Integra DTA-70.1 THX Certified Amplifier First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
While speakers, receivers, and transports come and go, a good amp is virtually forever. With 150 watts of power for nine channels, and outstanding build quality, the Integra DTA-70.1 certainly looks good to us. When you consider that the Integra DTA-70.1 has received THX's Ultra2 rating, its a sure bet there are loyal Integra/Onkyo fans that can't wait to get their hands (and ears) on this 50 lbs beast.

Discuss "Integra DTA-70.1 THX Certified Amplifier First Look" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's a nice looking amp... hope Audioholics gets to review one, I'd like to see how it compares to the offerings from Emotiva.

Kennydee

Kennydee

Junior Audioholic
Tel me if I'm wrong but these specs look very close to Onkyo's TX-NR5007 right?

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
The one thing I love about the back panel is the speaker terminals are in a realistic order. Should help decently with wire management.

Kennydee

Kennydee

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, my message was in reply to eugovector.

Hi eugovector,
Yes I know, i'm refering to the amp specs of the TX-NR5007. I had a look at them and they are very similar other than a slight difference in wattage (150 compared to 145)

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Sweet

Balanced inputs and 150 wpc and excellenc SNR and looks nice- This looks like a nice amp!

P

pnutbutter81

Enthusiast
Can anyone provide some comparisons on how components and performance are different in this to an emotiva amp? However, I don't know an emotiva that sports 9 channels. But componentwise maybe their is a good comparison...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The layout of the internals isn't too dissimilar from an current Onkyo/Integra TOTL receiver. Since the TX-SR805 Onkyo has proved you can fit separates performance into one package. Those receivers already come close to surpassing the limits of older 15 amp breakers (20 seems to be the standard now). I find it hard to imagine squeezing much more useful power output using the same design on a single 20 amp circuit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can anyone provide some comparisons on how components and performance are different in this to an emotiva amp? However, I don't know an emotiva that sports 9 channels. But componentwise maybe their is a good comparison...
The Integra you can see has IC output devices. It is basically a receiver amp stage in one case.

The Emotiva amp uses four discrete output devices per channel. So the Emotiva by rights should work much harder longer.

Take your poison, but I would give the Integra a wide berth. It does not excite me at all.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Integra you can see has IC output devices. It is basically a receiver amp stage in one case.

The Emotiva amp uses four discrete output devices per channel. So the Emotiva by rights should work much harder longer.

Take your poison, but I would give the Integra a wide berth. It does not excite me at all.
I am thinking the Integra uses at least 4 discrete output devices per channel. The Onkyo TX-SR805 (a receiver) uses 4 discrete output devices per channel.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am thinking the Integra uses at least 4 discrete output devices per channel. The Onkyo TX-SR805 (a receiver) uses 4 discrete output devices per channel.
We will have to see the picture, but the look like either very small devices or ICs to me. The heat sink looks very small for that much power.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
We will have to see the picture, but the look like either very small devices or ICs to me. The heat sink looks very small for that much power.
I'm not sure where you are seeing ICs (ICs are typically large anyway) but the finals on that Integra amplifier are definitely discrete. You have to remember that the amplifier is quite tall and that the space between the cooling fins on the heatsink are pretty close together giving it a respectable surface area. Onkyo/Integra stuff has been doing quite well on the bench lately. I'm not saying I'm interested in the amplifier personally, but it looks fairly stout to me.

Edit: Onkyo/Integra has been using a three stage inverted Darlington circuit on their higher model receivers and amplifiers for some time now. The disadvantage is heat, but they are extremely linear and work best with a low impedance. It's no wonder that virtually every receiver that Onkyo has that has this triple stage inverted Darlington configuration has THX Ultra 2 certification. Reading the published 3rd party measurements of some of these receivers confirms they deliver massive amounts of power into 4 ohm loads and they often times keep going down lower.

TX-SR805

And I was incorrect, the TX-SR805 has two output devices per channel.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm not sure where you are seeing ICs (ICs are typically large anyway) but the finals on that Integra amplifier are definitely discrete. You have to remember that the amplifier is quite tall and that the space between the cooling fins on the heatsink are pretty close together giving it a respectable surface area. Onkyo/Integra stuff has been doing quite well on the bench lately. I'm not saying I'm interested in the amplifier personally, but it looks fairly stout to me.

Edit: Onkyo/Integra has been using a three stage inverted Darlington circuit on their higher model receivers and amplifiers for some time now. The disadvantage is heat, but they are extremely linear and work best with a low impedance. It's no wonder that virtually every receiver that Onkyo has that has this triple stage inverted Darlington configuration has THX Ultra 2 certification. Reading the published 3rd party measurements of some of these receivers confirms they deliver massive amounts of power into 4 ohm loads and they often times keep going down lower.

TX-SR805

And I was incorrect, the TX-SR805 has two output devices per channel.
If that amp has that configuration it would take 6 output devices per channel.

An inverted triple Darlington is a very robust output stage.

The Quad 303 introduced 1969 I believe was the first to use this. Most are still going strong, and have never failed after 40 or so years of use.

Here is a modern version from Marshall Leech.

Proper execution would not come cheap.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Unless Onkyo is lying about it, they are using the three stage inverted Darlington circuit as they state on their site.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've been informed that the TX-SR805 does in fact have 4 transistors per channel, which was what I had previously thought when I looked down inside one when the unit was being sold at Circuit City. The second full row of 14 transistors is not readily visible and would require lots of light and use of macro on a good camera to identify for examination purposes.

The three stage inverted Darlington circuit does not necessitate a particular amount of transistors, it is how they are configured that is important.

Please read here - http://www.audiodesignguide.com/doc/onkyo_nonnfb.html

That should basically tell you anything you need to know about how Onkyo is making their amp sections in the mid to high level receivers and amplifiers. I am still uncertain of how many transitors are in the new Integra DTA-70.1, I'm being told there are two large transitors dedicated to each channel, however I will wait and see what more prodding into the product will reveal.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've been informed that the TX-SR805 does in fact have 4 transistors per channel, which was what I had previously thought when I looked down inside one when the unit was being sold at Circuit City. The second full row of 14 transistors is not readily visible and would require lots of light and use of macro on a good camera to identify for examination purposes.

The three stage inverted Darlington circuit does not necessitate a particular amount of transistors, it is how they are configured that is important.

Please read here - http://www.audiodesignguide.com/doc/onkyo_nonnfb.html

That should basically tell you anything you need to know about how Onkyo is making their amp sections in the mid to high level receivers and amplifiers. I am still uncertain of how many transitors are in the new Integra DTA-70.1, I'm being told there are two large transitors dedicated to each channel, however I will wait and see what more prodding into the product will reveal.
I see there are now a lot of dual Darlington devices now. Even though IC they have high current capability. You do meed six transistors to make a triple Darlington output stage, but if you use two doubles and to singles you can do it with four devices.

I suspect this new generation of devices, is why this topography is becoming all the rage again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis