apple remote.
Well, I was about to come back with snarky reply about how Apple remote is using proprietary RF protocol, but I checked before posting such remark, and thou I held it myself - I guess I wasn't paying attention....

Since it is IR - harmony and other universal remotes should be able to replace it as Jeff said...
:eek:

Thou I still don't consider FrontRow (without addons) to be adequate HTPC replacement.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I was about to come back with snarky reply about how Apple remote is using proprietary RF protocol, but I checked before posting such remark, and thou I held it myself - I guess I wasn't paying attention....

Since it is IR - harmony and other universal remotes should be able to replace it as Jeff said...
:eek:

Thou I still don't consider FrontRow (without addons) to be adequate HTPC replacement.
Yeah Front Row looks like the default interface of my NMT's. Yuck.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I don't mind Front Row for listening to music, but that is all I have ever used it for.

malachi0420

malachi0420

Enthusiast
You could just build yourself a nice HTPC, that would be cheaper and faster all the way round!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis