Toshiba REGZA 46SV670U LED LCD Television Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Quite some time ago we predicted to death of plasma technology, albeit a tad early than was comfortable for most of our readers. The large reason behind this prediction was the advances being made in LCD technology. With the introduction of LED backlighting, LCD monitors have overcome one of the final hurdles that sets them apart from their plasma counterparts – black levels. Toshiba's REGZA 46SV670U capitalizes on this equalization of technologies and maximizes the viewing experience, bringing LCD into the realm of plasma and rendering blacks like you've never seen them before.

Discuss "Toshiba REGZA 46SV670U LED LCD Television Review" here. Read the article.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
The intro page loads, but the rest are 404s.

EDIT: Fixed. Caching issue - thanks. - Admin.

C

clouso

Banned
yeah the blacks were great before the blooming issue came out!...ridiculous white clouds all over the screen in dark scenes and that means that the blacks arent that good ..it affects the PQ a lot in dark scenes....people should be aware before purchasing the 670u series!.. they suffer more from blooming then any other led local dimming sets yet!...from what i read!

Blacks are still good. What you have to realize is that as soon as a new technology comes out (especially for LCD) the propellerheads will find something "wrong" with it. Now sometimes they do us a service... other times (like this) they simply cause thousands of people to second guess a great purchase and become dissastisfied with something that works perfectly well under real-world conditions.

Some of my favorite excerpts from those pointing out this issue:

"but I was able to detect it by using complete dark screen and displaying an pause logo of PS3, only then was i able to notice any blooming, This concludes me to the fact that its very hard to actually run into blooming in real world use"

"Thanks to local dimming which controls the led brightness, the blooming effect is really hard to spot on real world use"

If you don't have the backlight cranked up, this also reduces any potential for this effect to become visible in real-world viewing. Overall, I didn't notice it as anything that was truly visible.

C

clouso

Banned
Blacks are still good. What you have to realize is that as soon as a new technology comes out (especially for LCD) the propellerheads will find something "wrong" with it. Now sometimes they do us a service... other times (like this) they simply cause thousands of people to second guess a great purchase and become dissastisfied with something that works perfectly well under real-world conditions.

"but I was able to detect it by using complete dark screen and displaying an pause logo of PS3, only then was i able to notice any blooming, This concludes me to the fact that its very hard to actually run into blooming in real world use"

"Thanks to local dimming which controls the led brightness, the blooming effect is really hard to spot on real world use"

If you don't have the backlight cranked up, this also reduces any potential for this effect to become visible in real-world viewing. Overall, I didn't notice it as anything that was truly visible.
ok maybe the set i bought earlier this year was worst then other but i swear i could see the blooming even with 'normal' use...i was unable to watch movies anymore cause of the blooming...im not telling its a bad display im saying iv experienced it very badly..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
ok maybe the set i bought earlier this year was worst then other but i swear i could see the blooming even with 'normal' use...i was unable to watch movies anymore cause of the blooming...im not telling its a bad display im saying iv experienced it very badly..
Have you done any kind of calibration? I found my Aquos to be terrible with many of the factory settings and a quick calibration got it looking very nice.

C

clouso

Banned
Have you done any kind of calibration? I found my Aquos to be terrible with many of the factory settings and a quick calibration got it looking very nice.
no i didnt do any pro calibration on it...dont get me wrong when i bought the 55 670u it was because i really liked the PQ in the store but then the blooming issue started to be very bad a week or 2 later...it might be a good display but i just exchanged it for the panny tc-p54g10...

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
Let me see? The Panasonic 50" V10 Plasma list price is $300 less for a bigger better picture! Tuff choice!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What can I say, I like to support the dying breeds. I still support HD DVD as much as possible (only for my own personal gain).:D

Has anyone seen the new Sharp LED local dimming panels. From what little I've seen from them they look very good.

G

gorman

Audioholic Intern
... better than plasma how? You didn't even manage to calibrate in proximity of 6500k... I'll keep my 60" Kuro for the time being.

What about view angles, I still haven't managed to watch an LCD set that produced acceptable (to me) results in this area.

And no, don't suggest me a projector, I want a TV.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
... better than plasma how? You didn't even manage to calibrate in proximity of 6500k... I'll keep my 60" Kuro for the time being.

What about view angles, I still haven't managed to watch an LCD set that produced acceptable (to me) results in this area.

And no, don't suggest me a projector, I want a TV.
LCD is better than Plasmas in bright rooms. Most people I know sit in front of the TV to watch it instead off to the side and the screens on most Plasmas are far more refelctive than screens on LCDs in general. There are always excpetions to the rule..the Kurio being one of them. But then again the Kurio is leagues ahead again of any other plasma.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Yeah its kinda funny what you find when diggign with a magifying glass that's so not real world. I don't notice any blooming on my Vizio at all and I've started to look for it. Mind you I also have the backlighting level fairly low as well.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah its kinda funny what you find when diggign with a magifying glass that's so not real world. I don't notice any blooming on my Vizio at all and I've started to look for it. Mind you I also have the backlighting level fairly low as well.
What Vizio do you have, is it LED backlit? I don't believe other CCFL backlit televisions have a blooming affect, I think this is only a small issue for LED backlit panels.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What Vizio do you have, is it LED backlit? I don't believe other CCFL backlit televisions have a blooming affect, I think this is only a small issue for LED backlit panels.
Vizio SV470M and its backlit. I don't think it uses edge lighting but a quick check in the manual would hopefully reveal this.

spyboy

spyboy

Junior Audioholic
Plasma has its place. That being in the homes of 10% of the buying public. It doesn't bother me at all that 90% of TV sales are LCD.

Picture quality of plasma is slightly better with plasma, though the screens are more reflective. Plasma is also the better choice in the 65 inch screen size.

It is nice to be able to choose, and I don't have to knock either technology. When plasma has run its course, people will just have one less choice.

You don't have to buy a Kuro to get a really fine plasma.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
I'm gonna have to hand in my propeller. I thought LCD tvs started looking pretty good 2 years ago already.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Vizio SV470M and its backlit. I don't think it uses edge lighting but a quick check in the manual would hopefully reveal this.
Unless you bought it this year, I don't think they had any LED backlit sets until very recently.

My LCD looks OK off axis and it is fluorescent backlit, but nobody in my room sits off axis because my room is long and narrow, so all the seating faces the set; nothing to the side.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Your Vizio is CCFL backlit, which is similar to neon or flourecent type lighting. Vizio only has one LED backlit set available right now.

http://www.vizio.com/review/product/list/id/125/#ratings

Blooming is an effect on LED backlit panels, not CCFLs.
I take it that LED backlighting is btter still in terms of getting black resolution.. Oh well ...Its all I could afford at this time and I'll wait till the kids leave the nest before buying something btter. Its still miles better than my 10 year old Toshiba 32" CRT TV that i've been using until this purchase. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I take it that LED backlighting is btter still in terms of getting black resolution.. Oh well ...Its all I could afford at this time and I'll wait till the kids leave the nest before buying something btter. Its still miles better than my 10 year old Toshiba 32" CRT TV that i've been using until this purchase. :)
I wouldn't doubt that it was a significant improvement over what you had. My Sony KDL-46W3000 is CCFL backlit, and it's one of the worst CCFLs I've ever seen. The 32" Westinghouse I was using had more subtle backlighting than this thing. I can clearly see the bulbs behind the screen, which is very annoying at times.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis