Denon AVR-391 Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Denon AVR-391 comes in at a price point that we've never seen from the electronics giant - $249. The new AVR-391 sports four HDMI 1.4a inputs, discrete amplifiers, and HD audio decoding. Also Denon has included two addition preouts for Surround Back channels or for Dolby ProLogic IIz decoding. That a lot for only $250.

Discuss "Denon AVR-391 Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
This is the budget receiver to beat IMO. It also includes Audyssey MultEQ, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume. Onkyo is a close runner-up in my eyes, but only uses 2EQ at these price points.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The 391 is loaded with features, its limitation is its power output. The lower cost Denon AVRs have suffered from weak power supplies in their last 2 generations and the 391 most likely follows suit.

Great price-point...
If the room is small while the volume levels are kept low and high sensitivity loudspeakers are used all should be fine...

Just my $0.01.. ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder what the differences are between the AVR-591 and AVR-391. They appear to have basically all the same features and are rated to have the same output power. What makes the AVR-591 worth $100 more? There appear to be some cosmetic differences on the front panel. From what I'm reading they have similar input schemes, if not identical.

What gives?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The 391 is loaded with features, its limitation is its power output. The lower cost Denon AVRs have suffered from weak power supplies in their last 2 generations and the 391 most likely follows suit.

Great price-point...
If the room is small while the volume levels are kept low and high sensitivity loudspeakers are used all should be fine...

Just my $0.01.. ;)
It's still heftier than other receivers in it's price range.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I wonder what the differences are between the AVR-591 and AVR-391. They appear to have basically all the same features and are rated to have the same output power. What makes the AVR-591 worth $100 more? There appear to be some cosmetic differences on the front panel. From what I'm reading they have similar input schemes, if not identical.

What gives?
It could be creature comforts like analog input transcoding and maybe some basic zone 2 support. We'll have to wait til Denon releases more info to know for sure. IMO the 391 blows all the other budget offerings out of the water, and could even compete with some second-tier models if it's as good as it looks right now.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic

Great price-point...

Just my $0.01.. ;)
My parents use a 590 for their relatively large, open living room. They don't play it at reference, but it drives their Polks plenty loud. Like Seth said, even the bottom Denons have solid heft compared to other makes (cough *Pioneer* cough). Yeah, you're not going to drive 4 ohm, 85 dB sensitive speakers with this thing but that's not the target market. IMO the features included are excellent and really the only ones that most people use frequently anyways.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
It's still heftier than other receivers in it's price range.
The 391 is based on Best Buy's Insignia R5101HD which are both built @ the Inkel's (Sherwood) Shenzen China joint venture.

Great features and price point, it will be available on the Internet @ < $199. Denon will only sell this model to distributors/dealers who carry their full line.
As mentioned previously this is Denon's AVR face-off to price-compete with Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer for market share.

Essentially no-profit for the seller but fantastic for the consumer, especially those on a tite budget..

Just my $0.01.. ;)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja

Great price-point...

Just my $0.01.. ;)
Not sure about that. The entry level model last year (590/1610) had a power consumption of 4.3A easily besting its competitors (except maybe HK) in terms of power.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Not sure about that. The entry level model last year (590/1610) had a power consumption of 4.3A easily besting its competitors (except maybe HK) in terms of power.
I am sure..
As I measured its actual power output, with 1 or 2 channels driven it is OK.
The problem is when more channels are driven the power supply collapses..
Note that the other entry-level AVRs from Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha also do the same..
To meet the costs, the power transformer is sized down significantly..

Just my $0.01.. ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It seems that the Insignia R5101HD is very disimilar in layout from the Denon AVR-391 in both connectivity and controls. Denon's case work is also dimensionally different. The display quality on the Denon far surpasses the Insignia (Sherwood) receiver as well. Naturally the AVR-391 has a different motivation and design intent including the addition of HDMI 1.4a and an additional HDMI input. The Denon has significantly less analog type connections as well. The Denon also has a more sophisticated auto calibration.

I don't doubt they are based on the same platform, but I believe that platform is mostly the amplifier section on the Denon receivers, the rest seems to be by their design. The entry level Pioneer receivers have much more in common with the Sherwood brand receivers.

B1-66ER

B1-66ER

Audioholic Intern
391 with Klipsch = WIN

If I was one of the big chains, I'd pair this with some bottom line, even mid line Klipsch speakers. Klipsch is known for hi efficiency, and while not the most accurate, I've never seen/heard a set to not thrill with lower power setups. At this price it makes me wonder how cheap the 791 and 891 would be. We really are getting bang for buck with these receivers. Time for me to look at getting rid of my 1601 (yes, 1601) for something new!

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Denon

Their units look like the best bet at this point in the low range....

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic
The Denon AVR-391 comes in at a price point that we've never seen from the electronics giant - $249. The new AVR-391 sports four HDMI 1.4a inputs, discrete amplifiers, and HD audio decoding. Also Denon has included two addition preouts for Surround Back channels or for Dolby ProLogic IIz decoding. That a lot for only $250.

Discuss "Denon AVR-391 Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

This is exactly what I would get IF Denon like Yamaha like everyone that I am aware of would simply install front LF & RF preouts on the receiver. Without that one thing, I am simply not interested. I am still considering the UMC-1 once Loser reports back on his upgrades.

Last edited:

nateandrews6

Audiophyte
satisfying AVR-391

i have a pair of 260 watt technics.at 0 db,it sufficiently rattles the house.for the size output of the receiver,i am very satisfied.i have not hooked it up to surround yet.i need to get a center sub,before i do so.i've seen a few comments of being let down because of power drain.due to adding surround.my own experience,add a pre amped sub, or go buy a larger receiver.the ones that have $1000 price tag on receiver alone:cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis