Denon AVR-591 Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Denon AVR-591 builds nicely on the AVR-391 platform. Four HDMI 1.4a inputs, 120 watts per channel, preouts for surround back/Dolby PLIIz height channels, HDMI video upconversion, Audio Return Channel, and Audyssey MultiEQ really rounds out this receiver. Is that enough upgrades to shell out an extra $100 over the $250 AVR-391? We think so. Denon's AVR-591 might not be as overstuffed as the AVR-391, but the feature set is absolutely great.

Discuss "Denon AVR-591 Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
The part about this Denon being the first at this price point to have Audyssey MultiEq, Dynamic Vol, and Dynamic Eq is not correct. The AVR-590 and AVR-589 from the previous two years also had these features.

That said, it is a nice feature to have on a lower price range product.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
"For the first time in the line, the AVR-591 overlays an on-screen display over HDMI"

Another correction. The 590 displays the OSD over HDMI on all sources and will also overlay the OSD via the HDMI out if the source uses composite in.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Help for a stereo (2-channel) guy please.

Can someone help me understand how this 5 channel receiver compares or contrasts (sounds like a school assignment) to Denon's 2 channel Stereos.

If you put them both in the 8 ohm catagory, I'm guessing they are both about 100 watts per channel

This new reciever is giving you all these video options, and an extra couple channels if you're a stereo guy who may want to someday add surrounds for movies... This new reciever is less in price than denon's 2 channel reciever.

Why? - Is the 2 channel (DRA-697) trading video features for much better quality in it's mere two channels? - Or is it just marketing setting price points in different places based on the audience?

Thanks!

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Help for a stereo (2-channel) guy please.

Can someone help me understand how this 5 channel receiver compares or contrasts (sounds like a school assignment) to Denon's 2 channel Stereos.

If you put them both in the 8 ohm catagory, I'm guessing they are both about 100 watts per channel

This new reciever is giving you all these video options, and an extra couple channels if you're a stereo guy who may want to someday add surrounds for movies... This new reciever is less in price than denon's 2 channel reciever.

Why? - Is the 2 channel (DRA-697) trading video features for much better quality in it's mere two channels? - Or is it just marketing setting price points in different places based on the audience?

Thanks!
IMO, you probably wouldn't notice any difference in the sound except if you engage the Audyssey MultEQ which will affect the sound. I personally would have no issue using this receiver for 2-channel especially if I thought I'd go full HT later.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
thanks - I'll also be particually interested to see where Denon chooses to add pre-outs in this new product line.

In the past, pre-outs unfortionately only seem to be in higher-end recievers, not the lower end versions with lower power where adding an amp in the future (or utalizing one that someone already has) makes a whole lot of sense!

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
My favourite part was the "Conlcusion".

Microsoft word doesn't catch everything Tom.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Sounds very nice. Does Denon ever exaggerate their amp section?

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Sounds very nice. Does Denon ever exaggerate their amp section?
My understanding is that it's traditionally a very real, honest number. Even when I wasn't too into audio, I know that you could often trust a "lower" denon number to be more powerful than someone else's fudged wattage number.

However, I'm dissapointed to see them starting to play a silly game listing the power in 6 ohms.

What will they do when brand x responds by also listing power in 6 ohms, start listing wattage into 4 ohms? stupid.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
My understanding is that it's traditionally a very real, honest number. Even when I wasn't too into audio, I know that you could often trust a "lower" denon number to be more powerful than someone else's fudged wattage number.

However, I'm dissapointed to see them starting to play a silly game listing the power in 6 ohms.

What will they do when brand x responds by also listing power in 6 ohms, start listing wattage into 4 ohms? stupid.
Good point.

The actual power output is 75watts x 5 into 8 ohms.

SimonReidy

SimonReidy

Audiophyte
Video Processing

Does anyone know what video processing the AVR-591 uses? I'm presuming it's something like Anchor Bay or HQV but I couldn't find any reference to it here or on the Denon website.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Look at the specs for the 590. There essentially the same unit. They don't do processing. You have to step up to the 1910/1909

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic

I don't think these low-end receivers are, or will ever be capable of driving 4 ohms speakers.

Maybe Denon will also list 8 ohm performance on final specs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis