EMP Tek Impression Series E5TiR Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
By now, you've probably heard of the EMP Impression Series E5Ti speakers, they are the ones going for the incredibly low asking price of $400 a pair. There must be something wrong with them, right? That's what our reviewer thought at first too. But after hearing the E5Ti speakers, his mind wasn't just changed, it was blown.

Discuss "EMP Tek Impression Series E5TiR Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review" here. Read the article.

Matt34

Matt34

Somone needs to design a riser for these that can work with an existing outrigger.

Matt34

Matt34

Yes, the finish is pretty but that's it..
For $50 more you can get a real tower, the TSC TST2($449.99) and with a coupon code (Most15) you can get them for $359.98.. So If you are into looks and don't care about sound, get the EMP's.

TST2 has this (all looks and little performance speaker) beaten big time.
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/TST2-High-Performance-3-way-Tower-Speaker-Pair-P74C8.aspx
I'm assuming you have heard both in the same room with a large group of people under ABX conditions backed by 3rd party measurements to come to that ablsoute conclusion of yours?

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
I'm assuming you have heard both in the same room with a large group of people under ABX conditions backed by 3rd party measurements to come to that ablsoute conclusion of yours?
Ahhh.. yes, yes I have.:(

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, the finish is pretty but that's it..
For $50 more you can get a real tower, the TSC TST2($449.99) and with a coupon code (Most15) you can get them for $359.98.. So If you are into looks and don't care about sound, get the EMP's.

TST2 has this (all looks and little performance speaker) beaten big time.
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/TST2-High-Performance-3-way-Tower-Speaker-Pair-P74C8.aspx
Both EMP and TSC make fine products. You do realize that speaker choice is a subjective choice?

I

Imitation

Audioholic Intern
I thought this review was pretty much right on the money. For 400 bucks they're pretty sweet overall. I think you really have to decide if they fit your needs or not. My needs were a more laid back speaker than my previous klipsch's, be affordable, and keep the wife happy. Those TSC's, while possibly sounding better, didn't fit one of my needs, the wife, so they were out by default.

Having owned them for over a month I've been very happy with them. I had the same gripes as tom did, they aren't super sturdy but overall very nice construction. I also thought the midbass was a little muddy at times and could be cleaned up, but at what price? I don't know.

I'd be curious to see what EMP could do with a higher end version of these. Maybe upgrade the xover and drivers, make em a little bigger and taller, add in a few other things that they might have previously skimped on. I think that'd be interesting.

Q

QwikKotaTx

Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience comparing the E5Ti's to the Infinity Primus P362's? I'm hoping I made the right choice with audio being the concern and not looks. I paid about the same but the Infinity's are in my living room and not on back-order status.

Matt34

Matt34

Does anyone have any experience comparing the E5Ti's to the Infinity Primus P362's? I'm hoping I made the right choice with audio being the concern and not looks. I paid about the same but the Infinity's are in my living room and not on back-order status.
If the EMP compare favorable to the P362 then they have a winner on their hands IMO. My only gripe against the Infinities were their Aesthetics .

Last edited:
fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Blah...looks like there's no easy answer to my question of TST2 or E5Ti's...might have to spring for side by side comparisons after all. Anyone in the Boiling Springs, SC area interested in hearing them?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
While I am enjoying my towers that are excellent for the price, I find that the center is severely lacking and sounds muddy and distorted with certain duologue frequencies.

The towers I am more than happy with though.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
If the EMP compare favorable to the P362 then they have a winner on their hands IMO. My only gripe against the Infinities were their Aesthetics .
I would pick them over the Infinities Matt.

They have more detail overall in every section and have a similar "neutral" sound that the infinities have. The EMP's also have better low end detail and extension. I also found the midrange detail to be fantastic, this was especially evident with movie soundtracks like the new Star Trek.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I find that the center is severely lacking and sounds muddy and distorted with certain duologue frequencies.
I am wondering if its a placement issue or if your center channel is defective. Attached is a measurement on the Impression center channel which doesn't jive with what you are hearing.

I suggest calling EMP at (800) 543-2205 and ask to speak to their designer Shane Rich.

Attachments

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
Thanks, Tom!

I've been waiting for this one; as I have always seen EMP as RBH's ugly little sister, now with such gorgeous cabinetry, they are RBH's cute little sister.

Seeing as you have reviewed them now, and have nothing else to review of course because there's nothing new from Destination Audio, Status Accoustics or EMP ( :D ), how about gettng a new pair of the MC-6CT's and doing a review on those too. I know you had done it before the redesign but, from what my ears tell me in the sound room, the new ones should fare better than the last models, which were better than the even older 6CTs available in cherry finish too. They seem even more detailed and cleaner than the older models, if that's possible. A bit revealing at first but that goes after a few days break-in and they sit back and perform nicely.

Keeping reviews current online is helpful when people, such as clients, go to research products that have been around a while and are still in production. ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've been waiting for this one; as I have always seen EMP as RBH's ugly little sister, now with such gorgeous cabinetry, they are RBH's cute little sister.

Seeing as you have reviewed them now, and have nothing else to review of course because there's nothing new from Destination Audio, Status Accoustics or EMP ( ), how about gettng a new pair of the MC-6CT's and doing a review on those too. I know you had done it before the redesign but, from what my ears tell me in the sound room, the new ones should fare better than the last models, which were better than the even older 6CTs available in cherry finish too. They seem even more detailed and cleaner than the older models, if that's possible. A bit revealing at first but that goes after a few days break-in and they sit back and perform nicely.

Keeping reviews current online is helpful when people, such as clients, go to research products that have been around a while and are still in production.
Steve;

I am currently reviewing the EMP tube amp speaker combo which is basically a 41-SE on red bull and we are about to publish an 8300-SE/R tower review in the next week or two so we are up to our armpits in EMP/RBH reviews.

The new MC towers look great, maybe we will take a look at them next year. I have no doubt the redesign is all positive, especially given your experience with the brand and your comments herein.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I am wondering if its a placement issue or if your center channel is defective. Attached is a measurement on the Impression center channel which doesn't jive with what you are hearing.

I suggest calling EMP at (800) 543-2205 and ask to speak to their designer Shane Rich.
Thanks a lot Gene! I will have to give him a call tomorrow!

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the great review, I've been anxiously awaiting it. I ran the TST2's and the E5ti's by the wife, she said the TST2's looked like penguins...was not a fan at all, but loved the EMP's. Only been married 2.5 years, must try to keep the peace for many more years, so I am placing an order for the E5ti's tonight! Very excited about my first nice speaker purchase...ready to do some listening instead of just reading. :)

Q

QwikKotaTx

Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review, I've been anxiously awaiting it. I ran the TST2's and the E5ti's by the wife, she said the TST2's looked like penguins...was not a fan at all, but loved the EMP's. Only been married 2.5 years, must try to keep the peace for many more years, so I am placing an order for the E5ti's tonight! Very excited about my first nice speaker purchase...ready to do some listening instead of just reading. :)
Hope you like them. Did you get an estimate on availability? When I called EMP direct I was told backordered until end of November. Part of my reason behind the decision to go with the Infinities.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis