Yamaha RX-V2065 First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Yamaha RX-V2065 is the latest in the '65 series of receivers. At $1399 MSRP, it is currently the most expensive. At that price point you'd expect a lot of performance, and you'd get it. With 130 watts per channel, all the latest HD audio formats decoded internally, dual subwoofer outputs, high end DACs and attention to detail in maintaining audio fidelity, the RX-V2065 doesn't disappoint. On the video side, you have analogue upscaling to 1080p and dual (simultaneous) HDMI outputs.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V2065 First Look" here. Read the article.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yikes!! I did a comparison between the 2065, 1900, and 1065. The 2065 and the 1900 are rated for the same power output but the 2065 weighs almost 10 lbs less. No thanks. The 1900 in my book is hands better than the 2065 despite having a cryptic display. Cryptic displays may be harder to onterpret but they don'y affect the sound. Hope this links works

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/Detail.html?compitem1=5041060&compitem2=5016804&compitem3=5036142&CTID=5000200&VNM=LIVE&comp_items=5016804&comp_items=5041060&comp_items=5036142&B_compare.x=16&B_compare.y=4

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Try almost 15 pounds less.:eek: edit: I see I was looking at shipping weight, which means nothing to me in a cross comparison, why don't they put the weight of the receivers themselves in the comparison instead?

It looks like it would perform well as a preamp/processor, while having an edgy appearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Try almost 15 pounds less.:eek: edit: I see I was looking at shipping weight, which means nothing to me in a cross comparison, why don't they put the weight of the receivers themselves in the comparison instead?

It looks like it would perform well as a preamp/processor, while having an edgy appearance.
I suppose but for $1400 clams, thats pretty expensive. I'd be hanging on to your Yammy for a while until these guys bring back something a little meatier. Who knows, I may be jumpin the gun a little and the weight difference may make no difference as far as the amp's performance goes. But 10lbs is alot.

On a side note, when the hell is Audioholics gonna start testing this stuff?? Its good that they bring us the news but follow it up with some real tests now.

How about it Gene and company? When are you going to really test these new receivers from Yamaha. The RX-11 has already been tested and it's been out for over a year now and the RX-7 is been out a while too. That's old news now.

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
How about it Gene and company? When are you going to really test these new receivers from Yamaha. The RX-11 has already been tested and it's been out for over a year now and the RX-7 is been out a while too. That's old news now
It may be awhile. I plan on testing different brands of receivers in the near future and our other reviewers don't have bench test capability for receivers.

Someone start a poll in the A/V receiver thread on which new models you would like to see me bench test and I will pick the most requested one. thanks.

E

Erika111

Audiophyte
hi,

Yes ! It looks like it would perform well as a preamp/processor, while having an edgy appearance.

Aussie_Z

Aussie_Z

Audiophyte
Amplifier on a diet?

I am also a big Yamaha fan ... for a long time ... and over lots of pieces of equipment. There build quality is good and their service is good. Oh ... and the surround sound modes are great. Over the past few years, with 1) features being dropped/moved, 2) video conversion standards (pull-down) being iffy in some cases and 3) bang for the buck seeming to go down ... I am beginning to waiver.

On this type of amp a weight loss of 15 pounds is significant. I think I will wait till I hear a really good explanation of why that weight is not needed any more. Maybe it has moved over to a digital amplifier stage?

Let's hope somebody can explain it ... because I really need a new amp! :(

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
You can tell a lot by looking at cabinet size, weight and power consumption and comparing to earlier models.

If we knew the VA rating of the main transformer, we could even be more sure.

There is pretty good evidence that they reduced weight by reducing power transformer size, which directly impacts power output.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think this unit would make a very expensive pre-pro and I would definately find something alot cheaper with the same capabilities. This from a new diehard Yamaha fan. I don't understand what Yamaha is doing by cheaping out like this. They are the market leader in receivers but if they keep this BS on for very long, they'll fall behind for cerrtain.

J

jcmiguel

Audiophyte
FLAC on RX-V2065

am quite interested to learn what are the flac player capabilities. Flac can be stereo or multichannel, linear pcm up to 32 bits. I have a large collection of FLAC files with some multichannel and a receiver that can deal with that would be perfect.

Also, could someone let me know if the multizone could handle the following setup:
Zone 1 has a home theater with 7.1 speakers
Zone 2 is a stereo speaker setup wired to the receiver.
I want to know if I can change from 7.1 to 5.1 and use the 2 channels for zone 2 without having to rewire everything, just using the GUI, and return to 7.1 when I am done.

Thanks

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
A poll for a wishing A/V Receiver tested? - Sounds good to me.

Someone start a poll in the A/V receiver thread on which new models you would like to see me bench test and I will pick the most requested one. thanks.
1. Onkyo TX-NR3007 -> Personally, I'll vote for this one first.

2. Denon AVR-4810CI -> That one too.

3. Marantz SR8004 -> Is that one out yet?

* By the way, is there such a poll?
** There is now, I just started it. :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis