Wal-Mart Shrugged - DVD and Blu-ray Fell

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Never underestimate the power of Wal-Mart! The retail juggernaut has the power to destroy a product line’s sales by deciding not to sell it - or simply pushing it to the bottom shelf. Wal-Mart recently trimmed down its DVD shelf to free up space for better selling items. Now tremors are being felt across the entertainment industry. But is Wal-Mart contributing to a consumer paradigm shift or simply responding to one?

Discuss "Wal-Mart Shrugged – DVD and Blu-ray Fell" here. Read the article.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Kind of weird to post an editorial as news. While Wal-Mart is making shifts of products, as they always have been, they are best known for their cheap-as-can-be discs, not necessarily for putting out the best price on a product on opening day.

What is really stupid is that the article does pull up numbers for current DVD sales in 2009, but does not actually break out how BD sales are doing compared to 2008. I would think that if they are going to include BD as part of the editorial then it would have helped to show that it remains to be seen how this move by Wal Mart will affect BD sales which are up XXX% compared to last year.

Kind of silly editorial IMO.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Kind of weird to post an editorial as news. While Wal-Mart is making shifts of products, as they always have been, they are best known for their cheap-as-can-be discs, not necessarily for putting out the best price on a product on opening day.

What is really stupid is that the article does pull up numbers for current DVD sales in 2009, but does not actually break out how BD sales are doing compared to 2008. I would think that if they are going to include BD as part of the editorial then it would have helped to show that it remains to be seen how this move by Wal Mart will affect BD sales which are up XXX% compared to last year.

I think digital downloads are nice, but I want my physical media for now.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think digital downloads are nice, but I want my physical media for now.
I will always want my physical media, with the option to make it digital to use as I see fit for whatever device(s) I choose.

AccessGuy

AccessGuy

Audioholic Intern
Blu-Ray Pricing

Blu-Ray will never take off until the ridiculous premium over standard DVDs is reduced or even eliminated. I only buy Blu-Ray when selected items are on 60-70% sale. These are usually box sets of TV series or occasionally films plus sequels. And of course there is always the used market on Amazon and eBay for some greatly discounted discs. Not only does the premium have to disappear, but the fictitious "list" prices have to come down to reasonable starting points, say $19.95 rather than $39.95 or even $29.95

jinjuku

jinjuku

Be the pig...

It's funny, the lesson they try to teach you in school with Animal Farm and the lesson that you should really have learned: Be the frikkin' PIG!

Sad but true. Because I know the people that are implementing DRM the way they are, the people that are banishing any form of physical ownership, all learned that lesson.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
crocks and sweats? one could hope.
my sincere apologies in advance.

peopleofwalmart.com

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Check that. "They are best known for being cheap-as-can-be, period".

I can find the figure later if someone deisres, but my friend has done business with them for a while, and even their upper echelon employees get chump change for travel + expenses. I can't remember how low, but it's basically just good enough for Motel 6. Their motto is basically that all sacrifices are made so that they offer the lowest prices. DVDs are cheaper than BDs. Go figure.

Walmart and Audioholics?

I'm not going to bother looking up what their speaker selection is. TV? I'm sure they sell a huge 37" LCD. Ok, I had to look, at largest size category, the most expensive unit is $1,768. Wow, I'm surprised there.

I didn't even read it. Yet, at least.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman

From the article:

According to VideoBusiness.com, Blu-ray sales are experiencing healthy growth, for now. DVD and Blu-ray hardware sales are currently neck-and-neck, if you discount video game consoles. But, include PS3 (and its built-in, mid-end BD player) and Blu-ray player sales get a slight bump ahead of DVD.

Forecasts indicate Blu-ray sales should continue to grow through 2013. But it’ll never catch up to DVD player’s household presence, this is because of competing options for your home-movie dollar.

-------------------------------------------------

I didn't catch any real numbers but I don't think there is any dispute that BD is growing fast. This article certainly didn't challenge that notion.

The point is - (according to some sources) disc media is going to peak in 2013.

On the editorial side, IMHO it's a tragedy people buy into downloads and/or Video On Demand because:

1/ The quality is crap.
2/ Ownership of downloaded media is questionable with DRM.

I support disc media!

Interesting, I would have thought someone would take exception to sweats and crocs fashion cracks in the article. It's good to know Audioholics readers get dressed before going out in public. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't catch any real numbers but I don't think there is any dispute that BD is growing fast. This article certainly didn't challenge that notion.

The point is - (according to some sources) disc media is going to peak in 2013.

On the editorial side, IMHO it's a tragedy people buy into downloads and/or Video On Demand because:

1/ The quality is crap.
2/ Ownership of downloaded media is questionable with DRM.

I support disc media!
As an owner of a PS3, mainly for Blu-ray, since release day, and with nearly 100 BDs I've always been a huge supporter and proponent of the Blu-ray format.

For all regards, I believe that disc based media has seen it's peak already. Overall, we are seeing a decline in the sale of disc based media, but we have the beauty of a new HD format which most likely is the last we will see forever, yet it hasn't reached it's peak. So, as an industry, regardless of Wal-Mart backing off of their two cent products, which really never included much Blu-ray, it doesn't matter and certainly isn't causing Blu-ray to 'FALL' as the title proclaims. Which is just one of the complaints I've regularly had, despite my respect, with Audioholics in that there are several small, and extremely unwarranted jabs which have been consistently made against the BD technology for the past few years.

BD is doing very well considering the lousy economy, Wal-Mart or not, BD is on track to see in excess of 100% growth this year and players seem to have become the new standard of purchase.

According to most analysts, BD is on track to outsell DVD by 2011/2012 and at that point, we may have a clearer picture of where digital downloads stand in all of this.

No doubt though, we could see BD having a 20+ year life as a viable product, which sure as heck doesn't warrant the title of the article.

Fall? My right foot!

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
According to most analysts, BD is on track to outsell DVD by 2011/2012 and at that point, we may have a clearer picture of where digital downloads stand in all of this.
Ha ha! Very punny! ;):D

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
price, price and how much does it cost

Blue Ray Discs are just too expensive. Period. Pricing a three disc set of BOURNE movies is a mere $80! Business people have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot. There is no way I want a Blue Ray player for $199
if it costs me a $27 for one movie. Not just for an improvement in the
picture. Unless the Blue Ray HDMI cable runs through your Dolby Digital
receiver and back to the TV you cannot receive True HD Audio. Few people are going to go to the trouble.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Blue Ray Discs are just too expensive. Period. Pricing a three disc set of BOURNE movies is a mere $80! Business people have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot. There is no way I want a Blue Ray player for $199
if it costs me a $27 for one movie. Not just for an improvement in the
picture. Unless the Blue Ray HDMI cable runs through your Dolby Digital
receiver and back to the TV you cannot receive True HD Audio. Few people are going to go to the trouble.
Don't ever do my shopping. :eek:

Most BDs actually sell for less than $20, and that's not including package deals, BWGO, BTGO, coupons, coupon codes, trade in promotions, what have you.

This list is a modem burner, but check the pricing on the right:

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

Even if BD represents twice the cost (which is exaggerating, as new), it's still worth it. Just for the video, 6x the resolution for only 2x the price.

I know I sure would never buy a Blue Ray player. But I bet it would go well with those Paradime speakers I got off that white van... lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis