OLET May Render OLED Obsolete

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Still holding out on plopping down two grand for a sweet 11†OLED Worried about the pace of OLED development now that major commercial players like Sony are dropping out of the picture? Get ready to keep holding your breath for a new hope: the Organic Light Emitting Transistor.

Discuss "OLET May Render OLED Obsolete" here. Read the article.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's extremely cool, but if OLED is an infant technology, then this one still is swimming down and looking for an egg. Meanwhile, we have these plasmas and LCDs getting thinner and thinner with prices that keep dropping.

The only demand for this stuff may be by us videophiles who really do want the true blacks that CRT gave us for years, with the thinness that current generation displays offer. Which won't really help that product to compete on the residential level.

Space program type stuff or military where every ounce counts against performance may be happy to drop $100,000 for this stuff and I'm sure that it'll be driven forward by that type of money.

It certainly will be interesting to see what transpires for both OLET and OLED in the next ten years, but I think that is also a realistic timeframe. Ten years, minimum.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Yea, I think after manufactuers run out of "features" to sell more sets (600Hz, 3D, ultra-thin, ect.), they'll need a new technology to sell that simply offers a vastly superior picture.

Unless a miracle happens, it sounds like it'll take quite a few years.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They can still extend current technologies with 1440p. LCD is becoming inexpensive already, so there is plenty of life in it. The next tech will need to be less expensive to produce to make it viable for manufacturers to switch. OLED has been around for a LONG time already and it still isn't cost effective. OLET probably won't be consumer viable anytime soon either, just like SET.

R

roshi

Audioholic
You guys should take a look at "quantum dots" technology. There seem to be a lot of different ideas for new display technology.... Here is an article.

Either way I agree, it will be a couple of years until we see affordable TV's using any of these technologies....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This sounds very promising and based on its description, the black levels would be simply amazing. Because this an active device and not a passive device like a diode, I feel that the growth on this will surpass the OLED in short order. There's simply more you can do with active devices as opposed to passive devices. My 2 cents worth :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis