Netflix in 1080p and 5.1 Surround Sound - Not so Fast!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A flurry of activity went on today as Cnet broke a story about Netflix adding 1080p and 5.1 audio to its entire streaming library later this year. Since all of the three major game consoles - Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii support Netflix, the Wii's addition of this feature would alone be crippled by the lack of support for HD and surround sound. Existing televisions, DVD players and other media streaming devices (like Roku) would fare just perfectly with an update. Turns out we may have to wait a while.

Discuss "Netflix in 1080p and 5.1 Surround Sound - Not so Fast!" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder what, if anything that Blockbuster is doing to compete with this, and if Netflix will charge a premium to stream movies in full hd with surround sound.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm still not sold on the whole streaming thing yet because I don't think the average Netflix customer is going to have enough bandwidth to support full HD even with a ton of compression. I do like the idea of being able to throw something on the tube on those nights where there just isn't anything on TV but so far the only thing I've tried to watch via streaming netflix was a disappointment. Maybe I'll try it again someday soon - or not. ;)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I would be happy with just a TRUE 480p experience for now. Satellite and Cable have wittled down their resolution at every possible opportunity. I am disgusted with the amount of macroblocking and its growing frequency, on what they call HD stations. Standard definintion programming is even worse.

Any reliable TRUE 480p or higher signal would be welcome. Dolby would be a bonus.

Thanks for the review.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I just watched a streamed movie the other day on the XBOX 360 that was supposedely 720p, but it looked like crap. I'm sure that the native resolution supported will be 1080p, but it won't look good, just like 720p. A DVD looks better than that.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I fully agree with Clint - Just give us proper 720p and we couldn't be happier right now.
But, If internet speed penetration in US would be anything like Japan's or S.Korea's - aka cheap 100Mbp ethernet drop in every house & apartment - I'd demand 1080p with dts,
Aka alas, how come 2h 720p movie [H.264] with 5.1 DD which takes space roughly equal to one DVD, looks and sounds way better than cable's "HD" :(

The person who develops better compression than avc/h.264 should get Field Medal

B

Bret19

Audiophyte
I too agree with the list, and I would not change anything.

I love Netflix and I am just getting ready to start streaming movies. 720P with surround sound is enough to satisfy me.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I fully agree with Clint - Just give us proper 720p and we couldn't be happier right now.
But, If internet speed penetration in US would be anything like Japan's or S.Korea's - aka cheap 100Mbp ethernet drop in every house & apartment - I'd demand 1080p with dts,
Aka alas, how come 2h 720p movie [H.264] with 5.1 DD which takes space roughly equal to one DVD, looks and sounds way better than cable's "HD" :(

The person who develops better compression than avc/h.264 should get Field Medal
x264

Where's my freakin medal?:)

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I think the first bit of Article says that roku boxes could handle 1080; but the roku site shows the top spec us 720... What'd the scoop?

Btw, I was planning on getting a blu-Ray with netfix streaming, but you guys sold me on the new Oppo unit, so I'll be needing some commintary and advise on an alternative box to handle future steaming! Thx

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I think the first bit of Article says that roku boxes could handle 1080; but the roku site shows the top spec us 720... What'd the scoop?

Btw, I was planning on getting a blu-Ray with netfix streaming, but you guys sold me on the new Oppo unit, so I'll be needing some commintary and advise on an alternative box to handle future steaming! Thx
http://www.popbox.com/

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
THat looks perfect, especially if if plays my Aac files in iTunes without slot if trouble.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Some people (and many of us) spend a pretty penny on their displays and surround sound systems; Highly compressed video w/ 2 ch audio is just a waste. So if it takes a day or two to get the best source that's readily available then so be it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis