A Home Theater in Stargate Atlantis

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A home theater can be a great escape, but how about escaping all the way to the planet Lantea, the fictional home of the TV series Stargate Atlantis? Jacob Yarmuth’s very cool theater in Louisville, Ky., has the Stargate — or at least a replica of the one used in the Stargate TV series and movie to commute across the universe. It surrounds a 10-foot diagonal circular screen that shows a 96-inch diagonal image. The circle within the Stargate can also light up blue, mimicking the water that appears in the show’s Stargate prior to transport.

Discuss "A Home Theater in Stargate Atlantis" here. Read the article.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Well - I'm kinda divided on the looks of that theater ... I like that the side panels are acoustic treatments but not real thrilled with the looks of the room overall, the screen or the fact that there are only 5 seats ... the dome is pretty cool though. Also a bit surprised that it was "only" $70K. I guess the only real factor is if the owner is happy ...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Wow now that's a home theater I could watch movies in. :D

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
But don't you think all those lights and patterns and stuff would be distracting during the movie? I'm sure it looks impressive and cool when you're entering the room and looking around, but I think I'd find the decor too distracting when watching a movie. Especially something not Stargate-related. Especially if there's a comet whizzing by every thirty seconds!

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather have just the ambient light and nothing visually distracting while the movie/TV show is playing. Just my two cents.

cheers,
supervij

T

Techlord

Audioholic
Those lights aren't on during a movie, there on to show off the home theater. You know how it's lit when you walk into a movie theater, but when the movie starts the lights dim down considerably. How many of you have actually been to a movie theater? I am a hardcore Stargate fan!

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
I know, when the lights are dimmed you can enjoy the experience of a good movie with a great sound system, also im a fan of stargate..specially the atlantis series.

The trouble with themed theaters like this is... will it be cool 5 years after the show or movie has been long gone? Even the Star Wars themed theaters seem like they are destined for obsoletion... they just get a longer shelf-life.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The trouble with themed theaters like this is... will it be cool 5 years after the show or movie has been long gone? Even the Star Wars themed theaters seem like they are destined for obsoletion... they just get a longer shelf-life.
I remember my aunt buying every VHS known to man. I wonder where they are now. It's cool to like a show, but a theme taken to far loses it's fun IMO.

Z

Zuhkov

Audiophyte
As long as you can turn down the lights and effects, I like it. Always interesting to see someone else's dream made reality. Still, I agree that I'd be worried that I might get tired of the theme over the years. Hopefully, if you can spend to do it once, you can spend to do it again. I'm quite a long ways from being able to do it once.

annunaki

annunaki

I think it is a pretty neat concept. It definitely looks cool. However I was pretty disappointed to see that with as cool as that room looked he only got Polk in-wall subwoofers in the $70K price tag. :eek: At least he received some quality in-wall speakers with Atlantic Technology...

I think that if the owner of the theater is OK with the theme losing popularity over time with other and is happy with it, to each their own.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
The water effect club light may now become part of my theater. That is a cool idea for lighting the screen when not in use.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis