Denon DBP-1611UD Universal Blu Player First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Denon DBP-1611UD is the new entry level Blu-ray player from the electronics giant. At $399, not only is it a full universal player, but it is 3D ready with a planned fall update. The Denon DBP-1611UD will be DLNA 1.5 certified, has DivX HD playback capability, and streams Netflix and YouTube. Plus, we do a full comparison to the player we were all talking about before this week - the Oppo BDP-83.

Discuss "Denon DBP-1611UD Universal Blu Player First Look" here. Read the article.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I was really waiting on Oppo to issue a FW update so I could stream Netflix, but alas nothing yet. This Denon fits the bill perfectly.

J

jtokach

Audiophyte
Denon has notorious networking problems with its current line of receivers and a history of denying a problem exists. It wouldn’t be wise to be an early adopter with that track record. I’m sure Oppo’s not going to take this lying down.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Um, and doesn't the Oppo BDP-80 still come in at a price that's better than the Denon unit by about $110?

Sure, the Oppo's don't provide 3D, but that's because they're at least a year old or so. Okay, maybe not the BDP-80, but its release pre-dates HDMI 1.4 or 1.4a.

And given that most new televisions coming out also will be able to stream Netflix and other internet apps, does it make sense for every device in your home theater to have this capability?

Last edited:
N

nickboros

Audioholic
The Denon offers streaming and a cheaper price than the Oppo bdp83. But, I'm sure that the $399 Denon can't compete with the Oppo in upconversion. The Oppo player is at the level of the flagship Denon player in terms of upconversion and most other things.

As cwall99 mentioned, you can get the Oppo BDP-80 for $100 cheaper than the $399 Denon. Take that $100 and get a Roku box, or something else to get you Netflix if that is important to you. You might still be ahead of the Denon in terms of upconversion this route.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Can you stick a USB key with FLAC files on it into the Denon or Oppo and play them?

How are the loading times on the Denon? The higher end Denon blu-rays I've used have been extremely slow, has this been fixed?

Thanks for the first look, it looks like a really nice universal player. Can't wait for the full review!

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Can you stick a USB key with FLAC files on it into the Denon or Oppo and play them?
My Oppo (a DV-980H, not one of the models under discussion as a BDP) won't play FLAC files (it will play MP3s and WAVs - haven't tried other formats). Don't know about the BDP-83 or 80 (though a quick scan of the PDF of the owner's manual did not turn up any hits when I searched it for the term "FLAC").

Todd Sauve

Todd Sauve

Audiophyte
My Oppo 80 DOES play DivX HD, so why does the article claim that the Oppo 83 DOESN'T? As far as I know it does!

Also, the Oppo 80 is LESS expensive by about $110!

Does this writer even know what he's talking about??? :rolleyes::confused::eek:

F

fabajian

Audiophyte
Denon Is Missing An Opportunity

With all the good press on Denon's DBP-1611UD, does anyone know why retailers aren't taking "Pre-Orders?" In this tough business climate,:confused: smart cross marketing would generate some sales.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon has notorious networking problems with its current line of receivers and a history of denying a problem exists. It wouldn’t be wise to be an early adopter with that track record. I’m sure Oppo’s not going to take this lying down.
That's interesting, my 4308 has 0 networking problem.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It does seem like for someone who does not care about 3D and Netflix, the Oppo 80 is a better deal. On the other hand for people who must have 3D or Netflix and don't believe in the upscaling hype, the Denon could be a good alternative.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I missed this one.

For $399 (low as $379 street price) you get

1) pretty Denon aesthetics (instead of that Oppo look which I'm not a fan of)

2) Netflix streaming

3) USB music streaming

4) DSD SACD, DVD-A, & CD via HDMI

5) Blu-ray

6) HDMI 1.4a for 3D ready

No competition in my book.

I believe I will be buying one.:D

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
I'm sticking with the Oppo. It has more of what I am looking for. Multichannel analog and Anchor Bay processing.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Thinking about Xmas

Probably going to get a BR player for Xmas. I was almost settled on the Oppo BD83 but not having Netflix bothered me. The I read about the Denon and it sounded like my solution. But I saw it does not have 7.1 analog outs. I have a dated Yamaha (rx-v659) that I use as a pre/pro and I will need the outs for the newer audio formats. Now I'm back to the Oppo but to go wireless I'll need their adapter ($79) and a Roku box ($100) for Netflix. I saw a Panasonic that seems to have everything I need but only costs $180. What am I trading off?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis