Avatar Blu-ray Highlights DRM Troubles

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Unobtanium hording N’avi from James Cameron’s Avatar have defeated the Dark Knight in Blu-ray sales. Avatar sold 1.5 million copies, more than doubling the first-day tally of Chris Nolan’s second Batman flick on Blu-ray. But the record sales of Avatar opened a veritable Pandora’s box as a record number of consumers get a bitter taste of digital media’s dark side – Digital Rights Management (DRM).

Discuss "Avatar Blu-ray Highlights DRM Troubles" here. Read the article.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
link doesn't work

what are those goofy fonts ?

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
Holy Chit Batman, DRM has taken over Audioholics!!:eek: Can't access the article!!:mad:

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Lame

Big brother solutions causing problems for those who obey the rules? Come on, that never happens.

/sarc off

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Guess those big corporate evil doers aren't really at war with harmless giant Smurfs. Their at war with their own consumers. Why can't they simply embrace technology and make their product more convenient instead of more of a hassle?

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
I was just being sarcastic in my #5. The following just isn't right. :eek:

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
I bought an Oppo BDP-83 primarily for its' ability to play SACD & DVD-Audio via digital connection, and the Blu-Ray ability is just a bonus. I just bought my first Blu-Ray disc(a music concert title), and fortunately it plays(and looks great), but the conduct of Blu-Ray's big brotherish backers has me questioning to what extent I should support the Blu-Ray format.
Reported Blu-Ray disc compatability issues(due to frequent changes to Blu-Ray's encryption system), and the Blu-Ray patent holders' plan to ban or downrez component video outputs on future Blu-Ray players(though I use HDMI connection, and won't be affected), leads me to this conclusion: The entertainment and electronics moguls aren't going to stop professional counterfeiters. They're only victimising the people who merely want to play the discs. The people who get their new disc home and find that it is unplayable are unlikely to buy more discs, so the moguls are doing themselves no favors. All this anti-copy technology is largely to stop copying to a type of recorder(stand-alone Blu-Ray disc recorder) that North American & European consumers will probably never be permitted to purchase.
The actions of the Blu-Ray software & hardware backers need to be regulated by Congress.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Wait till the screw up a Firmware release that bricks the players. It will happen.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I am the only person I know tht has no intrest in this movie anyway but i am sure that it will get me sooner or later. and that one fella is right, one of these updats will brick a player then you are out the player and the blu-ray

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
I am the only person I know tht has no intrest in this movie anyway but i am sure that it will get me sooner or later. and that one fella is right, one of these updats will brick a player then you are out the player and the blu-ray
Can I join your club. I'm not interested neither. My wife is a different story; but as for me, I could care less to see Cameron's Avatar. Now Shamyalan's Avatar: The Last airbender I'm looking foward to see.

I've got expectations. Don't disappoint me M. Night. :)

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Phil #7

The actions of the Blu-Ray software & hardware backers need to be regulated by Congress.
That'll be like putting out a forest fire by dropping a nuclear bomb on it. The best thing to do is to not buy a product you don't like. As for me, I'd demand a refund for Avatar after discovering I couldn't play it on my Blue Ray. If I can't get a refund, then an in-store credit will do; just so long as the movie is registered as a return. I'd also write the manufacturer expressing my disatisfaction.

This all may be tedious and will probably not result with exactly what you want until a lot of people refuse to pay for a product. That I think is due in part because corporate execs act like elitists. That's bad but wait until you get a load of Congressional elitism. No thanks. :cool:

T

Techlord

Audioholic
Wait till the screw up a Firmware release that bricks the players. It will happen.
Even then it will be the manufacturer's losing millions of dollars on bricked Blu-ray players and not the studios! If only we lived in a world where the consumers choose which format will survive and which will die out, we would then have all the power! “Group mentality” is an issue that has plagued people for ages, as it questions how much control people really have over their actions.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I love Blu-ray, personally. It's the most consistly best possible, legal a/v quality for your home movie watching.

I hate to bring it up and no I'm not looking to ressurect old arguments but...

Blu-ray wasn't my first choice back in the days of the 'format war' simply because it was going to be DRM'ed to the tits (and it wasn't finished - profile 2.0 at that time). These problems were quite predictable.

Letting a film studio design your disc format is like taking investment advice from a bank.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I like higher definition formats and codecs. What I don't care for is being treated like a criminal.

It doesn't matter. The protection is broken on Blu-Ray. They pirates haven't been stopped. They haven't been able to stop savvy U.S. consumers from practicing fair use. Only thing they managed to do is frustrate the non-technical buying public. Ironic.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
The Blu-Ray backers & the movie industry in general seem to have adopted the same disasterous strategies as the music industry: Let's see how many anti-consumer scams that we can get away with before the public turns on us and stops buying discs. Such policies are negative, and for these industries, self-destructive. And none of them will stop disc counterfeiting. There's no substitute for treating the consumer in a spirit of fairness. The music & movie industries keep running from that idea.

M

Merblich

Audiophyte
Sony BDP-S1 also doesn't work

This will be my LAST Blu-Ray bought.

Each time it takes 1 month or more to get a firmware updates
because Sony doesn't support the Apple OS.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Then, it's fortunate that I bought an Oppo. Oppo's firmware updates can be burned to CD on a MAC. There's been two in the approximately 7 weeks I've owned the player.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't have a problem with this one in my Oppo or PS3.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis