Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Onkyo has long been known as a feature leader in the receiver department. They certainly are looking to maintain that reputation with the TX-SR608. If you are looking for all the latest audio features including Burr-Brown DACs, Dolby ProLogic IIz, many of the latest Audyssey features including DSX, and dual subwoofer outputs plus 1080p video upconversion and THX Select2 Plus certification, the Onkyo TX-SR608 has what you need.

Discuss "Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm surprised to see no analong inputs or preamp outputs, and who really wants a vga input on their receiver? I guess it's ok, but I'd pass on that receiver.

M

Michael

Enthusiast
I'm surprised to see no analong inputs or preamp outputs, and who really wants a vga input on their receiver? I guess it's ok, but I'd pass on that receiver.
1) There are analog inputs
2) Why do you need preamp outputs?
3) VGA Input? Every PC today comes with HDMI..

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i couldn't use any AVR without pre-outs - i use my 2 channel speakers as my mains. and i think he was talking about 7.1 analog inputs. i am kind of also suprised that these 2 things are still considered features for the 'upper end' of AVR's.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
What exactly are Burr-Brown DACs and why is this a desireable feature?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm surprised Onkyo continues to use 2EQ instead of MultEQ. Denon has moved their entire line to MultEQ since last year.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I mean 7.1 analog inputs, and I would want preamp outputs so I can use a real amp to power my speakers, not the internal amps that are inside the receiver. As for the VGA input, yes you see my point on that... most modern pc's all have HDMI, and even if they don't, most all current HDTV's either support a PC input via HDMI, or have a VGA PC input, no need to include one on the receiver, especially when it already has 5 HDMI inputs.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I agree the vga input is a bit of a facepalm for the Onkyo engineers. Why don't we add some coax inputs and an 8track interface as well.

And I certainly scratch my head till the hair is gone that they have yet again left out the pre-amp outputs.

T

Treyster

Audiophyte
I wonder if these latest receivers have the ability to pass through my hdmi tv signal while I listen to audio from a different source. The ability to pass through the TV signal is nice for those of us who have spouses who occasionally get the input output settings screwed up and would simply like to have sound and video coming from the television.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i agree that this is a kinda useful feature, but a really sad commentary on how far we have to go. even with my harmony, my wife still cannot watch tv on her own if i am not around to help her. i think this is the next 'big frontier' of AV, or at least i hope it is - making stuff that my wife (or dad) can actually use.

M

Michael

Enthusiast
I mean 7.1 analog inputs, and I would want preamp outputs so I can use a real amp to power my speakers, not the internal amps that are inside the receiver. As for the VGA input, yes you see my point on that... most modern pc's all have HDMI, and even if they don't, most all current HDTV's either support a PC input via HDMI, or have a VGA PC input, no need to include one on the receiver, especially when it already has 5 HDMI inputs.
I see that you use Emotiva as an amp, I think that Emotiva processor will give much better performance than any receiver with pre-out.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
i agree that this is a kinda useful feature, but a really sad commentary on how far we have to go. even with my harmony, my wife still cannot watch tv on her own if i am not around to help her. i think this is the next 'big frontier' of AV, or at least i hope it is - making stuff that my wife (or dad) can actually use.
Write it down. It really is idiot proof if you make a list for each source.

TV Watching>Push the Input selection video 3 on the receiver> Push the Input selection Video 1 on the TV....ect

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
And I certainly scratch my head till the hair is gone that they have yet again left out the pre-amp outputs.
So true. There's plenty of room on the back of that receiver for them. I guess if they were to add them, they fear they'd cannibalize the 70x model. :confused:

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm guessing that several people don't understand the market for this model. Onkyo's 60X series isn't aimed at enthusiasts. It's aimed at the 99.99% of the market that are ordinary people with no interest in external amps. They have the 70X for their entry level system for enthusiasts and it has pre-outs.

The feature that allows HDMI pass through actually makes sense for a bedroom receiver. My complaint with Harmony products is that they don't have a sleep timer. They claim it cuts battery life too much. By providing a pass through Onkyo is allowing you to use the TV's sleep timer on those nights when all you were watching was Leno and didn't need $2k in audio gear to make it enjoyable. ;) This will probably be the feature that drives my next bedroom receiver upgrade.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I see that you use Emotiva as an amp, I think that Emotiva processor will give much better performance than any receiver with pre-out.
How so? My RX-V1800 is a very nice receiver, I don't think the Emotiva pre/pro will do anything my current receiver won't, that I need it to do.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The Emotiva processors are buggy as hell; they make fabulous amps though. The receiver will do just fine.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
just a while back I bought a 5007. Now these hdmi 1.4 units are coming out.

UGH... ometimes wish they would not release new modles so fast. I would like to enjoy the top of the world (at least in my price range) for more than a month or two. :)

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I'm guessing that several people don't understand the market for this model. Onkyo's 60X series isn't aimed at enthusiasts. It's aimed at the 99.99% of the market that are ordinary people with no interest in external amps. They have the 70X for their entry level system for enthusiasts and it has pre-outs.

The feature that allows HDMI pass through actually makes sense for a bedroom receiver. My complaint with Harmony products is that they don't have a sleep timer. They claim it cuts battery life too much. By providing a pass through Onkyo is allowing you to use the TV's sleep timer on those nights when all you were watching was Leno and didn't need $2k in audio gear to make it enjoyable. ;) This will probably be the feature that drives my next bedroom receiver upgrade.
So let me get this straight, what you are saying is that if this is what you can afford you are not an enthusiasts?. It is NOT the gear you have that makes you an enthusiasts it is the enjoyment you get from it that makes you one. I would LOVE to have a set up with preouts and an amp for each channel but I dont make that kind of money, that does not make me any less of an enthusiasts than you are

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
So let me get this straight, what you are saying is that if this is what you can afford you are not an enthusiasts?. It is NOT the gear you have that makes you an enthusiasts it is the enjoyment you get from it that makes you one. I would LOVE to have a set up with preouts and an amp for each channel but I dont make that kind of money, that does not make me any less of an enthusiasts than you are
You're taking offense for no reason. I was responding to those complaining that the 608 does not have pre-outs. The average receiver shopper has no interest in pre-outs. If you don't like my choice of the word "enthusiast" for the 1% that care about pre-outs then feel free to substitute whatever word you like. The fact is that if you search my posts you'll find that I often recommend Onkyo's 60X line to those on a tight budget and if you read my signature you'll see I have a 606 in my bedroom. These are great little bang for the buck receivers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis