Paradigm Reference Signature Series V.3 - First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Ribbed. It's not just for her pleasure anymore. Paradigm has carried this ribbed/corrugated butyl rubber surround theme into their entire Signature product line for a claimed 3dB more efficiency and higher output over its predecessors. The re-vamp of their acclaimed Reference Signature series piqued my interest into soliciting a review of the S2s after the 2009 CEDIA show. We’ve always been impressed with the quality of Paradigm speakers so we are confident these won't disappoint.

Discuss "Paradigm Reference Signature Series V.3 - First Look" here. Read the article.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Well, thats a timely first look. When someone posted that the new Signature drivers had significantly upped their efficiency it left me wondering why Paradigm would do something nobody is exactly asking for. Looks like there is significantly more to the surround changes.

I'm looking forward to the full review of the S2.

M

mechafreq

Audiophyte
Nobody? I'm looking for efficient speakers to make the use out of a low powered tube amp. :p

F

fredk

Audioholic General
You are right. I should have put not many. It does come up, but is not a commonly asked after feature.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
One thing not mentioned was that with all the upgrades they made to the driver compliment, they did not increase prices on the .v3 series.

I am a bit concerned about the mid range driver and the change from a solid phase plug to a dust cap that is made to look like a solid phase plug. IMO it could have been handled better in a speaker of this caliber. Why bother - no need to fake it for looks.... Maybe someone from Paradigm can fill in the reasoning on that here...

When I questioned the guys at CEDIA - they were miffed that I brought that up, and then kinda fumbled about - finally stating that there would be too much air movement/leaking around the phase plug with the increase of cone movement.

Im sure the upgrades will be a nice step up, but I certainly wasn't dissapointed with the performance and output from the .v2 Sigs... My intentions would certainly not be toward using them in a 2 channel setup - so the extra SPL may not be warranted.

For what its worth - the new upcoming 2009 18" TC-Sounds LMS's (Raw Sub Woofer Drivers) are going in this same direction with the "Non-Limiting Corrugated Surround" (Ribbed) material and design to gain even more excursion and output then previous models - which were already rated some of the best measured and performing drivers on the planet.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Warp,

I guess your post answers the question I asked in my reply to your PM. The phase plug being replaced by the dustcap was one of the things I noticed too. I would have expeced more considering this is their flagship line. I will agree that I don't really need them to be more efficienct than v2's either and I am planning on using them for 2 channel. I did talk to a guy who has a friend/dealer connection. He claims the increase in efficiency is because the v2's were not utilizing all the capabilities of the Be tweeter. Don't know if it's true or not, but it does make me curious.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
from your pm oppo... I did not get the chance to listen to the .v3's, they just had them on display, but in all honesty - I just had a conversation with my dealer who was also at cedia and we came to the same conclusion that the faux phase plug was truly a corner cutting move on paradigms part - IMO just not worthy of their flagship lineup... my goal will be to acquire a set of .v2 before they phase them out.

I'm sure that could very well be that they were trying to match the output capabilities of the Be tweet, but really ?

I think Paradigm is really starting to get too many Irons in the Fire - and starting to lose sight of the prize.... too bad

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Hmm. Improving damping with the new surround and increasing linear excursion should give you cleaner sound should it not? I wonder if the greater excursion also translates to better bottom end extension.

It seems to me Paradigm is trying to drive improvements while maintaining a price point (damn marketing guys ;) ).

I have no idea what a phase plug does, so I haven't the slightest clue how eliminating it would affect sound quality.

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
i wish they would have done something cosmetic....like using magnetic grills to get rid of all the grill holes. But i guess since they recommend keeping the grills on its kind of a moot point.

M

mechafreq

Audiophyte
It has been suggested that more efficient designs have better dynamics. A pretty simple analogy is the difference between a heavy car and a lightweight sports car. A lighter car makes performance gains in many areas at once. Not certain this applies to loudspeakers as directly; in theory it does, assuming no other significant variables like a reduction in cone rigidity.

I doubt the efficiency improvements are due to the tweeter. Usually, most of the power consumption in a loudspeaker comes from the low end and gradually decreases as you measure the higher frequencies. I won't make any solid assumptions, but it seems dubious that the reduction in power is from the tweeter.

From what I see and read, it's mostly a reduction in the cone mass, decreased resistance of the new surrounds, and a new motor design.

Whatever the case, does it sound and perform better? :confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am a bit concerned about the mid range driver and the change from a solid phase plug to a dust cap that is made to look like a solid phase plug. IMO it could have been handled better in a speaker of this caliber. Why bother - no need to fake it for looks.... Maybe someone from Paradigm can fill in the reasoning on that here...
I agree 100% but I didn't realize this carried thru to their Signature Reference line. I saw it on their other line and was disappointed but many manufacturers are doing this these days. I believe Monitor Audio was the first with their Silver line back in the day. I'm not a big fan of what I call quasi-phase plugs as they are used solely for aesthetics and marketing. They certainly don't "help" performance but I guess they look cool.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Gene - thanks for chiming in on this....

I am curious if utilizing a plug/faux dust cap of this nature would somehow improve in the response of the driver at one point or another. I had a hard time finding info as a plus or minus one way or another
here.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Excerpt from a review on the .v3 Studio 20 by "Secrets of Home Theater" written by Brian Florian..... found HERE

While at first glance, the mid/bass driver appears similar to the previous version of this speaker, it has been redesigned. New is the solid aluminum phase plug. If you've never seen one in the flesh you might think is is simply a cone-shaped dust cap, but it's not.

Unlike a dust cover, a phase plug is not part of the moving mass, but rather is fixed to the stationary motor structure. So, the speaker cone moves back and forth, but the phase plug does not move at all.

The voice coil drives the center of the cone in a piston-like manner. The design of the cone then takes into account the required stiffness, mass and loss characteristics in order to maximize its performance. With a phase plug, you reduce the path length differences about the cone surface, smoothing and reinforcing the frequency response, particularly in terms of the highest frequencies the driver is capable of (in fact, Paradigm tells us the differences made by the phase plug vs. a dust cap can be seen/measured right through the crossover region).

Other potential benefits gained from incorporating a phase plug include eliminating compression under the dust cap (reducing distortion in extreme cases), reducing air flow through the VC gap (which can get quite turbulent in extreme cases and is certainly unpredictable). There is some thermal dissipation one gives up by doing this, but the phase plug itself can serve as a heat sink for the voice coil and magnet pole.

All in all, while it should never be taken at face value as automatically translating into a superior product, a properly designed driver encompassing a phase plug makes a heck of a lot of sense over the established tradition. So, why don't all speakers have phase plugs? It is more expensive to build them this way.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Most of what Brian writes about the phase plug is spot on but there are some downsides too. B/C of the reduced surface area of the cone, you sacrifice a bit of efficiency at the lower frequencies. Also, phase plug drivers typically don't play as loud in that region and are more prone to bottoming out than a similar driver with a dust cap. As a midrange, they can work wonders in a 3 way system since the driver can play higher in frequency and blend better with the tweeter. They can also reduce off axis beaming which can improve imaging as well.

So the question remains is the driver in the v.3 a true phase plug or just a fancy dust cap? I emailed Paradigm for clarification.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Also, phase plug drivers typically don't play as loud in that region and are more prone to bottoming out than a similar driver with a dust cap.
So, if Paradigm's objective is to get higher efficiency out of these speakers, eliminating the phase plug would make some sense?

S

syd123

Enthusiast
For what reason would Paradigm be trying to improve the efficiency of the Signature series when this is already one of their competitive strengths? ..I have S8's (v.2) and they are by far the most efficient speakers that I have owned (Vandersteen 3A sigs, PSB Stratus Minis, Spica TC-50's). I drive them with a 150w. Bryston 3Bsst amp and they play unbelievably loud without the slightest hint of strain. ..And their bass extension is absolutely extraordinary as well (for music, anyway; if you're into HT you'll need a Sub no matter what main speakers you use). Moreover, in NONE of the professional reviews of the Signatures that I have read has lackluster efficiency or bass extension been noted. ..Again, these were always mentioned as strenths.

..To be honest I can't help but wonder if ditching the Phase plug isn't really just a way to hold down manufacturing costs. ..I'm sure that with the economy being what it is Paradigm is probably selling fewer of their Signature speakers than what was originally planned for the lineup. Reducing mfg. costs of the series could be a way to achieve the required return-on-investment at lower sales volumes. ..And I don't mean this as a criticism. All business need to make money to stay in business and Paradigm is not exception. ..Even if this is the case Paradigm sells great speakers at very competitive prices.

In any case, before believing reports that the V.3's SOUND better than V.2's you should make sure that any comparisons are made side-by-side with volumes levels precisely matched. ..To say, "I heard them at the show and they certainly sound better" is basically meaningless.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis